Sky broadband

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My sky broadband connection keeps cutting out - so frustrating, it's been like this on and off for the last few weeks!

Anyone else have similar problems? I've tried changing the wireless channel, resetting things etc but to no avail!

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
Yup, sounds about right to me.
I've been having simillar problems for a while, slow speeds, signal keeps getting lost, etc, etc. I'm well pipped off with it. Just been looking at bt for a , more reliable service. I think sky are struggling with the ammount of new users they have and this has overwhelmed the service?
Not good!

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yup, sounds about right to me.
I've been having simillar problems for a while, slow speeds, signal keeps getting lost, etc, etc. I'm well pipped off with it. Just been looking at bt for a , more reliable service. I think sky are struggling with the ammount of new users they have and this has overwhelmed the service?
Not good!

Tis rubbishy rubbish rubbish. Just ring them, it may be a faulty router, a dodgy filter or the connection you're on may be overwhelmed, in which case, they'll move you!

I've been with BT and talk talk, both were poopy cack compared to sky.

Green grass, other side? Sadly not, grass is the same alllll over.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bypass wireless and plug your laptop directly into the router , do you still have the same issue? also call BT and ask them to check the line for you.

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have spoken to them and they are quite evasive about sorting it until I threaten to leave, shame as I've always had good service from them

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We had to change from Virgin as they weren't in our area when we moved, ended up going with Sky as we got a decent deal with TV etc. the Internet was barely usable with the connection constantly dropping and speeds of around 0.3mbs. BT blamed Sky whilst Sky blamed BT and we just went round and round in circles.

Anyway, left Sky and got BT Infinity installed and haven't looked back. Connection is stable 99% of the time and we get speeds of 40mbs so all happy!

Shakey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I work in advertising, and used to be at an agency that had Sky as an account.

About 10 years ago we held a focus group, where they got together Sky customers (past and present) to chat about what they thought of the Sky service, brand etc.

A few of us from our agency were with the client behind a one-way glass (where you can see and hear them, but they can't see or hear you). The customers were slating Sky; hated the way prices were put up....and the first thing they knew was when they got their bank statement, etc etc. it was hilarious - god knows how I managed to keep a straight face...I was wetting myself with laughter.

Last edited:

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Check the position of your router as it works best connected to main / original phone socket, which older houses is usually the hall or near the door. I doubled my speed by moving router from living room to hall as that was the original phone connection in house. The others had all been added at a later day.

Also easytocheck difference. Move it and check speedtest.net for speed.

No need to waste time on phone until you try it. It may solve some of your problem.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My sky broadband connection keeps cutting out - so frustrating, it's been like this on and off for the last few weeks!

Anyone else have similar problems? I've tried changing the wireless channel, resetting things etc but to no avail!

Sky are crap for broadband and the above is the reason why I switched to Virgin. For the same price I've gone from 2 MB to 28MB which never fails :thup:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm just starting the process of moving from BT to Sky - I do hope that I've made the right decision!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
dropping sync is usually a line issue in my experience, normally there will be errors on the bband causing sync to drop. dial 17070 option 2 for BT (quiet line test), sky you will have to listen to Zoe and go through to fault/noise on the line (opt 4 I think), listen for any crackle or data noise. If no noise then possibly extensions, poor/faulty network and so on & so on

It really is a minefield and needs your SP to book an engineer visit.

One little bit of advice, go with MPF not SMPF meaning one provider for all, if you go BT for phone & sky for bband they will always blame the other. Only if a faulty line test is returned will they then book a fault!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sky are crap for broadband and the above is the reason why I switched to Virgin. For the same price I've gone from 2 MB to 28MB which never fails :thup:

Slight correction to your statement. Sky are as crap as every other copper Broadband provider that has to rely on the massively antiquated and unreliable infrastructure that is the PSTN copper telecoms network of he UK.
Any provider utilising fibre is better before they even start providing a connection. Unfortunately that network comes at a cost hence such poor coverage.

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm just starting the process of moving from BT to Sky - I do hope that I've made the right decision!

To be honest, aside from this minor irritation, I've quite liked the service I've had from sky, much better than comparable lack of service from bt in my opinion!

Holty

Assistant Pro
Visit site
dropping sync is usually a line issue in my experience, normally there will be errors on the bband causing sync to drop. dial 17070 option 2 for BT (quiet line test), sky you will have to listen to Zoe and go through to fault/noise on the line (opt 4 I think), listen for any crackle or data noise. If no noise then possibly extensions, poor/faulty network and so on & so on

It really is a minefield and needs your SP to book an engineer visit.

One little bit of advice, go with MPF not SMPF meaning one provider for all, if you go BT for phone & sky for bband they will always blame the other. Only if a faulty line test is returned will they then book a fault!

Cheers for this - I'll give it a crack!

Stuart_Wales

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As someone said, bypass your router by plugging directly (hard wire). Also, does it cut out on different devices? It could be a laptop or a phone cable rather than your signal; which is probably is mind, being sky!