Snooker v Pool

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site
I have noticed a lot of golf clubs have snooker tables but I don't think I have ever seen one with a pool table!!

Are there any reasons for this? Im assuming its a stuffy class based reason.....

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club got rid of the snooker table years ago. There is now a pool table and a darts board in that room.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are there any reasons for this? Im assuming its a stuffy class based reason.....

Yes. Gentlemen play snooker, ruffians play pool.

I rarely saw anyone on snooker tables in clubs I've been a member of. Too bloomin hard, takes too long to play a frame. A poor use of space in a club.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I rarely saw anyone on snooker tables in clubs I've been a member of. Too bloomin hard, takes too long to play a frame. A poor use of space in a club.
Yeah, snooker is bloody difficult. Nearly as difficult as golf!

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site

Tend to agree with this. My old club got rid of their snooker room during a refurb. Ive since joined a new club and they have one. I have found myself playing on it. Prob out of the sheer novelty for now.

I do think putting in pool tables would appeal more to the masses. I do see they play in local snooker league but only against other golf clubs.

D

Deleted member 16999

We have one and it’s very popular, 20p in the meter to pay for the lights over the table as well.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

You've clearly not spent much time hanging around in snooker clubs... :)

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's the opposite in most pubs, hardly any in our area have a snooker table now. Cost is the main problem, 20p in the meter for 20 minutes against 50p a game on a pool table and it should take far less time to finish a frame. More income and pool tables costs a lot less to maintain than snooker tables and also take up much less room, a recover with a good quality cloth on a snooker table is about £500.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I'd add that it clashes too much with the social side of a golf club, both reducing inreraction, turnover/profitand the cost of 'accidents'! A snooker room with 2 tables was one of the first things to go when the 'lounge' at a club I used to belong to was updated. I know of 2 clubs that have (or had last time I was there) a table - one of which once belonged to Joe Davis!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You've clearly not spent much time hanging around in snooker clubs... :)

Ha ha. It is a contradiction as the snooker halls I have been in were really seedy but the perception of a golf club having a snooker table is that it is flash.

I remember going into a snooker hall in Byker, Newcastle, as a student with some mates. First time on a full sized table. After an hour I think we had potted 3 balls. We stuck to pool after that, much easier.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club used to have a snooker room, they moved it to make a junior common room, then they sold it to make way for a function room (more income), then they closed the junior common room to make way for non golfing visitors and disabled toilets.

They did put in a pool table in one of the bars but everybody complained it took up too much room so it went along with the dartboard.

The snooker table was not a great loss. I used to be a person who played snooker 5 days a week but the golf club table had such poorly cut pockets I hardly ever played on it. The only time it was used regularly was about 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We use to have one when we were in the old clubhouse but it got taken away to make a meeting room. Wouldn't want a pool table in our bar (not really anywhere to put it) but we were talking about getting a darts team up to bring revenue in over the winter and putting the board(s) on those portable stands. Not sure if that is still going ahead. I better find my darts in case

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ha ha. It is a contradiction as the snooker halls I have been in were really seedy but the perception of a golf club having a snooker table is that it is flash.

I remember going into a snooker hall in Byker, Newcastle, as a student with some mates. First time on a full sized table. After an hour I think we had potted 3 balls. We stuck to pool after that, much easier.

Having been NZ Univerity Snooker Champion once ( and NZU Billiards Champion twice) I can relate to the above! After years on pool tables, a Christmas Eve session at a snooker room netted a highest break of 11!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm a member of a local snooker club, probably play about once every 4-6 weeks. Membership is only £35 and the fees are a lot lower for members than for guests so it still makes sense to pay for the membership. It is a hard game, but not as hard as golf!

Saying that, my highest break is only around 30, but that is just confirmation that I am as useless at snooker as I am at golf.

One thing that does surprise me is that our club doesn't offer any tuition at all. I'd love to have a couple of lessons from a decent player. Little things like a slightly wrong stance make a big difference to how you play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing that does surprise me is that our club doesn't offer any tuition at all. I'd love to have a couple of lessons from a decent player. Little things like a slightly wrong stance make a big difference to how you play.

I had ideas of becoming a pro snooker player in my teenage years but a lack of anywhere to get lessons put paid to that idea. Serious practice was also very difficult because I played in a pub that only had one table.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
We've two snooker tables in the bar but they are always being used and we have a team who,play in local league(s) I believe.

Just costs us a fortune taking them down and putting back up again for functions! I've probably played 2 frames on them in 4 years!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We've had s pool table for 2 or 3 years now, it's not always uncovered but is for times that the clubhouse is less busy