sky sports falling short again.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
So there I was sat waiting for the last of our kids to head to bed earlier and switched over to the pga golf on Sky. Began with the featured fourballs as usual, did a few things round the house and sat back down to watch the golf again. Come 11pm the same 2 featured fourballs are on the short par4 12th. Coverage ends and highlights of the south african euro pga comp starts with no apologies nor reasons.
To me that is like showing half a football match live then stopping to show one from yesterday. Think its time to rethink the 80 quid I donate to them each month as more and more adverts and less and less meaningful content seems to be the norm now rather than the exception.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll get rid of it after the Lions tour. A couple of things really annoy me, I know it's mainly a football channel/s, but on champions league evenings they can have as much as 3 games on at any one time. Sky Sports 1 will have a football special on and the same programme will be on sky sports news at exactly the same time :eek: not much programme choice

the other thing is mis-scheduling. I have planned to record Shells Wonderful World of Golf as the guide states it’s on, I sit down to watch it and they have shown WWE instead :( it's just amateur

the US golf is pretty good, I like Faldo's commentry, really the European stuff is rubbish.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sky Sports buy the feed in from America. If they stop broadcasting, so does Sky.

I can't stand watching PGA golf on telly anyway. You get two putts, a chip, some colour comentary from Johnny and Nick, the two most pompous men on the planet, then a video of some country and western song about golf, then 5 minutes of adverts, then back to the putting.

Repeat ad nauseum.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Totally agree with the above, I don't bother with Thurs and Fri, it does get a little better at the weekend when they can show the leaders all the time. It's all to do with the concentration span of your average American, not very long. Sky frequently apologise about the lack of golf in the US coverage. I personally prefer the European coverage that Sky have more control over.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Seems wierd that the US coverage just stops half way through? - What's that all about?
As Brendy says it's like showing the first half of a Footy match or leaving a Cricket match at Tea...
If they can't show all of it - why show any of it?

US Golf is dull anyway.....for the most part.

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'll get rid of it after the Lions tour. A couple of things really annoy me, I know it's mainly a football channel/s, but on champions league evenings they can have as much as 3 games on at any one time. Sky Sports 1 will have a football special on and the same programme will be on sky sports news at exactly the same time :eek: not much programme choice

the other thing is mis-scheduling. I have planned to record Shells Wonderful World of Golf as the guide states it’s on, I sit down to watch it and they have shown WWE instead :( it's just amateur

the US golf is pretty good, I like Faldo's commentry, really the European stuff is rubbish.

If you have sky anytime and go on sky sports all the episodes are already on there mate

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The americans werent stopping though, no mention of it.

They stop on the main network channel but sometimes continue on the golf channel. Sky cant always get the rights to the golf channel. Its like at the weekend when sky start coverage at 6PM they have to stop coverage for 30 mins half way through while the channels cross over.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
BBC's coverage of the Open, last two days of the Masters and the other odd tournaments its covers wins hand down IMO.

No adverts
Peter Alliss
Ken on the green

ENOUGH SAID

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't stand watching PGA golf on telly anyway. You get two putts, a chip, some colour comentary from Johnny and Nick, the two most pompous men on the planet, then a video of some country and western song about golf, then 5 minutes of adverts, then back to the putting.

Repeat ad nauseum.

I've not been watching the golf on Sky for very long, but I've found it the other way round.

On the US golf you get to see tee shots, approaches, and around/on the greens. Admittedly mostly the same people all the time but I'm ok with that, I'm not particularly interested in watching people I've never heard of.

I tried to watch the Euro tour event last week and had to turn it off after 5 minutes because I'd seen nothing but putts. Maybe I just got unlucky.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
BBC's coverage of the Open, last two days of the Masters and the other odd tournaments its covers wins hand down IMO.

No adverts
Peter Alliss
Ken on the green

ENOUGH SAID

I've said it before but..... I'd love to see the Sky viewing figures from Saturday & Sunday at the Master compared to Thursday & Friday! I'll bet a lot of people do the same as me and switch straight to auntie when she picks up her coverage on Saturday (same with the F1!) but I'm sure Sky'll tell us they got more viewers than the beeb!

As an aside how do Sky Movies get away with showing the same film at 8pm every night for a week surely with the invention of Sky+ they only need to show it once and if you miss it but you want to see it set it to record?

Akie

Head Pro
Visit site
As an aside how do Sky Movies get away with showing the same film at 8pm every night for a week surely with the invention of Sky+ they only need to show it once and if you miss it but you want to see it set it to record?

Because if they didnt they'd actually have to buy the rights to some more films. Sky Movies is never worth the money because it takes about 18months for films to go through Sky Box Office etc.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
when I was in Spain when the US open was on I got to watch about 4hrs of straight coverage of the leaders rounds without a single ad break, or without any "personalities" talking in a studio or player interviews. just footage of every shot from every player that mattered.

I'm not sure how the "host broadcaster" excuse actually works - made me think about trying to find footage somewhere on the internet because someone, somewhere is watching the full tournament on telly without ad breaks...