Smartphone video for swing analysis

dougajmcdonald

Club Champion
www.dougmcdonald.co.uk
I remember reading some posts on here about using digital cameras for slo-mo swing analysis and reading about some recommendations a while back. It seems now that a few of the newer smartphones are advertising 240fps video recording at HD resolution. Older phones seem to handle 120fps too.

I wondered if anyone has experience using these for swing analysis? either the newer 240fps videos or the older 120fps (is 120fps enough?)

At the moment I'm getting great feedback from generally viewing phone videos at the range, but my current phone only captures 30fps, so slo-mo is not ideal, only capturing every few frames, it's luck of the draw whether I get the positions I want to see!

I'm looking at perhaps something like the Nexus 6P: http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-6p-camera-samples-slow-motion-video-645806/

Any thoughts?

jak kez 187

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got an iPhone 6, not quite sure what the FPS is and I'm too lazy to check, but I record my swing as a slow motion video and then transfer it onto the Hudl Technique app which is free. Then you can watch your slow motion swing frame by frame. Works perfectly fine and don't see the need for anything better!

dougajmcdonald

Club Champion
www.dougmcdonald.co.uk
I think that's what I'm getting at, the iPhone 6 and Nexus 6P both do 240fps, so these look great for a swing analysis POV (without spending silly bucks on a proper camera (I need to replace my phone anyway)).

Interested if anyone has experience videoing at 120fps and has an examples of what that might look like (as there a lot more phones with 120fps HD recording which are notably cheaper!)

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Iv got the Samsung s5. Use that to record any slow mo videos at the range. It's 120 fps and looks fine as long there is ample lighting. Only thing that bugs me with it is, it doesn't come with a slow mo option on the camera. You have to download and install an add on. Is free mind.. and you can only shoot in slow more for around 8 seconds, so shooting your own swing can be a nightmare and your better off with someone doing it for you

dougajmcdonald

Club Champion
www.dougmcdonald.co.uk
I'd not thought about limitations of time that slo-mo could be active for.

At the moment I'm using VLC player and playing the video at 0.25 real time, but I can record for as long as I want which helps as I mainly practice on my own.