So what are you listening to at the moment?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just managed to work out how to connect my old ghetto blaster to play through my Hi-Fi so got lots of late 70s, 80s and 90s cassette tapes to listen to before deciding what to convert and dump the tapes.

Truth is though there is not a lot of point in converting anything other than any recordings off the radio which might have some interest. Everything else we can get on-line.

What IS the point in keeping old cassettes? Anyone?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Just managed to work out how to connect my old ghetto blaster to play through my Hi-Fi so got lots of late 70s, 80s and 90s cassette tapes to listen to before deciding what to convert and dump the tapes.

Truth is though there is not a lot of point in converting anything other than any recordings off the radio which might have some interest. Everything else we can get on-line.

What IS the point in keeping old cassettes? Anyone?

So you can pine after a bygone but actually slightly mythical age which you remember through rose tinted spectacles. Much like most golf clubs do..;)

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you like tasteful and dexterous guitar playing then this lad knows his onions.

Taste, touch, expression and feel in spades.

[video=youtube;JX61Jlvd-Yw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JX61Jlvd-Yw[/video]

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought the story about The Ramones and Blitzkrieg Bop was fascinating, who knew? I'd happily pay my license fee just for the music documentaries BBC 4 put out on a Friday evening.

Music on BBC4 on Friday eveninga - brilliant - far better than anything Sky provide - though Sky Arts can be good.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So you can pine after a bygone but actually slightly mythical age which you remember through rose tinted spectacles. Much like most golf clubs do..;)

I might well keep pre-recorded cassettes and these should press the nostalgia button - but all the stuff I recorded myself? Maybe see the point in keeping favourites - but even then - I'm not sure what makes a favourite cassette recording copy of an album.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And so find myself listening to the charts of 10th October 1982 - presented by Tommy Vance on a cassette I've dug up today with #1 being Pass the Dutchie by Musical Youth. Not a vintage chart - but not dreadful.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I went to see Caravan Palace last night at the venue that I still think of as the Town & Country, so they're dominating today's listening. Really good gig, they have so much energy on stage that you can't help but get sucked up into it.

[video=youtube;-7JOa3dISg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7JOa3dISg0[/video]

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I took my daughter along to Cadogan Hall last night to see Roddy Frame.

It was a wonderful evening. Beautiful venue, wonderful musicianship and those perfect timeless tunes.

It was the first time I've taken one of my kids along to someone I have enjoyed since I was their age - I first saw Aztec Camera in Brighton in about 1984. It must be a bit like the first time taking them round 18 (which hasn't taken place yet, and not for the foreseeable!). She strums away at a guitar in her bedroom, so I was pretty confident she'd enjoy him.

Tonight we've been trawling through the tube for all the best bits - what could be better than that !

No clips from last night, but here is an old favourite from the same show in Munich earlier this year :

[video=youtube_share;UO_JtVPqosA]https://youtu.be/UO_JtVPqosA?list=PL1XyqObRq_IkTrYa_dZOdSaygn5O88Lp E[/video]

For die hard fans, here's the playlist of the oldies from the same set :

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1XyqObRq_IkTrYa_dZOdSaygn5O88LpE