Slipped Disc

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Co codamol and naproxen. Really cant say they have made any difference so far.

Nope, they won't touch it.
It's nerve pain, standard treatment is amitriptyline.
Diazepam can help too.

I had a few sessions with physio, did nothing then went to an osteopath.
He referred me for mri and then we knew where the problem was, swimming and specific back stretching was the way out for me, didn't bother with the amitriptyline.

Mandofred

Visit site
And there closed.
Hanging upside down in the loft sounds bad but sure Seve had a device to do this!
Hope you sort it nothing worse than a bad back.
I have an inversion table I use, makes my back feel better......but....you really need to be careful using it. Some issues the table might make worse. I had a couple of bulging discs that it worked well with. Slipped disc is another critter.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I ended up having a discectomy where they slice the protruding bit of the disc

Had mine done in 2006 and was a great success.

It was the spinal pain relief injection a couple of months before that nearly killed me.

Good luck ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How are we feeling now? I've been in awful pain this last 8 weeks. Been to see a physio on Monday and he thinks I have a slipped disc or some kind of protrusion. Either way I'm in a bad way. The prescribed tablets aren't really cutting the mustard either.

Hope you can tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Not massively I'm afraid. I've had 9 sessions so far and whilst I feel better after them I don't feel I've improved that much overall.

I think my expectations were squidgy disk slips out, do stretches, get manipulated, relax back, squidgy disk pops back in, all good. I was hoping for a glorious, single moment of relief. I'm getting the impression it wont work in a click your fingers type of way.

I have 3 more to go, I booked 12, and then I need to think about my next move. All the online suggestions say I'm doing the right things, the physio is doing the right things but the progress isn't as great as I'd hoped.

I'm reading these posts as keenly as you are. Best of luck and if you get any improvements please advise what it is that helped. I'll do the same ?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not massively I'm afraid. I've had 9 sessions so far and whilst I feel better after them I don't feel I've improved that much overall.

I think my expectations were squidgy disk slips out, do stretches, get manipulated, relax back, squidgy disk pops back in, all good. I was hoping for a glorious, single moment of relief. I'm getting the impression it wont work in a click your fingers type of way.

I have 3 more to go, I booked 12, and then I need to think about my next move. All the online suggestions say I'm doing the right things, the physio is doing the right things but the progress isn't as great as I'd hoped.

I'm reading these posts as keenly as you are. Best of luck and if you get any improvements please advise what it is that helped. I'll do the same ?

I'd say if you don't . see anything after 6 , you're wasting your time.
Think I had 5 and decided I was just wasting my.money.
Osteopathy was.definitely more manipulation, but I think the game changer was the mri when he knew specifically.what to work.on.

The other thing for me.was iceing, which is why swimming was.good cos the pool was bloody freezing ❄❄

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've just been told to take the meds and do some stretching.

Physio didnt want to move for scan just yet. Will pay for it if needs be.

So glad it's this time of the year so dont feel so bad.

Proper downer all the same. Had planned to do some running but thats been out the window since this started.

Will get back in the pool as soon as I can.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I ended up having a discectomy where they slice the protruding bit of the disc

Had mine done in 2006 and was a great success.

It was the spinal pain relief injection a couple of months before that nearly killed me.

Good luck ?

Out of interest, do you remember the name of the consultant that did the injections?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have an inversion table I use, makes my back feel better......but....you really need to be careful using it. Some issues the table might make worse. I had a couple of bulging discs that it worked well with. Slipped disc is another critter.
One of my crane drivers had this he used to hang upside down from the vertical ladder in the crane cab.
It was just high enough for him ,his head was about 6” from the cab floor.
Absolute lunatic.
If anything had happened it would need mountain rescue again.

Mandofred

Visit site
One of my crane drivers had this he used to hang upside down from the vertical ladder in the crane cab.
It was just high enough for him ,his head was about 6” from the cab floor.
Absolute lunatic.
If anything had happened it would need mountain rescue again.
He must have the "boots" with the hook on them. These used to be popular 20-30yrs ago when they came out. Problem with them is it's all or nothing with the incline. With a table you can pick how much gravity you can handle. Good buddy of mine bought the boots (never really used them, it was a new toy for him) about 30 years ago. The assistant Head teacher came in and noticed them and thought he would like to give them a try. Hooked his feet/boots around the gym pull-ups bars.......and then my buddy had to help get him off because he was too out of shape to get the boot hooks off the bar.

I like my table, although I only use it for 5 minutes once or twice a day. BUT.....if I had something like a slipped disc or "worse"...not sure I'd want to try them. I had a couple of bulging discs, painful just in the spot where they were. They have since relapsed, but it still feels good to put a little stretch into the back. People with high blood pressure, eye issues, stroke etc etc etc should NOT even think about using one.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
After 12 sessions I no longer have the symptons of a slipped disc. Unfortunately I still have the pain of a slipped disk! Mmmmmm. Person I was seeing has advised I need to continue with the stretching, improve core strength but actual sessions are no longer of value. At least they are not looking for more money.

I've spoken to my doctor today and they have booked me in to speak to a physio there. They will then decide whether to refer me to a specific musculoskeletal set up or whether exercises will actually be enough. The doctor is also prescribing stronger painkillers as ibuprofen is not making any difference. Perhaps I should have done this in the first place.

@GreiginFife how is your back doing?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After 12 sessions I no longer have the symptons of a slipped disc. Unfortunately I still have the pain of a slipped disk! Mmmmmm. Person I was seeing has advised I need to continue with the stretching, improve core strength but actual sessions are no longer of value. At least they are not looking for more money.

I've spoken to my doctor today and they have booked me in to speak to a physio there. They will then decide whether to refer me to a specific musculoskeletal set up or whether exercises will actually be enough. The doctor is also prescribing stronger painkillers as ibuprofen is not making any difference. Perhaps I should have done this in the first place.

@GreiginFife how is your back doing?

MRI (y)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Hopefully. At least if I am in the system that can become an option.
One of me PP, tricky Trev ended up with chronic back pain. He saw a physio who gave him some exercises to do re core strength etc. He has done it for years. I asked him between lockdowns how his back is. He said it’s fantastic, the pain nigh on gone, but he religiously does his exercises which he swears by.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of me PP, tricky Trev ended up with chronic back pain. He saw a physio who gave him some exercises to do re core strength etc. He has done it for years. I asked him between lockdowns how his back is. He said it’s fantastic, the pain nigh on gone, but he religiously does his exercises which he swears by.
I've also been given core strengthening exercises which I am following. It's dull but the incentive to be pain free is pretty strong. Good to hear they worked ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm on the road to recovery. 3 weeks ago it took me 2 minutes to stand up straight. I'm now able to do it fairly quickly. Leaps and bounds recovery this last week.