Smoking Ban

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just had an alert from the club saying with immediate effect there is a smoking ban on the course. Not a problem for me as a non-smoker and given the parched condition of the course (and perhaps with thoughts of the fire close to Wentworth) it makes perfect sense. Has anyone else done the same. We don't have fairway watering so some of the fairways are beginning to look very links like (and playing the same)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's actually very difficult to start a fire with a cigarette as they self extinguish if you don't draw on them. We tried in a controlled environment last year. we got a fire going but it took some bear grills action. Most accidental fires in our area seem to be glass bottles and scramblers taking a rest in tall grass

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's actually very difficult to start a fire with a cigarette as they self extinguish if you don't draw on them. We tried in a controlled environment last year. we got a fire going but it took some bear grills action. Most accidental fires in our area seem to be glass bottles and scramblers taking a rest in tall grass
I had heard that before but I guess given how dry it has been (35 most days since last Thursday and set to continue a few more days at least) it is a sensible precaution. Better safe than sorry and given how quickly that fire on Chobham Common started and spread it wouldn't take much once alight for it to be a problem

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had heard that before but I guess given how dry it has been (35 most days since last Thursday and set to continue a few more days at least) it is a sensible precaution. Better safe than sorry and given how quickly that fire on Chobham Common started and spread it wouldn't take much once alight for it to be a problem
Definitely better than nothing. I'm not a smoker myself but I sometimes feel sorry for them. They always get it in the neck ?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Cigarettes don’t self extinguish. They have chemicals that keep them burning. Roll ups do tho.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just had an alert from the club saying with immediate effect there is a smoking ban on the course. Not a problem for me as a non-smoker and given the parched condition of the course (and perhaps with thoughts of the fire close to Wentworth) it makes perfect sense. Has anyone else done the same. We don't have fairway watering so some of the fairways are beginning to look very links like (and playing the same)

Same at Bearwood Lakes.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Down in Sussex, the fairways are yellow and rock hard. It isn't to everyone tastes but I love it. Drives go miles, and when you hit a bare patch, a puff of smoke comes up and it looks really cool :D

We very rarely get that burnt look. Last summer we had a fair bit of drought.

I can confirm. Ireland is very very green. :(

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
We don't have fairway watering so some of the fairways are beginning to look very links like (and playing the same)

Links on the East Coast of Scotland are pretty green at the moment - ours were getting brown in early June but fairway watering and wetter summers have pretty much ended extended spells of blonde fairways these days - we do get nice blonde rough though.

I remember Thorpe Wood in Peterborough having a short term smoking ban after a couple of small fires caused by discarded fags when I lived down that way around 1990

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have had nice weather in the NW ,but some very heavy showers .
The courses are still quite green ,bit firm on the surface.
I don’t smoke ,but banning it seems harsh if there is no evidence it’s a hazard.
But ciggie butts are just littering.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The MoD are in the process of making all sites smoke free with the aim to complete by 2022. Some units are doing it from next Jan but they are putting on services to help people quit if they want. Could be interesting when people want a fag and take over an hour to get changed, leave work and have a smoke off camp!!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Temp restriction on smoking makes sense if the course isn’t getting watered naturally or by the club (although if the members are prone to such behaviour prob best to close the course until they get some rain)