Smoking Ban

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
smoking ban in effect since june on our Föhrenwald course, smoking allowed though on Linsberg course which is more open. nice for heavy smokers who cant do without it to have an option

D

Deleted member 23344

Down in Sussex, the fairways are yellow and rock hard. It isn't to everyone tastes but I love it. Drives go miles, and when you hit a bare patch, a puff of smoke comes up and it looks really cool :D

I can confirm that ... rock hard and parched brown at my club.

sunshine

Visit site
Has it been that dry down south? Certainly not an issue in the NE.

Where I live in Hertfordshire it hasn't rained since 27th July, and the temp has been 35 degrees every day for the last week. Even at night it's remained 25+, sleeping has been horrible.

My course has fairway irrigation so still nice and green, but the water level of the lake we draw the water from has dropped massively in the last 2 weeks.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, our links on the south Kent coast has a smoking ban in place from 2 weeks ago until further notice. We have no fairway irrigation so its very dry at the moment.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have had them in the past.

Maybe we should consider one now.

Their a story of one player setting alight a patch between two holes a few years ago something to with his pipe falling out of his hands.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I live in Hertfordshire it hasn't rained since 27th July, and the temp has been 35 degrees every day for the last week. Even at night it's remained 25+, sleeping has been horrible.

My course has fairway irrigation so still nice and green, but the water level of the lake we draw the water from has dropped massively in the last 2 weeks.

We use a bore hole for water but have a limit to the amount we are allowed to extract in a year. Last year apparently we got to within about 10 gallons of the limit. We no longer water automatically and the watering is restricted to areas where it is strictly necessary. Last week the river next to the course was barely moving.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Fairways are generally still green as the irrigation is coping...but there are plenty of "off-piste" areas that are resembling the Sahara at the moment...its pretty bleak given the lack of rainfall.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I introduced a smoking ban on my heathland course in Surrey in the 1976 drought.
The argument against by a few members was that this had never been done before on any course.
I was not Mr Popular for a few weeks as many folk smoked in those days.
That soon changed when a big black hole appeared on one of the fairways probably caused by a cigarette.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Has it been that dry down south? Certainly not an issue in the NE.
I'm just down the road from Homer and - yes - it has been that dry down here. Our track is pretty parched in a lot of places but tee, fairway and green watering means it's largely holding up. Out yesterday evening and it's tinder dry...not seen a smoking ban in place - but if it isn't yet I suspect that it very soon will be.

sunshine

Visit site
Can't remember the last time I saw someone smoking on the golf course. 15+ years ago it was fairly common.

In general smoking appears massively in decline, at least in the south east where I live. Smoking seems to be for chavs only. Sadly it's the poorest sections of society only who seem to continue smoking and also are hugely suffering from obesity.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Can't remember the last time I saw someone smoking on the golf course. 15+ years ago it was fairly common.

In general smoking appears massively in decline, at least in the south east where I live. Smoking seems to be for chavs only. Sadly it's the poorest sections of society only who seem to continue smoking and also are hugely suffering from obesity.

Really, that's where we're going this fine Friday... 'Most smokers are fat chavs'!
:LOL:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think that is a bit harsh. Smoking has certainly declined massively, and that is great for public health. I remember as a junior hospital doctor in the late 80s/early 90s seeing the COPD patients all wheezing in, blue lips and breathless at rest, and for many the objective was to get back enough breath to smoke again. A lot of that population has now literally died off. And myocardial infarctions in middle aged men has dropped massively too.

There is an inverse correlation between social class and smoking, but the relationship with body mass is not so clear. People who smoke are less likely to be obese than those who never smoked and former smokers are more likely to be obese than never smokers or current smokers. Among smokers, obesity increases roughly with amount smoked, so this probably reflects a general disregard for healthy behaviour.

sunshine

Visit site
I think that is a bit harsh. Smoking has certainly declined massively, and that is great for public health. I remember as a junior hospital doctor in the late 80s/early 90s seeing the COPD patients all wheezing in, blue lips and breathless at rest, and for many the objective was to get back enough breath to smoke again. A lot of that population has now literally died off. And myocardial infarctions in middle aged men has dropped massively too.

There is an inverse correlation between social class and smoking, but the relationship with body mass is not so clear. People who smoke are less likely to be obese than those who never smoked and former smokers are more likely to be obese than never smokers or current smokers. Among smokers, obesity increases roughly with amount smoked, so this probably reflects a general disregard for healthy behaviour.

Thanks for the informative reply (y)

I wasn't very clear with my post. I wasn't trying to claim a link between smoking and obesity, but rather the fact that the poorer social classes seem to have a higher prevalence of obesity and smoking. That's just an observation, no research.