Snapped driver shaft - any comeback?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bought new driver last month (Ping G425) Played this morning, put the clubs in the back seat, got home to find the shaft hanging on by a thread.

Have no idea how it happened, am guessing it must have been closing the car door, but didn’t slam it or anything like that, so am pretty shocked and gutted.

Is there any point going back to the retailer, or do I just need to suck it up? And if so, what’s the going rate for a new shaft (Alta CB 55 Regular)?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know what your rights are but when I had a shaft break in a driver I was given a new one when I took it back.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The best place for secondhand golf shafts is Ebay.

There is no harm in trying to get a free replacement. The first point of call is always where you bought it from. Last time I needed Ping clubs repaired they insisted it went back via the proshop but did not charge for the repair.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It'd be nice if the retailer gave you a discount on a replacement
Not sure why they"d think to foot the full cost though

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd ask myself who's fault it was, if it was my fault I pay up, if it was Ping's fault, they replace it.
However, a compromise may be found.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A close friend snapped 3 g30 shafts in the same spec in regular, he has a wonky swing and hits his left shoulder at the end of the swing. 3 shafts later he’s gone to stiff which don’t snap. I’ve not heard of any clubs doing similar but it’s the same shaft Joyce’s had issues with.

As bob said though I’d ask myself if it was ok when I put the clubs away, had I hit it during the round and have I thrown anything in the boot?

Springveldt

Visit site
Replacement shafts aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Where is it snapped? If it's near the hosel you might get some joy out of Ping. If not, have a look on eBay. Your shaft may be a bit more expensive since it's the latest Ping driver but you can probably get G410 shafts cheaper. That's what I've found when wanting to try a new shaft, the ones from the previous generation are a bit cheaper.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Replacement shafts aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Where is it snapped? If it's near the hosel you might get some joy out of Ping. If not, have a look on eBay. Your shaft may be a bit more expensive since it's the latest Ping driver but you can probably get G410 shafts cheaper. That's what I've found when wanting to try a new shaft, the ones from the previous generation are a bit cheaper.

It snapped about 4 inches from the hosel.

I phoned Snainton and they asked me to send them some images and they will see what they can do. I’ve done that but not holding out a lot of hope - I’ve been totally honest with them and told them the damage must have happened putting the bag in the car.

I had a look on eBay - the going rate seems to be around £110 for a shaft to fit the 410 or the 425.

In the meantime, I’m heading up to the Golf Factory in the morning to look for a cheap substitute.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If it snapped whilst playing then ask the retailer to replace. If you snapped it (which it sounds like you think you did) than pay for a replacement yourself. It’s not really fair to ask someone else to foot the bill.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If it snapped whilst playing then ask the retailer to replace. If you snapped it (which it sounds like you think you did) than pay for a replacement yourself. It’s not really fair to ask someone else to foot the bill.

Like I said, I’ve been totally upfront with the retailer and said it must have happened putting the clubs in the car. If they say ‘in that case, we can’t help’ , I’ll take it on the chin. I just find it odd that it snapped when any contact between the door and the bag was minimal.

Boomy

Visit site

I phoned Snainton and they asked me to send them some images and they will see what they can do. I’ve done that but not holding out a lot of hope - I’ve been totally honest with them and told them the damage must have happened putting the bag in the car.

I had a look on eBay - the going rate seems to be around £110 for a shaft to fit the 410 or the 425.

In the meantime, I’m heading up to the Golf Factory in the morning to look for a cheap substitute.

You can pick the Ping standard shafts up for around £60/65 on eBay. Or alternatively there is a company on there who will build a shaft to the spec you want for great prices. I paid £99 for a project x evenflow riptide 6.0 shaft, with the adapter, grip (all built to my requested spec) and sent out with DHL. Quality service and only took a couple of days.

FC157041-5F09-4699-A543-9413908A486C.jpeg

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Popped in this morning, they have got the previous gen of the Ping Alta shaft, they are going to put a new adaptor on that for £50. (I had a Ping G with that shaft previously, so should be fine for me).

Happy with that. Won't be ready to use until Tuesday, so rung up our pro shop and they are loaning me a driver for tomorrow's game. Good service all round.

Fishmeister

Visit site
I had the exact same thing happen to me with my Ping G400. Took the bag out of the car and that driver shaft had broken around six inches from the head.
For anyone around the Midlands I took it to a place called Club Class Repairs in Dorridge.
They fitted a new Ping shaft and even salvaged my almost new Jumbomax grip for £80.
I have decided now to remove my driver from the bag when in the car. I must have took a corner to sharply and the weight of the bag must have forced the head into car door and snapped it clean off. Lesson learned I guess!

D

Deleted member 1740

I had the exact same thing happen to me with my Ping G400. Took the bag out of the car and that driver shaft had broken around six inches from the head.
For anyone around the Midlands I took it to a place called Club Class Repairs in Dorridge.
They fitted a new Ping shaft and even salvaged my almost new Jumbomax grip for £80.
I have decided now to remove my driver from the bag when in the car. I must have took a corner to sharply and the weight of the bag must have forced the head into car door and snapped it clean off. Lesson learned I guess!

Welcome to the forum?

How's the baby draw performing with the new shaft/jumbomax grip?

Fishmeister

Visit site
Welcome to the forum?

How's the baby draw performing with the new shaft/jumbomax grip?

Thank you. I haven't had the chance to try it out yet, this only happened yesterday and I had it repaired today. Won't get the chance to try it out till the weekend.
I'm a huge fan of the Jumbomax grips. I could never find a comfortable way to hold my clubs. The considerably thicker grips have changed my game, however as a high handicapper I'm afraid my shots consist of random straights, draws and fades.