So what are you going to do instead?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best tip I got when starting was pick a song you like and know the tune it’s easier to keep the timing.

I've spotted a couple of Bruce songs in the link Orikuro gave with the A, D and E chords so that's going to be first...watched some of the justinguitar first lesson and really like his style.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorted flight out to Sweden for new role, signed contract, started up the list of required kit. Thankfully dress code is smart casual, no suit buying (yay!). Long term hotel sent through .. communal toilets/showers.. so will have a look around for something a little more personal if not an apartment.. found a golf course well worth getting excited about! Need to find a way to get my sticks there .. or I could take the spec of current ones and get them made up - could be costly though and not considered a business expense!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don’t play for to long in one go.
It’s frustrating , leave your guitar on the sofa and just play about 15mins every hour or so .
Sore fingers if you play to long in one go.
Enjoy.

Holey moley you weren't wrong about the fingers! Typing this is a bit sore!! I have learnt D but it's not there yet. I can't get all three strings to sound right as usually the 6th string just buzzes. More tomorrow!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi, Amanda. Don't want to overload you with too much guitar information but one of the best sites for learning is www.justinguitar.com. Really good for beginners and he has recently revamped all of his YouTube videos. He is also recommended by Mark Knopfler amongst others.
Best tip I got when starting was pick a song you like and know the tune it’s easier to keep the timing.
I tried to give my wife a ten minute lesson last week and she had the same problem. I wouldn't start with C tbh it's not the easiest. Back when I started I think E, A and D were the three easier ones to begin on. Get them down, then practise changing between them at a certain tempo. Playing along to a song helps, apparently all of these only use A, D & E!

So guitar playing folks. I'm really enjoying it and have learnt A, D and E. It's been slow progress as my finger tips get sore really quickly. In fact they permanently feel like they've been nettled! Gradually though my 2nd and 3rd fingers are moving independantly of each other and I'm able to avoid muting the 1st string.

Justin is great and today I played the video about anchoring. When he said to slide the 1st finger to the next fret I felt a teeny bit sick - that would be way too sore at the moment I think. So another week of perfecting the 3 chords and then dare to slide and hope my fingertip doesn't fall off!

Question. The guitar is an electric one David bought some time ago in the thought a childhood dream to own and play one might come to fruition. My choice would be acoustic for sure and some reading I've done suggested that might be the best option to learn on? It would certainly be more convenient to just pick up and strum anywhere in the house. It may be early days to buy another but there are some decent 2nd hand ones around (I think) and in particular have seen a Falcon FGR100R for just £30!

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Off the top of my head NO.
I wouldn’t buy a guitar unless I had a chance to play it.
A cheap guitar can make it more difficult to learn.
How old are the strings on your guitar.?
The action could be a bit to high.
I would say it might be you just have nice soft fingers. ( not sexist honest)
It takes a long time for your finger tips to harden up.
But the strings on an electric are usually ok for a beginner.
It might be with no work / golf etc you are just playing a bit to much as nothing else to do.
You won’t do that once normality takes over.
Set a date and treat yourself to a nice new guitar for Christmas once you have attained some goals .
A couple of songs you like will do.
But if you must £30 is not to bad , just check YouTube how to inspect the neck and any obvious faults.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So guitar playing folks. I'm really enjoying it and have learnt A, D and E. It's been slow progress as my finger tips get sore really quickly. In fact they permanently feel like they've been nettled! Gradually though my 2nd and 3rd fingers are moving independantly of each other and I'm able to avoid muting the 1st string.

Justin is great and today I played the video about anchoring. When he said to slide the 1st finger to the next fret I felt a teeny bit sick - that would be way too sore at the moment I think. So another week of perfecting the 3 chords and then dare to slide and hope my fingertip doesn't fall off!

Question. The guitar is an electric one David bought some time ago in the thought a childhood dream to own and play one might come to fruition. My choice would be acoustic for sure and some reading I've done suggested that might be the best option to learn on? It would certainly be more convenient to just pick up and strum anywhere in the house. It may be early days to buy another but there are some decent 2nd hand ones around (I think) and in particular have seen a Falcon FGR100R for just £30!

