SkyTrak - First Impessions

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So after going back and forth on it over the past year finally bit the bullet and got a SkyTrak.

First impressions are a bit mixed. Initial setup was a bit of a faff but got it working OK. First use on the range went well. Out of about 100 balls with various clubs it only got the flight wrong on about 2 shots. Distances were initially off, was hitting balls a lot longer than I know I do, but I adjusted the default conditions, temperatures and firmness, and it came back in line with my normal distances.

Found the challenges facility really useful where you can set a number of target distances and a number of shots and then get scored on hitting target. Made practice a bit more focused with some pressure.

Also found it useful for working on wedge distances. I know I struggle with a 90 yard shot. So just set a target and tried a few different shot\club options to get something repeatable.

So up until then. All good. Now the bad.

Had nothing but trouble with the software saving and syncing my data to the SkyGolf cloud. Lost all the data from my first session when the SkyTrak app updated. It won't sync my data to the cloud storage even though it says it's sync'd. Had 2 chat sessions with support. Neither of which resolved the problem. They ended up asking me to call the UK support line. Who couldn't help either and told me to try syncing on Monday as they were doing some updates this weekend. I'm not hopeful. :-(

I have the play and improve plan which allows me to play something like 18 WGT courses, but haven't tried that yet. Maybe this weekend.

So initial impressions.

Could be a great tool for practicing with purpose. Ball flight seems pretty accurate to me. But they need to sort the software out for a better user experience.

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
The hardware seems great, but the customer support/subscription bit seems pants from what I've seen.

Where's the flood of cheap GC2's on ebay now the Quad has launched.... what are Foresight doing with all them upgrades I wonder.

Also, the Mevo is due out soon, no?

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did look at the Mevo. It was due in March but still looks like it's on Pre-order.

The other comments I read was that ou don't get all the spin numbers (spin angle I think) and to get some of the other spin numbers you need to put some sticky silver dots on the ball, where the SkyTrak doesn't need that.