Slight downswing change - but how?

washathi

Medal Winner
Visit site
My swing is generally much better than it was......but - something my pro has noticed is that in my downswing, before impact, my arms are too far from my body. I still hit the ball ok most of the time but that's thanks to my hands/eyes making last minute (ie last millisecond) adjustments.

What we're struggling with is what kind of drill I could do that would help me to keep my arms in a better place on the downswing. I've seen people put towels under their arms.....but my pro said thats fine for pitching but will interfere with a full swing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
My swing is generally much better than it was......but - something my pro has noticed is that in my downswing, before impact, my arms are too far from my body. I still hit the ball ok most of the time but that's thanks to my hands/eyes making last minute (ie last millisecond) adjustments.

What we're struggling with is what kind of drill I could do that would help me to keep my arms in a better place on the downswing. I've seen people put towels under their arms.....but my pro said thats fine for pitching but will interfere with a full swing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Cant your pro come up with one?

I'm assuming the cause is casting or coming over the top because if you are hitting from the inside (like you ought to be) then I cant see how your arms could be too far from your body.

Do you slice a lot?

One drill a pro taught me was to take a mid iron and align yourself to a target. Then try to hit every shot to the right of that target, you can see how this will encourage you to hit from an in to out plane.

washathi

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks very much for the replies. I like the "hitting to right" drill. But (and this is typical) I went to the range yesterday and hit everything straight!

I did wonder whether (something else my pro spotted) I overdo my take away sometimes, ie as I start the upswing I move the club head away from me a bit.

I like the Ben Hogan vid.....though his arms are very bent at each end of his swing (didn't do his golf any harm).

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im working on the ideal of hitting on an in to out with a slightly open clubface.

Do you know what you are trying to do?

I know if it goes straight and left I need to not roll my hands over (carryover from my collapsing right side) and if I push right and stay (or even fade) I have swung straight or out to in.

On the range I can then adjust back to where I want to be, starting right and drawing back to centre.