Sky Sports PGA Coverage

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think Monty lost his way a little in the weather break. His constant 'and err' was beginning to annoy but I do like the old school stories. shame Sky didn't have any features/interviews ready for interruptions.

Happy to hear that play is resuming, school night tonight...

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
When living in NZ we used to get European tour golf from Euro productions, basically wall to wall golf, adverts once an hour. US golf was complete opposite, wall to wall adverts and about 5 mins of golf. Only way to watch it was recorded and then with finger on the fast forward button

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nonsense yourself, you don't know what your talking about. I've been installing multi-satellite systems for over twenty years and it is only the British public that would put up with the Sky prices and adverts on a subscription service. The British just moan and don't do anything about it. Easy to get a European card and system nowadays, search for "Broadcasting without frontiers" which the EU are pushing.

Good for you. If its nonsense then why do sky allow Nick Faldo etc to talk on our screens with their CBS or NBC clobber on?

Sky pay the american networks for coverage so they are in their hands, on majors we get skys commentators but american network coverage. Facts are facts.

I can install sat navs in cars, doesn't mean i know where the signal comes from.

Seems like you don't know what you are talking about.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nonsense yourself, you don't know what your talking about. I've been installing multi-satellite systems for over twenty years and it is only the British public that would put up with the Sky prices and adverts on a subscription service. The British just moan and don't do anything about it. Easy to get a European card and system nowadays, search for "Broadcasting without frontiers" which the EU are pushing.

Nah I only worked for BSkyB for 15 years. Wouldn't know a thing about it. Adverts on a subscription service is nothing new. But the point was that the coverage is fed from a US supplier. You could certainly watch the inane chatter that takes place every two minutes and then sections of black screen where they do "sponsor messages" every other two minutes (which for most BSkyB CANNOT show in the UK due to product or licence restrictions)
But as I say, what would I know :rolleyes:

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Precisely. A complete nonsense of a post. The US broadcasters simply do not allow foreign broadcasters to set-up shop on the PGA tour, continental European or not.

I bow down to your technical expertise. Ignorance is bliss, hope you enjoy the 20 minutes of adverts / hour! :lol:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bow down to your technical expertise. Ignorance is bliss, hope you enjoy the 20 minutes of adverts / hour! :lol:

No need to bow, you can do your knees that way. :p
There is a formula for ads, maximum 10 per hour if no longer than 3 minutes, standard is 4 of 7 minutes long IIRC. There can be different combinations but nothing more than 7 minutes I think.
Having watched the ESPN coverage of the Masters this year, I would welcome the ads though, the two guys sitting in the ESPN "lodge" that it cut back to after every shot, and I mean EVERY one, ran out of things to talk about quickly to the extent that they spent 5 minutes at one point talking about a boat the guy had bought the week before, then it cut to a sponsor message for "get out of the rough with Adams" that seemed contextless and just shoehorned in.
We put up with a lot in the UK, but we wouldn't put up with THAT!

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nah I only worked for BSkyB for 15 years. Wouldn't know a thing about it. Adverts on a subscription service is nothing new. But the point was that the coverage is fed from a US supplier. You could certainly watch the inane chatter that takes place every two minutes and then sections of black screen where they do "sponsor messages" every other two minutes (which for most BSkyB CANNOT show in the UK due to product or licence restrictions)
But as I say, what would I know :rolleyes:

An unbiased view then? There was no excuse for Sky UK's coverage of the Ryder cup it was minutes behind the European coverage in order to show adverts - which the European broadcasters were not showing.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
An unbiased view then? There was no excuse for Sky UK's coverage of the Ryder cup it was minutes behind the European coverage in order to show adverts - which the European broadcasters were not showing.

Unbiased as I no longer work for them, gave factual response and happy to chide them when they are crap, like my broadband.
The Ryder Cup coverage was somewhat of a mystery even to us that worked there, I won't deny that it could have been better, however I would also have some suspicion that the Ryder Cup had something to do with how it was broadcast, the only thing I do know is that Sky had to make more concessions around the RC than they have done for any other tournament in sport, what those concessions were only the deal-makers knew. Which left my colleagues in Marketing a bit flummoxed. However, that said, that is not the same as the point of this thread which is talking about US based tournament that has a US feed.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not completely fair to say Sky has no control or it’s not their fault. They knew what they were buying and agreed that this is what they’d get

While it’s probably impractical commercially/contractually, other feeds do exist and if enough cash was offered then they could be secured by a broadcaster

Actually with enough money on offer we could be watching footage from Rory’s Cap-Cam as he plays his round or a live feed of what happens in Tigers hotel room when he’s on the course (if a broadcaster thought that was worth it) as well as commercial free coverage for 10 hours a day

So Sky (or any broadcaster) is absolutely in control of and responsible for what they show, it just depends on what they are prepared to pay for. Once the deal is done however then they have little control to show more/less

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not completely fair to say Sky has no control or it’s not their fault. They knew what they were buying and agreed that this is what they’d get

While it’s probably impractical commercially/contractually, other feeds do exist and if enough cash was offered then they could be secured by a broadcaster

Actually with enough money on offer we could be watching footage from Rory’s Cap-Cam as he plays his round or a live feed of what happens in Tigers hotel room when he’s on the course (if a broadcaster thought that was worth it) as well as commercial free coverage for 10 hours a day

So Sky (or any broadcaster) is absolutely in control of and responsible for what they show, it just depends on what they are prepared to pay for. Once the deal is done however then they have little control to show more/less

As simplistic as you make it sound its not quite that easy. The US PGA are notoriously protrctive of live feeds, businesses can offer as much money as they like but if someone isng willing to sell then thats that. Outside of thr continental US of A there is also problems with adverts and sponsor messages due to product and/or licensing restrictions.
I know a few guys from broadcast marketong that worked on the last rights deal and they said it was painful and that the US PGA were a nightmare to deal with, NFL was much easier as they were more open to the throwing money at them idea.

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am appalled at the Sky coverage...I only managed to watch an hour or so last night but there was no coverage at all of Sarah Stirk:whistle:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As simplistic as you make it sound its not quite that easy. The US PGA are notoriously protrctive of live feeds, businesses can offer as much money as they like but if someone isng willing to sell then thats that. Outside of thr continental US of A there is also problems with adverts and sponsor messages due to product and/or licensing restrictions.
I know a few guys from broadcast marketong that worked on the last rights deal and they said it was painful and that the US PGA were a nightmare to deal with, NFL was much easier as they were more open to the throwing money at them idea.

I agree its not that easy ( & it shouldn't be IMO) but lets not absolve any of the parties who have responsibility, in whole or part, for what was delivered to the viewers/customers. They are all responsible inc the PGA, SKY, ESPN etc etc)

No one is holding up the coverage yesterday as 'something special' and that's what we've come to expect from subscription TV (rightly or wrongly)

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I watched coverage of last year's US Open in Spain with about 1 ad break every 3 hours. I watched the leaders play the entire back nine, every single shot, every player, no ad breaks or studio analysis. It must be online somewhere for every major. No idea what channel it was but it seemed to be a Spanish gold dedicated channel. (as you would assume!)