So what are you listening to at the moment?

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Probably going to open myself up to heaps of ridicule with this, but I am loving listening to quite a lot of various Americana artists at the moment. Specifically Drew Holcomb and Dan Tyminski at the moment, but there are others as well. Anyone else listen to this sort of stuff and have recommendations?

Quite a fan of indie-folk/americana and have a liked the few songs I've heard by Drew Holcomb. Non-top playing of Aoife O'Donovan's latest currently - magnificent. Try Sarah Jarosz as well or Jason Isbell if you're brave enough to go a tad more country:D. Good scene at the moment, try the NPR Music Tiny Desk Concerts on YouTube - they get several of the really good up and coming artists in...

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Quite a fan of indie-folk/americana and have a liked the few songs I've heard by Drew Holcomb. Non-top playing of Aoife O'Donovan's latest currently - magnificent. Try Sarah Jarosz as well or Jason Isbell if you're brave enough to go a tad more country:D. Good scene at the moment, try the NPR Music Tiny Desk Concerts on YouTube - they get several of the really good up and coming artists in...
Thanks. I'll check them out. No problem going country. Dan Tyminsky is Bluegrass... so got pretty open tastes :)

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Aoife O'Donovan's on Prime Music so listening now. Very good indeed. My sort of stuff. Easy listening if you only listen as you're working but when you pay attention there's layers of complexity. I love the gentle chug of the banjo.

Glad you like it - helluva song writer it seems and her stuff seems to be being picked up by the bigger Nashville acts to cover. If you get the chance Sarah Jarosz should knock your socks off, her talent often leaves me speechless:eek:

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Unfortunately first impressions didn't do it for me. Can't put a finger on it. Will give her another go though and see how it fairs.

Fair enough - I won't go on:D! Another one to check out is of course, Rosanne Cash. She's been musical royalty for a while but just creating amazing stuff still

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Saxon, Ride like the wind. Great cover of the Christopher Cross song. Much better than the original. Have a listen JD.:thup:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saxon, Ride like the wind. Great cover of the Christopher Cross song. Much better than the original. Have a listen JD.:thup:

I'll get onto it right now.

Never heard this before but it's pretty good :thup:

Although the cheeky scallywag Biff introduced it as Ride Like the (expletive deleted) Wind!

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll get onto it right now.

Never heard this before but it's pretty good :thup:

Although the cheeky scallywag Biff introduced it as Ride Like the (expletive deleted) Wind!
He does have a rather foul mouth. Fortunately I covered my daughters ears when we saw them on Saturday !!!!!

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great voice though.

The support band was called Naked Six. Lead singer/guitarist sounded like a younger version of Biff. Turned out it was his son.:eek:oo:

Jobs for the boys (quite literally) eh? Nepotism is alive an well and living happily in the world of metal. :thup:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Jobs for the boys (quite literally) eh? Nepotism is alive an well and living happily in the world of metal. :thup:
The son is really talented. Only the bands second gig, but whilst he didn't have his dad's charisma;), he was really nervous between songs, he had a good voice and played a mean guitar. My daughter seemed to like him.:thup: