Slow play Hurts Your Scoring

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have never in my entire life of playing golf seen this happen or heard anyone complain of this happening on a golf course.

No ??? Thats exactly what the slow-play-moan brigade are doing - expecting others to increase the speed of their play.

I have seen plenty of examples of slow players imposing their speed on the entire course and have sometimes walked off in frustration.
Is that not just childish?
First for expecting others to play faster than they wish to. You have no right to set their pace of play.
And secondly, even if a group loses a hole, and taking a 3.5 hour round as typical, that is 11 or 12 minutes of your time. In a 3.5 hour event, subject to the vagaries of different people, different levels of play and shots taken, different walking paces. It is nothing. Its a very tight normal curve. It is the expectation that everyone should take the same time to play a round that is the problem here, is unreasonable of you, and leading to the frustration you describe.

People saying golf takes too long and they havent time for it due to slow play are utterly nonsensical. Total time to get to and from a course, change, play, check in with the pro, maybe have a drink after, is probably around 6 hours commitment of anyones day. Yet they fume at a 10 or 15 minutes extension to the round itself beyond what they might ideally achieve if they had a free run of the course, saying it has spoiled their day. There is no reason to it.

phillarrow

Visit site
No ??? Thats exactly what the slow-play-moan brigade are doing - expecting others to increase the speed of their play.

First for expecting others to play faster than they wish to. You have no right to set their pace of play.
And secondly, even if a group loses a hole, and taking a 3.5 hour round as typical, that is 11 or 12 minutes of your time. In a 3.5 hour event, subject to the vagaries of different people, different levels of play and shots taken, different walking paces. It is nothing. Its a very tight normal curve. It is the expectation that everyone should take the same time to play a round that is the problem here, is unreasonable of you, and leading to the frustration you describe.

People saying golf takes too long and they havent time for it due to slow play are utterly nonsensical. Total time to get to and from a course, change, play, check in with the pro, maybe have a drink after, is probably around 6 hours commitment of anyones day. Yet they fume at a 10 or 15 minutes extension to the round itself beyond what they might ideally achieve if they had a free run of the course, saying it has spoiled their day. There is no reason to it.

Personally, it's not the total time of the round that concerns me, it's waiting in between every shot and losing any rhythm. In some ways, that's just one of those things and we have to adapt to it. However, when the only reason for it is because the group in front is really slow and has lost holes on the group in front of them, I would say that the selfish ones are those who won't let a faster group through.
Your right that we shouldn't expect others to play at our chosen pace, but that works both ways. A slow group who has space in front but won't let a faster group through is doing exactly what you say people shouldn't do. ?‍♂️

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I repeat again I have yet to see a course playing at the pace of the fastest and have never met anyone who has that expectation.
I don't consider it childish to walk off a course if play is ridiculously slow. I have other things going on in my life , watching others fanny around for hours on end isn't always enjoyable. Why on earth stay out for something I normally enjoy if it becomes tedious.
Your description of an extra 10-15 minutes is not one that bothers me. Being out for four and a half plus hours can do.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Agree. I think the play through idea dates from a very different era sparsely populated courses, and just doesnt apply to the bumper to bumper full courses that are common today. Letting the differently-paced through just makes no sense whatsoever on a full course.
Others, myself included, would suggest it MORE relevant ' the with bumper to bumper full courses that are common today'. With a slow group - as opposed to a 'slow field' or slow course, the course is not full! Everyone behind them has to play slower than they should, thus inconveniencing (at best) everyone held up. The 'has a hole been lost' should apply - though that is often measured incorrectly.
Even the old adage of your place being just behind the group in front is quite unfair, effectively allowing the fastest players impose their speed on the rest of the field.
That's an ideal that, I agree, isn't applicable. The 'has a hole been lost and the group behind is pressing' should be applied though, to let faster groups through.