Slightly Techie Club Building Question

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Morning all,

Shaft manufacturers provide installation instructions for their shafts in terms of tip trimming for drivers and woods - the Mitsubishi Rayon site is a good example of this (and most relevant as these are the shafts I'm considering).

However, the generic advise of no tipping for a driver seems rather arbitrary as they don't know whether its being installed in a thru bore, blind bore or standard bore which would affect how the shaft plays.

I'll ignore the thru bore for now as I imagine you'd should be using a 4" parallel section shaft and I'm looking at the x5ct models which I understand have 3" parallel sections.

Question 1- Do installation instructions assume a standard insertion depth? I.e. do they assume a 1.5" blind bore so if installing in a 1" standard bore, contrary to the instructions you would tip 0.5" to play to flex?

Question 2 - I have a Cobra AMP which I'll be experimenting with over the coming months. What's the insertion depth for the aft adaptors and, if less than the 'industry standard' (which I'm sure there isn't as that would be too easy) should I tip the differential when inserting in the adaptor for it to play true to flex?

Question 3 - I'm a stiff flex. However, if I see a deal on an x flex, if I install it without tip trimming (i.e. not taking off that 0.5" as the manufacturer assumes 1.5" insertion depth and aft adaptor is 1", would that essentially be the same as soft stepping the shaft or would that be a bad idea with graphite in terms of how it will play, dispersion, etc.?

Any help from the experts appreciated. :)

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've just been reminded its BBGM I should be interested in, so ignore the questions above.

Does anyone know if the amp's BBGM is 1.5"?