Sky coverage of Farmers Open

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I quite like the coverage if I'm honest - the only thing that puts me off is Peter Oosterhuis (when he provides commentary rather than punditry).

Agree that Fowler is having a mare - he looks as though he's been taking putting tips from me!

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Watching the Sky coverage (and indeed subscribing) is a voluntary process so folk must do it for some enjoyment??!!

I don't like the inane American yaking but it's more than worth it to see some golf and always enjoy the UK studio stuff and comment. Shows Sky can get some insightful guests on there to make up for the septics' fawning over sponsors and avoidance of discussing anything remotely controversial. Interestingly however, even the Americans are reducing the Tiger coverage nowadays especially as he often vanishes over the weekend... Guess they try to generate interest on the opening day hoping he gets off to a flyer. Still puts bums on sofas.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I love when they get the main sponsor into the booth on a sunday to talk about how fantastic the whole thing has been. quality viewing

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I love when they get the main sponsor into the booth on a sunday to talk about how fantastic the whole thing has been. quality viewing

Brilliant! How uncomfortable do they look sometimes?! :D

Up there with the par 3 hole with the car available for a hole in one which always gets a mention from a cue card describing how x is a 'truly inspiring drive'. Magnificent.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I enjoy the coverage, sure some people have a tainted view of it knowing it's the American coverage. More interesting than the European Tour coverage, that's for sure.

D

Deleted member 18588

I enjoy the coverage, sure some people have a tainted view of it knowing it's the American coverage. More interesting than the European Tour coverage, that's for sure.

Only if you suffer from attention span deficit like the average American.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There would be FAR more moaning about coverage or lack of it, if we didnt have sky. Like them or not, over the last 10+ years they have changed sports broadcasting in this country. For the considerable better.

No golf coverage at all (or many other sports too) or some great coverage plus the showing of the American streamed events?

I know which one I would take. Every day of the week and on Sundays too..

D

Deleted member 15344

The coverage for the European Tour is good - able to watch lots of players and not just the one :thup:

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I quite liked the Sky coverage last night. Faldo still talks out of his arse but was put in his place by Dennis Pugh.

For me, I had about 45 mins of watching a lot of shots. Admittedly quite a few putts too but on the whole, more than enough to watch and admire. Would have been a lot less enjoyable doing more analysis or staying with one player longer.

The chopping and changing worked well, and yes, we did see most of Tiger's shots, but there wasn't much following him round the course - when he'd hit, the camera went elsewhere. Furthermore, if you're going to watch a player at this stage of a tournament, I'd rather watch him than someone who'd fluked it round with the round of their life to be near the top of the leaderboard, only to break tomorrow.

Last edited:

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I very rarely watch the US golf because of all that is mentioned above.

However as many have mentioned in this and numerous other threads, Sky rely on whatever US broadcaster they get it from.

Can you remember golf on TV before Sky? A few tournament highlights a year, the Open, the Masters and A Round With Allis and Pro Celeb Golf

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can you remember golf on TV before Sky? A few tournament highlights a year, the Open, the Masters and A Round With Allis and Pro Celeb Golf
i actually remember Sentanta having the golf before Sky, and when sky got it all the exclamations of great the coverage had become now that Sky was showing it .... when in actual fact the coverage was exactly the same but with different presenters :)

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
I quite liked the Sky coverage last night. Faldo still talks out of his arse but was put in his place by Dennis Pugh.

That was soooo funny last night! :p. When Faldo described how tiger should have played the draw, I said to my wife "thats not right, he's talking gonads"..... She said "so you know more than Nick Faldo now do you?

I wasn't about to go into the ball flight laws with her, and luckily didn't have to, as 2 minutes later, Dennis came on saying that Nick was totally wrong.......cue smug grin to the wife from me......she went to bed! :eek:

carlosportsman

Club Champion
Visit site
Down to Golf Channel not Sky Sports on this one though, they don't produce the coverage. Side note, really hoping Garcia doesn't win in Qatar, the guy is just a flat out whinger who gets away with it because he is considered a good guy etc.. If it was Tiger doing the stuff he does, he would be roundly criticised.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sky can only show what the host US broadcaster gives them. If it's US coverage you have to expect a Tiger fest. At least Sky use two of the ad breaks per hour to cut back to the studio rather than running ads all the time