Soccer AM - being cancelled

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This from Andy Goldstein who took over from Lovejoy -

'' The problem was that when I took over [on Soccer AM] from Tim [Lovejoy], it was a little bit like David Moyes taking over from Sir Alex Ferguson – you’re on a hiding to nothing.

“But when Tim left he also took all the writers with him, so I turned up and there was just blueprint whosoever left of that show, and I didn’t really enjoy it.

“I remember about four or five weeks in, I was sitting on the couch just thinking, ‘This is awful’, which is really sad because it was just such a phenomenon . ''

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The show definitely dropped off when Lovejoy left. However, he also took Fenners and Sheephead with him. I’m sure Adam Smith left at a similar time (but maybe slightly later). Goldstein and Rushdon were poor replacements. When Fenners came back 6 or 7 years ago it improved a lot in my opinion.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like a few on here, loved the Tim + Helen years, when it was a little un-PC (Soccerette, etc.). Fenners was great with Tim, etc. When they left...switched off and watching something else. Recently, I watched a tiny bit here and there, mainly Fenners' Jeff Stelling piece.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The wife and I both used to watch it when Lovejoy was still presenting, she's a football fan, but I'm most certainly not. It was very entertaining even for a non football fan.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Enjoyed it in the early days. I played golf Saturday afternoons, and it fitted well in to the lazy Saturday morning routine. Gave up on it when the original cast moved on. Wouldn’t have a clue who’s hosting it now - saw the odd bit but it just doesn’t grab me.

D

Deleted member 15344

Some of the early stuff was ok , but cringy most of the time but then was never really a fan of Lovejoy

Watch a few of the recent ones with Bullard and it’s ok

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just watched a bit of it this morning after this thread, absolutely cringe terrible.
Fenners just seems like he’s trying too hard. Maybe a good writer when the Rev Lovejoy was the executioner but just didn’t come across funny.