Slow play again

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's the beauty of it, players will find their own speed.
If they are slow, they are not going to enjoy being dragged round for 3 hours so will select a later tee time next month, it's self policing.

No-one is saying they can't play later, the round will just take longer.

But that won't happen because the faster groups are out first, not holding anyone up.

One question if I may...
Your monthly medal sheet goes up and 3 of the slowest players in the club have booked the second tee off time...08.08
Would you choose 08.00 or 08.16?
Personally 8.00.

One question.

Three nhs nurses who are on an afternoon shift 3/11pm what time do they play if they’re a bit slow?

People have jobs to go to and you just can’t dictate to them when they can play a sport they have paid a lot of money to.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think tee time spacing helps

Personally I think it works better with 10 minutes between times

Also think clubs need clocks on the tee and you only tee off at peak times when it's your tee time. Rather than oh their out of range now

Once played a course and they wouldn't let you tee off until the group in front was off the 1st green (320 yard par 4) course was Ramo but we all got round without hold ups in 3 hours 30 mins

Spacing is king

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Think tee time spacing helps

Personally I think it works better with 10 minutes between times

Also think clubs need clocks on the tee and you only tee off at peak times when it's your tee time. Rather than oh their out of range now

Once played a course and they wouldn't let you tee off until the group in front was off the 1st green (320 yard par 4) course was Ramo but we all got round without hold ups in 3 hours 30 mins

Spacing is king
Start every course with a par 3....
Immediately sets the spacing with no argument or chance to go early.

PaulMdj

Visit site
As I said, it will police itself.
If a slow player puts his name down for an early time he will not enjoy being dragged round in 3 hours and will opt for a later tee time for the next comp.

But back to the question, 08.00 or 08.16?
What if he pulls the other 2 back and loses pace on the group in front?

Me, depends on the people in the other times, the slow group maybe better company.

Imurg

Visit site
I would venture that, barring a very small minority of idiots, most people who play golf play at either..
A. They time they want to play
Or
B. The time they are able to play.

There will be some who just like to create aggro but that's a very tiny number.
When I was working I played early because..
A. It's when I prefer playing
And
B. It's when I was able to play due to work.
If I was a slower player ( and nobody admits to it anyway) and I was encouraged to play later due to the amount of time I took I would completely ignore the request as it wouldn't fit my timescales...
So.......?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This, 100% this!

With the correct spacing no one should ever wait, and it really highlights slow play giving the offenders no where to hide.
Some clubs have to many members who want to play in the comps.
So they thought 8min tee times were the answer.
But there not , they cause more problems than they solve.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's the beauty of it, players will find their own speed.
If they are slow, they are not going to enjoy being dragged round for 3 hours so will select a later tee time next month, it's self policing.
That isn't how it works though. Much more likely that the three quick players get held back and slowed to the speed of the one slow player.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

At my old club we would wait until people had played their second shot on and were past the bunker (320/340 ish uphill) before playing our second. It was an unwritten rule.

If you caught the group in front from there a “ chop chop lads” often did the job.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Personally 8.00.
Why, because you'd rather be in front of a slow group than behind them?
Three nhs nurses who are on an afternoon shift 3/11pm what time do they play if they’re a bit slow?

People have jobs to go to and you just can’t dictate to them when they can play a sport they have paid a lot of money to.
For the third time... no-one is telling people when they must play.
If they have to play early because of work they can but they will have to get a move on.
I would venture that, barring a very small minority of idiots, most people who play golf play at either..
A. They time they want to play
Or
B. The time they are able to play.

There will be some who just like to create aggro but that's a very tiny number.
When I was working I played early because..
A. It's when I prefer playing
And
B. It's when I was able to play due to work.
If I was a slower player ( and nobody admits to it anyway) and I was encouraged to play later due to the amount of time I took I would completely ignore the request as it wouldn't fit my timescales...
So.......?
For the fourth time, play when you want, but accept that the early tee times will be quick and the later slower.
Plus, we're not talking about a huge number of players, 3, maybe 4 tee times at the start and the end of the day.

Imurg

Visit site
On competition days we don't allow 4 balls until 2.30pm......the only time 4 players go out in competition before then is 4BBB, Foresomes or Greensomes
And if there's not enough slots for everyone to play the comp then it's too bad...rarely happens to be fair..

PaulMdj

Visit site

If they have to play early because of work they can but they will have to get a move on.

For the fourth time, play when you want, but accept that the early tee times will be quick and the later slower.
Plus, we're not talking about a huge number of players, 3, maybe 4 tee times at the start and the end of the day.
Who’s to say the quicker groups will maintain “their” pace and not get dragged backwards by the slower player in the group?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So if players don’t or won’t comply to speed rules that’s when sanctions are nessesary and it becomes messy.

D-S

Visit site

But slow players are just that, people who play slowly and they simply don’t accept that play at their time of choosing will be quick or slow. They play at their own pace and even with cajoling and the other players playing fast and consistently waiting for them they do not speed up, it is their own routine/faffing/absent mindedness/selfishnesss. I can’t see how miraculously playing at a ‘faster time’ turns them into a different player.
As we all know telling them doesn’t work.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Who’s to say the quicker groups will maintain “their” pace and not get dragged backwards by the slower player in the group?
Then it will be 2 against one and the slow player wont enjoy his round

So if players don’t or won’t comply to speed rules that’s when sanctions are nessesary and it becomes messy.
Wouldn't people enjoy their round more if they weren't being dragged around or held up?

But slow players are just that, people who play slowly and they simply don’t accept that play at their time of choosing will be quick or slow. They play at their own pace and even with cajoling and the other players playing fast and consistently waiting for them they do not speed up, it is their own routine/faffing/absent mindedness/selfishnesss. I can’t see how miraculously playing at a ‘faster time’ turns them into a different player.
That's the whole point. No-one is telling anyone that they must play faster.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is the problem not faster players - expecting others to play to a pace that they set ?
When did this culture of victimising slower players, as if they are commiting a crime, come about ?

Rusty Bucket

Visit site
There’s your answer.
Some clubs have alternating 7 and 8 minute tee times which for a 4 ball is asking for trouble. No real chance of letting the group ‘get away’ even if they are swift players. Play will ‘back up’ at the first par 3.
R&A Pace of Play guidelines suggest a minimum of 10 mins for a 4 ball, preferably 12 mins but no club that I know of does that. Even at 10 minute intervals there’s always a group that will ‘go early’, and then complain about the pace of play.
Yep and we have got two par 3's in the first 4 holes and I agree that the R & A guidelines are ignored by most clubs, short sighted and frustrating. Nobody should tee off before their allocated tee time but most do if they can get away with it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You cannot impose, or even dream that slower/faster players will play at specific times. That is completely pie in the sky. People play when it suits them to play.
They might do if they know they won't be held up or pushed all the way round.
And again, no-one is dictating or imposing any time you must play at.

Is the problem not faster players - expecting others to play to a pace that they set ?
When did this culture of victimising slower players, as if they are commiting a crime, come about ?
Quick players will have zero impact on slow players behind them.

At the end of the day, people have been trying to solve slow play for decades...timers, education, signs etc etc none of which have worked.

Some people want to play fast, some want to play slower....that is a fact of life.

Just be aware that if you want to nip round in 3 hours, you'll be better off playing in front of the slower players