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.
Most people say acoustics are better to learn on, I'm not entirely sure why though. I found if anything the strings are harder to press down - but maybe the idea is once you've done that electric should be a doddle.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most people say acoustics are better to learn on, I'm not entirely sure why though. I found if anything the strings are harder to press down - but maybe the idea is once you've done that electric should be a doddle.

I did wonder as the strings are steel? Maybe heavier too. Not sure. Any harder and I'd be in tears!!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Off the top of my head NO.
I wouldn’t buy a guitar unless I had a chance to play it.
A cheap guitar can make it more difficult to learn.
How old are the strings on your guitar.?
The action could be a bit to high.
I would say it might be you just have nice soft fingers. ( not sexist honest)
It takes a long time for your finger tips to harden up.
But the strings on an electric are usually ok for a beginner.
It might be with no work / golf etc you are just playing a bit to much as nothing else to do.
You won’t do that once normality takes over.
Set a date and treat yourself to a nice new guitar for Christmas once you have attained some goals .
A couple of songs you like will do.
But if you must £30 is not to bad , just check YouTube how to inspect the neck and any obvious faults.

Sounds a good plan and I told myself that but had a look and then thought...

Not sure on the age. It was bought new but probably several years ago. I see reference to action being "high" - what does that mean??

I'm probably doing 10 minutes 3-4 times a day. I think my finger tips probably are very soft as can't see why they wouldn't be so - any hard labour with hands not my thing at all!

Thanks for the reply. Settled my mind 100% to keep going with what I've got and then once more adept (and sure it sticks as a long term hobby) take myself to a shop and try some new shiny guitars out.

That reminded me The Wish (Bruce)...

Dirty old street all slushed up in the rain and snow
Little boy and his ma shivering outside a rundown music store window
That night on top of a Christmas tree shines one beautiful star
And lying underneath a brand-new Japanese guitar

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another thing - have really found myself hearing the guitar part in songs. Went for a walk today with some random music on my player and Don McLean in particular sounded so good and something I'll aspire too. Saw him play live many years ago - amazing!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds a good plan and I told myself that but had a look and then thought...

Not sure on the age. It was bought new but probably several years ago. I see reference to action being "high" - what does that mean??

I'm probably doing 10 minutes 3-4 times a day. I think my finger tips probably are very soft as can't see why they wouldn't be so - any hard labour with hands not my thing at all!

Thanks for the reply. Settled my mind 100% to keep going with what I've got and then once more adept (and sure it sticks as a long term hobby) take myself to a shop and try some new shiny guitars out.

That reminded me The Wish (Bruce)...

Dirty old street all slushed up in the rain and snow
Little boy and his ma shivering outside a rundown music store window
That night on top of a Christmas tree shines one beautiful star
And lying underneath a brand-new Japanese guitar
The Action is the gap between the string and the fret on the fingerboard.
The higher it is the harder it is to play.
It could be the set up or the neck could be bent or twisted.
All the hand washing won’t help don’t play just after washing your hands.
Guitars are lovely things but playability is the most important thing.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If the action is a little too high, then get a clamp and place it down the neck, this will initially lower the strings and make basic chords (not bar chords) easier to play more towards the clamps position if you feel the action is too high, don’t worry about the position of the clamp or key change, simply look at it the same as if it was at the top of the neck.

Then slowly heighten the clamp whilst your fingers adjust until you can remove it totally.

If you have an up bowed neck, then tightening the truss rod (more technical) will increase compression, this then pushes the center of the neck away from the strings.

This reduces the relief, lowering the string action (height of the strings over the frets) and can make it easier for a beginner to play.

I’ve played since a boy, played solo and in bands and did the clubs etc as a lead and rhythm guitarist but have always preferred rhythm.

