Solar panels , would you ?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will probably stray into the political area if we go too far with this discussion but why isn't it already policy that any new build property in this country has to legally have solar panels installed? If we really are wanting to achieve net zero by 2050 then surely this is an easy and achievable measure that should be taken.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
amazing how affordable electricity could be if you could actually get solar panels and a battery installed without having to wait, at a reasonable price (not the current inflated ones) and if they paid you a proper rate rather than the current derisory one (it should be tied to rate theyre charging their highest rate tariff ie 80% of cost). If only we didnt have to worry about corporate profits and shareholder dividends lol

Will for comparison, if go faster was still 14p day and 5.5 night I'd pay £590 a year for that electric

However I did get in just at the right moment, I ordered this system in Feb when the market was just worrying rather than down right mental, demand has gone up 300% since then

My installer has a 6month waiting list now (I could have got the panels in by April I just put it off to fit in with when I was off)

Battery is 5th battery on a order of 5 arriving tomorrow.. the rest are now pushed back 2 months

(This battery was suppose to be battery 37 of an order of 40 delivered by 12 August) after first being told June but ofc global issues can't be helped

I've been very impressed with octopus tho. They have been very good and honest. I mean I'm still on that tarif due to an error. It effected a lot of us and what they could have done was given us those rates for a month then sent the notice of change of new tariff then moved us to new one but they just say nope we will honour them for 12 months

That plus some other things like innovations in trails with load shifting etc

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will probably stray into the political area if we go too far with this discussion but why isn't it already policy that any new build property in this country has to legally have solar panels installed? If we really are wanting to achieve net zero by 2050 then surely this is an easy and achievable measure that should be taken.

It's pathetic tho when they have to, they do the bear minimum...brand new massive roof. 4 panels (could fit 12 easily)

Just enough to tick the box and keep the profit margins for the developers

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's pathetic tho when they have to, they do the bear minimum...brand new massive roof. 4 panels (could fit 12 easily)

Just enough to tick the box and keep the profit margins for the developers

When I come to power all new build roofs will have to be covered in solar panels, as well as integrated cycle paths for any new build estates.

Obviously that's day two as I'll be busy on day one banning pineapple from pizza and reclassifying the tomato as a vegetable as everyone knows it's not really a fruit.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I come to power all new build roofs will have to be covered in solar panels, as well as integrated cycle paths for any new build estates.

Obviously that's day two as I'll be busy on day one banning pineapple from pizza and reclassifying the tomato as a vegetable as everyone knows it's not really a fruit.

Make the tomato "only for condiments" and youll get my vote ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Will for comparison, if go faster was still 14p day and 5.5 night I'd pay £590 a year for that electric

However I did get in just at the right moment, I ordered this system in Feb when the market was just worrying rather than down right mental, demand has gone up 300% since then

My installer has a 6month waiting list now (I could have got the panels in by April I just put it off to fit in with when I was off)

Battery is 5th battery on a order of 5 arriving tomorrow.. the rest are now pushed back 2 months

(This battery was suppose to be battery 37 of an order of 40 delivered by 12 August) after first being told June but ofc global issues can't be helped

I've been very impressed with octopus tho. They have been very good and honest. I mean I'm still on that tarif due to an error. It effected a lot of us and what they could have done was given us those rates for a month then sent the notice of change of new tariff then moved us to new one but they just say nope we will honour them for 12 months

That plus some other things like innovations in trails with load shifting etc

Buts that the whole point, it shouldnt be about getting in at the right moment (and still having to wait for months on end for it to be fully operational), it should be available to everyone who wants it, in a realistic time frame at a fair price, to enable people to generate a chunk of their energy requirements

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Make the tomato "only for condiments" and youll get my vote ;)

With two exceptions I could go with that. There's something magical about cheese, tomato and salad cream in a tiger baguette that means I will have to allow it. And also beef tomato and mozzarella salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Obviously in both cases the tomatoes would have to be home grown as shop bought just doesn't cut it. How about we compromise by banning the sale of tomatoes in any form other than tinned (needed for spag bol or lasagne) or condiment?

I hope I can count on your vote.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With two exceptions I could go with that. There's something magical about cheese, tomato and salad cream in a tiger baguette that means I will have to allow it. And also beef tomato and mozzarella salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Obviously in both cases the tomatoes would have to be home grown as shop bought just doesn't cut it. How about we compromise by banning the sale of tomatoes in any form other than tinned (needed for spag bol or lasagne) or condiment?

I hope I can count on your vote.

Yep that works for me ( albeit passata not tinned ;) ) :)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Buts that the whole point, it shouldnt be about getting in at the right moment (and still having to wait for months on end for it to be fully operational), it should be available to everyone who wants it, in a realistic time frame at a fair price, to enable people to generate a chunk of their energy requirements

Supply and demand tho, my system is a fair price tbh for what I've got

Only reason prices have gone up is because of demand, supply issues and cost of living increases

I'm only still waiting because of a global supply issue , can't really blame them for that

I could have had another battery up and in by the summer but I was in for the long haul because I personally wanted tesla

Only really like building work, more people who want builders the longer you wait

It should have better feed in tariffs to encourage people to get it

Because energy was cheap nobody saw the need for them

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Supply and demand tho, my system is a fair price tbh for what I've got

Only reason prices have gone up is because of demand, supply issues and cost of living increases

I'm only still waiting because of a global supply issue , can't really blame them for that

I could have had another battery up and in by the summer but I was in for the long haul because I personally wanted tesla

Only really like building work, more people who want builders the longer you wait

Glad youre happy with what you got and paid and how long it took to arrive, because the vast majority of would be customers arent!

New heating oil tank be here soon its that ludicrous.................

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Glad youre happy with what you got and paid and how long it took to arrive, because the vast majority of would be customers arent!

New heating oil tank be here soon its that ludicrous.................

I mean I'm not over the moon but when you see what's gone on with the world with covid, delays in China and now Russia (Elon donated a load of powerwalls to Ukraine to help power their houses) kind of got to accept it

Can't do much about it everyone's in the same boat

Its not ideal, but for example if it was like my mum's next door neighbour who's windows are delayed and it's delaying his building work that would be much more frustrating than my battery (when I don't have the make the final payment until it's installed)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I chased the installer today because I like to stay on top of it , get ahead of the game. Instead of them saying when they can install I can then pick when im free.

anyways battery is in their warehouse (as in the office) and install booked for 3rd october

happy days

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Battery installed today, now effectively of the grid, be interesting to see the savings if any

electricity cost since July 1st until today £127.51,

what battery did you go for?

I have just run the numbers. 13.5 usable battery 90% efficient rating so allowed for 1.5 drop off a day and 12 usable (so 12 shifted into my cheaper night rate)

night rate currently 0.055p instead of 0.1412 , in feb becomes 0.0825 night and 0.4013 day

anyways accounting for the yearly cost of the drop off (£39.93) the 4380Kw shifted to the cheap night rate becomes £360 (including that drop off) instead of £1372 . so roughly £1000 saving a year (just from battery)

Edit once you times 12 X 365 with the saving from the new go rate (when it goes up) becomes £1350 after the base loss . So basically £1500 including the solar

it does make the solar near on impossible to work out the yearly saving anymore because what I use will back charge the battery instead of not use the grid so wont be saving the 0.4 rate most of the time will be saving the night rate.. unless its a very big day

however my fixed out going (because i can only have this due to being on the EV tariff) is 0.041 a KW so If I do a rough cal at 3500 kw of solar a year produced £141 saving .. add that to the battery saving and its not to be sniffed at per month ..

obviously these are the lowest figures and actual saving will be much higher on days the solar charges the battery (stopping me drawing from the grid for days possibly) oh except when charging the car... wont have enough on the battery to charge the car for sure.

total saving thus far since 9th may install £231 (would have been a lot more obviously with the battery sooner but such is life)

Last edited:

MikeB68

Visit site
Had our 7.5KWh battery installed this week for £6K and fully charged in the bright sunlight within 4 hours from our 3.5KWh solar panels.
I will be taking note of the power readings over the coming winter.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had our 7.5KWh battery installed this week for £6K and fully charged in the bright sunlight within 4 hours from our 3.5KWh solar panels.
I will be taking note of the power readings over the coming winter.

Check out economy 7 on octupus from October 1st. Heard 15p on night rate which if you don't have ev is outstanding

Also their agile outgoing is brilliant rates

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had to join this lefty tree hugging thread….

Looking to get panels and Tesla powerwall. Emailed all the installers on their website…. Not a single one has responded. The demand outweighs supply at the moment

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Project Solar was my chosen supplier, had a few issues but nothing that couldn't be sorted after a quick phone call.

5 panels on the front aspect and 5 on the rear, plus a 5.8/6 me battery.

Now it's all installed I'm going to apply for the SEG.