So what are you going to do instead?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trying to learn on a guitar with a really high action is a massive crutch. I’d definitely try to sort that at least a bit.

However teaching someone to play slide guitar to avoid sore fingers is hilarious. It’s such a niche style and requires a lot of skill beyond the basica.
Nobody is teaching her slide guitar.
I suggested it because you can’t play if your fingers are sore.
But you can just mess about with a slide.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think anything that might have me able to play and fiddle around with the guitar for longer is worth a try for sure. At £6 for a capo and ditto for a glass and chrome set of slides (both excellent reviews on Amazon) - I figure why not give it a go. Without doubt IF the capo means less pressure required and easier on the fingers that would be great. I think I've got some sort of blister on my 1st finger tip now - no pain no gain and all that :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think anything that might have me able to play and fiddle around with the guitar for longer is worth a try for sure. At £6 for a capo and ditto for a glass and chrome set of slides (both excellent reviews on Amazon) - I figure why not give it a go. Without doubt IF the capo means less pressure required and easier on the fingers that would be great. I think I've got some sort of blister on my 1st finger tip now - no pain no gain and all that :)
I wouldn't say using a capo makes it any easier to play, all it does is fret all the strings at whatever fret you put it on - so then you can make your A chord shape, but relative to the capo you're now actually playing B, C or whatever - depending on where it was.

But I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. I've never noticed it being any easier with a capo on.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't say using a capo makes it any easier to play, all it does is fret all the strings at whatever fret you put it on - so then you can make your A chord shape, but relative to the capo you're now actually playing B, C or whatever - depending on where it was.

But I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. I've never noticed it being any easier with a capo on.

I think from what Fish said it could act to lower the strings so the chords are easier to play - in terms of pressure required?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Depends on the height of the nut to the first fret.
But your right it would be minimal , and change the notes so her voice might sound out of tune.
But not heard Amanda sing so might help ;)

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Like Amanda, my wife is also learning the guitar, choosing electric over the acoustic as it's easier on the fingers particularly as she has a touch of arthritis. Currently following JustinGuitar.com and really enjoying it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on the height of the nut to the first fret.
But your right it would be minimal , and change the notes so her voice might sound out of tune.
But not heard Amanda sing so might help ;)

You are so right. The dogs think I have a great voice and love me singing to them...:eek:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the whole thread but...

Just had another play and for sure the quality of the chords is improving until fingers won't allow enough pressure. So then I just played with moving between D and A with a strum but not really concerned with the chord sound rather than learning the nimbleness required to move between the two. So didn't exert enough pressure to hurt fingers nor make a good chord sound BUT it felt of value???

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just had another play and for sure the quality of the chords is improving until fingers won't allow enough pressure. So then I just played with moving between D and A with a strum but not really concerned with the chord sound rather than learning the nimbleness required to move between the two. So didn't exert enough pressure to hurt fingers nor make a good chord sound BUT it felt of value???
Yes it will it’s like a practice swing.
Try doing it watching TV when adverts come on ,just have a few chord changes.
Then back to your programme.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I think there's quite a few of us who would be happy to talk guitar all day long so carry on. :)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The thing is playing your guitar and singing in your own house is fantastic.
But if the dogs like it that’s a bonus.

I'll have to learn the dog's songs - Daisy, Daisy (of course) and Championee Oh Lay Oh Lay (since he became an agility star)...

I can't sing very well at all but it sooths the dogs!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You just have to keep at it until the skin on your finger tips harden. It does get easier (eventually) ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
For the guitarists on here. Well I'm still playing ("playing"!) every day and really enjoying it too. Fingers have developed some nice callouses on the tips so I can practice a bit longer before they hurt.

You know the very sensible advice about NOT buying an acoustic guitar? Well I had to scratch the itch and managed to buy this beauty after lots of searching as everywhere (including Yamaha) are on about 2 months back order.

Guitar.jpg
It's a Yamaha F310 and I love it. So much easier to play than the electric we have and sounds lovely.

I've been working on my chords following justinguitar and have also learnt some 1 and 2 string songs - Happy Birthday, Twinkle Twinkle and When the Saints. Just started a 3 string go at Love Me Tender. I like the mix of the proper learning of chords but also trying to play something.

Question - thumb/fingers or plectrum? I've used my thumb to strum/pick but today tried a plectrum and the sound was more consistent and sharper...borderline harsh to my ear but just what I've become used to. I can see it will set me back a bit learning to use it but also how it can improve the sound...

Thoughts?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the guitarists on here. Well I'm still playing ("playing"!) every day and really enjoying it too. Fingers have developed some nice callouses on the tips so I can practice a bit longer before they hurt.

You know the very sensible advice about NOT buying an acoustic guitar? Well I had to scratch the itch and managed to buy this beauty after lots of searching as everywhere (including Yamaha) are on about 2 months back order.

View attachment 30866
It's a Yamaha F310 and I love it. So much easier to play than the electric we have and sounds lovely.

I've been working on my chords following justinguitar and have also learnt some 1 and 2 string songs - Happy Birthday, Twinkle Twinkle and When the Saints. Just started a 3 string go at Love Me Tender. I like the mix of the proper learning of chords but also trying to play something.

Question - thumb/fingers or plectrum? I've used my thumb to strum/pick but today tried a plectrum and the sound was more consistent and sharper...borderline harsh to my ear but just what I've become used to. I can see it will set me back a bit learning to use it but also how it can improve the sound...

Thoughts?
Plectrum is a natural amplifier and it’s in your interest to learn both.
I don’t use one myself I prefer a softer tone.
But also try some finger picking that’s great but hard to do at first.
See what’s natural to you that’s always what’s best.
nice guitar , I much prefer acoustic.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

View attachment 30866

Thoughts?
My acoustic is a Yamaha as well, a CPX 700. I think they're quite underrated as a guitar brand.

I nearly always play with a plectrum, I'm crap with my fingers. Too fiddly. :LOL: And I just can't get the same volume.