Had some fantastic guitars in my time, which would be worth crazy money now, always did the Christmas gigs in all the messes when in the mob, but haven’t picked up a guitar in decades, I wonder if it’s like falling off and riding a bike ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the action is a little too high, then get a clamp and place it down the neck, this will initially lower the strings and make basic chords (not bar chords) easier to play more towards the clamps position if you feel the action is too high, don’t worry about the position of the clamp or key change, simply look at it the same as if it was at the top of the neck.

Then slowly heighten the clamp whilst your fingers adjust until you can remove it totally.

If you have an up bowed neck, then tightening the truss rod (more technical) will increase compression, this then pushes the center of the neck away from the strings.

This reduces the relief, lowering the string action (height of the strings over the frets) and can make it easier for a beginner to play.

I’ve played since a boy, played solo and in bands and did the clubs etc as a lead and rhythm guitarist but have always preferred rhythm.

Had some fantastic guitars in my time, which would be worth crazy money now, always did the Christmas gigs in all the messes when in the mob, but haven’t picked up a guitar in decades, I wonder if it’s like falling off and riding a bike ?

Clamp as in a Capo? It's a whole new world out there but I'm feeling just a little bit hooked!

It's weird how we do things to a decent level and then kind of leave it alone...sometimes forever. I'm a bit that way with golf at the moment but we'll see after lockdown.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That’s a shame you don’t play anymore.
Plenty of time now as TV is crap.
But your still working so not so easy.
I just can’t imagine giving up playing.
I have arthritis in my thumb and can’t hold my pick, so am learning finger picking.
But as you get older it’s difficult, I just love playing .
Do you think you may start again anytime?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clamp as in a Capo? It's a whole new world out there but I'm feeling just a little bit hooked!

It's weird how we do things to a decent level and then kind of leave it alone...sometimes forever. I'm a bit that way with golf at the moment but we'll see after lockdown.
Yes a capo .
Just a quick one .
To give your fingers a little rest get yourself a bottleneck it’s a fantastic sound and no chords.
You can use it then to give the fingers a rest.
YouTube guitar bottleneck and be amazed at the sound.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes a capo .
Just a quick one .
To give your fingers a little rest get yourself a bottleneck it’s a fantastic sound and no chords.
You can use it then to give the fingers a rest.
YouTube guitar bottleneck and be amazed at the sound.

It is a whole new world! Any recommendations on type of slide or just order one and go for it?!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you guys are overcomplicating things a tad when Amanda has only just started learning. Why would you worry about the action of the guitar at this stage?? To use a golf analogy it's like telling someone to go and get a custom fitting when they've never even picked up a club before. :LOL: Just keep learning those chords and trying to play songs and worry about what you're playing them on in a year or two's time.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I think you guys are overcomplicating things a tad when Amanda has only just started learning. Why would you worry about the action of the guitar at this stage?? To use a golf analogy it's like telling someone to go and get a custom fitting when they've never even picked up a club before. :LOL: Just keep learning those chords and trying to play songs and worry about what you're playing them on in a year or two's time.
Trying to learn on a guitar with a really high action is a massive crutch. I’d definitely try to sort that at least a bit.

However teaching someone to play slide guitar to avoid sore fingers is hilarious. It’s such a niche style and requires a lot of skill beyond the basica.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trying to learn on a guitar with a really high action is a massive crutch. I’d definitely try to sort that at least a bit.

However teaching someone to play slide guitar to avoid sore fingers is hilarious. It’s such a niche style and requires a lot of skill beyond the basica.
Nobody here knows anything about her guitar though, they're just speculating based on nothing. All she said was it's electric and they've owned it for years.

Agree on your second point. I bought a metal slide when I'd only been playing about a year as I thought it was cool - never once used it. Considering I don't play any blues it's not a surprise really. Certainly not as easy as you think dragging a bit of metal up and down the fretboard, ha.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
She asked what the action was!
Just gave her the answer.
I was actually talking about the action on the acoustic she was thinking of buying.
Not trying to put her off , more a warning if your not sure a bad guitar can make learning harder.

Last edited: