So what are you listening to at the moment?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Frazey Ford…gosh…she slipped my mind. I stumbled across her a few years ago and loved the track I heard. Must go give more listening time to her - find the track I loved though can’t recall what it was called…

Discovered the Frazey Ford track I loved from some years ago…September Fields. Still love it.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…and as I randomly dip into the huge pile of CDs that I have given a home to when a friend moved - today I’m having a listen to Mr Scruff and thoroughly enjoying it.

Mr Scruff…who’d have thunk it…missed it completely back in the 90s early 00s. Mixes and suchlike of soul, jazz, funk, hip-hop, and anything else he can think of throwing into the mix.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went back to Cardiacs again after a while this morning - Sing To God.

This might well be the best song ever written:

Just outrageous songwriting. So many chord changes that are technically 'wrong' but sound so right. I used to try and do that in some of my songs, and it just sounded wrong. :LOL: What a genius Tim Smith was. Imagine writing a song with 8 key changes in one section and it still sounds perfect.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Just outrageous songwriting. So many chord changes that are technically 'wrong' but sound so right. I used to try and do that in some of my songs, and it just sounded wrong. :LOL: What a genius Tim Smith was. Imagine writing a song with 8 key changes in one section and it still sounds perfect.

............................. it isn't.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I remember hearing them on Radio 6 earlier in the year and thinking I should try and dig into their back catalogue ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember hearing them on Radio 6 earlier in the year and thinking I should try and dig into their back catalogue ?
Sing To God is one of my favourite albums of all time and a decent place to start. It's a double album so set aside an hour and a half and listen to the whole thing from start to finish. I just love how it goes seamlessly from chaos to almost gospel-like moments of everyone singing together. There really is nobody else like Cardiacs.

If you're a Spotify user they don't seem to be on there, annoyingly. You can probably stream the album straight off YouTube or something.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well of course I’d long heard of King Crimson…but listen to any of their stuff…nah, never, ever..until yesterday when I listened to In the Court of the Crimson King. Well that was not at all what I have long thought…I actually really enjoyed it. So will listen to more.

Meanwhile, just because I’m in a 70s classic prog mood, I’m having another listen to Yes…Close to the Edge. Love it. The Wakeman bit in the title track when he thunders away on the church pipe organ…wow!

IMO both albums still stand up really well to scrutiny.