Slope...... the range finder type that is

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Well I don't know what info the slope thingy gives - but if it just revised yardage to the flag I don't know how much that would help me. 150yds to flag on the level a 7i, I don't think slope adjusted (diagonal?) 150yds to a flag on raised green wouldn't still be a 7i. Though I am guessing that the slope-thingy takes into account the truncated trajectory the ball takes to the raised green - it's not just the longer distance to the flag due to pythagoras?

My one shows the true distance to the flag then the slope adjusted distance that takes the uphill/downhill elevation into account

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I don't know what info the slope thingy gives - but if it just revised yardage to the flag I don't know how much that would help me....
If you think it through you will realise that, for the laser, the diagonal is actually it's normal measurement (unlike a GPS system that deals in 2D).
It follows that the slope adjusted reading is delivering a figure that attempts to take into account the ball's likely trajectory over that distance (which will of course require further adjustment for most of us as we don't have a consistent 100ft apex!)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you think it through you will realise that, for the laser, the diagonal is actually it's normal measurement (unlike a GPS system that deals in 2D).
It follows that the slope adjusted reading is delivering a figure that attempts to take into account the ball's likely trajectory over that distance (which will of course require further adjustment for most of us as we don't have a consistent 100ft apex!)

OK - so it taking account trajectory makes sense otherwise it wouldn't make sense (to me anyway). I get the '100ft inconsistency' thing, I guess there will be a similar player own adjustment due to the impact coming form the club the player is using to play the shot...I am struggling to think this through in my head in 3D so might be completely getting wrong what different trajectories mean when - say - one player is playing a 7i in and another playing a 9i.

Anyway. As I understand it - using such a 'slope' function is illegal in comps.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
OK - so it taking account trajectory makes sense otherwise it wouldn't make sense (to me anyway). I get the '100ft inconsistency' thing, I guess there will be a similar player own adjustment due to the impact coming form the club the player is using to play the shot...I am struggling to think this through in my head in 3D so might be completely getting wrong what different trajectories mean when - say - one player is playing a 7i in and another playing a 9i.

Anyway. As I understand it - using such a 'slope' function is illegal in comps.
it is and it even mentioned that in the first sentence in the OP, nothing to stop you in bounce games, so what your point?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
...I am struggling to think this through in my head in 3D so might be completely getting wrong what different trajectories mean when - say - one player is playing a 7i in and another playing a 9i.

Elite players won't have any difference in the relevant part of their trajectories across clubs. 2 iron or PW will apex at the same height.

Mere mortals are happy to even get a 2 iron off the ground from a tight lie!

Put another way, the player is by far the greater element on the relevant trajectory than the club used. No need to struggle over it.

sunshine

Visit site
Elite players won't have any difference in the relevant part of their trajectories across clubs. 2 iron or PW will apex at the same height.

Mere mortals are happy to even get a 2 iron off the ground from a tight lie!

Put another way, the player is by far the greater element on the relevant trajectory than the club used. No need to struggle over it.

This was a really thought provoking post (for me). I had to draw the trajectories and Pythagoras to get it clear in my head and realise that a range finder that calculates slope is only doing so based on an estimated trajectory. A scratch golfer's trajectory v a high handicapper's is very different, especially as you get further out, so the slope adjustment could be useless if it doesn't match your ball flight.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
This was a really thought provoking post (for me). I had to draw the trajectories and Pythagoras to get it clear in my head and realise that a range finder that calculates slope is only doing so based on an estimated trajectory. A scratch golfer's trajectory v a high handicapper's is very different, especially as you get further out, so the slope adjustment could be useless if it doesn't match your ball flight.

There are many factors besides slope to factor in to a shot, but never the less part of a balls flight is on the way down so slope will always be a crucial consideration.

sunshine

Visit site
There are many factors besides slope to factor in to a shot, but never the less part of a balls flight is on the way down so slope will always be a crucial consideration.

I suppose my point was that a normal laser is measuring a fact - the distance in a straight line between two points - but a slope adjusted laser is making assumptions about the trajectory of the ball flight to estimate distance.

In cricket we see hawkeye used for LBW decisions where it is estimating the trajectory of the ball after it has hit the batsman. However hawkeye is using the ball's trajectory up until impact to make the estimate. A slope laser is doing the same but without the detail of your trajectory.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suppose my point was that a normal laser is measuring a fact - the distance in a straight line between two points - but a slope adjusted laser is making assumptions about the trajectory of the ball flight to estimate distance.

In cricket we see hawkeye used for LBW decisions where it is estimating the trajectory of the ball after it has hit the batsman. However hawkeye is using the ball's trajectory up until impact to make the estimate. A slope laser is doing the same but without the detail of your trajectory.
This is correct but someone hitting 7iron 150 yd’s has a different trajectory to say Dustin Johnson hitting wedge 150yds.
You still have to work YOUR yardage and club out as the slope reading is only a starting point.
If I hit my 7 iron 160yds with 10+ for slope that’s 170yds is 6 iron this will have a flatter trajectory and land short of its normal carry on an uphill green so will probably go long.
Slope helps but it’s only a tool it still takes skill to hit and stop the ball.
The biggest thing is to hit the irons properly the correct distance ,if you can’t do that it’s a waste of time