Slope...... the range finder type that is

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As long as you believe that everyone has the slope switched off that's all that matters (y)
Mine has it and the switch is a sliding disc on the side ( bushnel XE) it’s quite clear when the slope is on as the background is red when it’s off it’s black.
But you would have to know what to look for.
I was surprised how much it does put on some shots two clubs is a lot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mine has it and the switch is a sliding disc on the side ( bushnel XE) it’s quite clear when the slope is on as the background is red when it’s off it’s black.
Another thing, surely it depends on the ground and weather conditions? If you're going downhill, let's say it says go down one club, but if it's hot and bone dry on the ground then you may need to go down more as you're going to go miles of roll down the hill in those conditions - does it know all that??

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
the switch on mine is on the back of the unit and the only way to tell its off is the flag/curved line symbol doesn't display one the screen when you are looking at the target.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another thing, surely it depends on the ground and weather conditions? If you're going downhill, let's say it says go down one club, but if it's hot and bone dry on the ground then you may need to go down more as you're going to go miles of roll down the hill in those conditions - does it know all that??
It’s just a tool.
But a very good one!
The golfer still has to hit the shot in the conditions.
Had one yesterday 145 yd’s downhill hard ground ,I hit 56* sand wedge and it went 10 yd’s through the green.
Normal SW for me is 90 yd’s.
They help but it’s a starting point, you still have to work it out as you rightly say.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the switch on mine is on the back of the unit and the only way to tell its off is the flag/curved line symbol doesn't display one the screen when you are looking at the target.
Mine gives the yardage to the pin then the adjusted yardage is displayed with the slope symbol.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Of course it doesn't, but a GPS doesn't know that, nor does a normal range finder without slope. What it gives you is an accurate yardage to the pin that takes into account the difference in yardage given the change in elevation. The rest of that is on the player to work out, but that's the case with any device that gives you a yardage, but at least you're getting an accurate distance to the pin which you can then base the other calculations off.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

you would have to be a real genius to be able to accurately judge roll distance, far too many factors involved, i just deal with carry

a handy tool, but alas there are no free downloads or free apps for it you have to buy one:ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
you would have to be a real genius to be able to accurately judge roll distance, far too many factors involved, i just deal with carry

a handy tool, but alas there are no free downloads or free apps for it you have to buy one:ROFLMAO:
If the evidence of my own eyes ever becomes completely imperceptible to me, I shall consider it.

NearHull

Visit site
Well, that is news to me! I didn’t realise that slope adjustment was a selectable option on (some/all?) laser range finders. I hope that knowledge doesn’t affect my perception of laser users. (I am a Skycaddy Luddite)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For me the actual delta in distance to a flag on a raised green from the level distance is irrelevant - it's all about carry and I know that I simply get less carry due to truncated trajectory of the shot to the raised green and so need more club. The longer the approach - the greater the loss of carry compared to the level. I don't bother that much trying to work out what might happen to the ball after it hits - I just know it will not stop as quick.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
For me the actual delta in distance to a flag on a raised green from the level distance is irrelevant - it's all about carry and I know that I simply get less carry due to truncated trajectory of the shot to the raised green and so need more club. The longer the approach - the greater the loss of carry compared to the level. I don't bother that much trying to work out what might happen to the ball after it hits - I just know it will not stop as quick.
thanks for letting us know thats a great help:ROFLMAO:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
thanks for letting us know thats a great help:ROFLMAO:

Well I don't know what info the slope thingy gives - but if it just revised yardage to the flag I don't know how much that would help me. 150yds to flag on the level a 7i, I don't think slope adjusted (diagonal?) 150yds to a flag on raised green wouldn't still be a 7i. Though I am guessing that the slope-thingy takes into account the truncated trajectory the ball takes to the raised green - it's not just the longer distance to the flag due to pythagoras?