Single plane - Moe Norman type swing

D

Deleted Member 1156

You said you would give up golf if your swing looked like his, because you like looking at pretty swings. Doesn't make sense unless you're watching your own swing.
I see my own swing on video whenever I have a lesson. It's pretty :love:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see my own swing on video whenever I have a lesson. It's pretty :love:
I am pleased for you. :LOL:

I don't think I've seen a video of my swing for two years. I have no idea what it looks like now. Not bothered really. I only care if it hits the ball properly, which recently it has done more often than before. :p

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Often it's the RIGHT thing to do! As 'protecting itself' often actually CAUSES damage to other areas - those ones that are stressed because of the body's 'abnormal' use of them!
But certainly there are instances where pain killers are detrimental - where the cause is 'normal' use.
Right thing to do is take pain killers ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Right thing to do is take pain killers ?
Yes, it CAN be! That way movement can be 'normal' - especially when there's an anti-inflammatory involved. That way the body acts 'naturally' - so doesn't put stress on other parts from the 'protection itself' compensation you mentioned earlier. There are, of course, other times when using pain-killers is a bad thing! I would, however, never encourage the use of cortisone, which, imo, is a 'tissue-killer' not a 'pain-killer'!

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
There is a lot of info re Moe Normans swing on YouTube under "Graves golf "
He teaches it and goes into a lot of detail, and I imagine there is a lot of interest because of deChambeau.
It's something I am going to try on the range because it's strength appears to be making your strike and ball path consistent. My two plane swing is exactly not that. I hit three good drives, then three crap drives- only because I'm not consistent. There is so much to go wrong, and when 1 component does, then it's awful.
It does not look attractive, as does an Els or Schaufelle swing, but if it keeps me on the fairway.......?
Why not?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is a lot of info re Moe Normans swing on YouTube under "Graves golf "
He teaches it and goes into a lot of detail, and I imagine there is a lot of interest because of deChambeau.
It's something I am going to try on the range because it's strength appears to be making your strike and ball path consistent. My two plane swing is exactly not that. I hit three good drives, then three crap drives- only because I'm not consistent. There is so much to go wrong, and when 1 component does, then it's awful.
It does not look attractive, as does an Els or Schaufelle swing, but if it keeps me on the fairway.......?
Why not?
I downloaded his book, as I have decided to give this a proper go. As stated at the beginning I was trying to get the swing at the range.
It won’t be quick, but it’s not learning the game from scratch and the key position is set up as this is where your trying to return to.. which you will and how good or the shape of the shot is depending on how far away you are.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Just come back from the range, where the first hits are encouraging.
Almost all were straight, 7 iron to driver, and distance was pretty much equal.
Think I can squeeze a bit more of that from it, but, as you say, get the set up right and it seems ok.
I will definitely work on it.

Mind you, the range is always quite good , isn't it. . It's when you get on the course?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally I believe in the merits of this swing for 2 reasons.
Firstly, and probably the most influential factor is DeChambeau's background. As he graduated from university in Physics this speaks volumes for the science behind the theory.
Secondly, he's winning and playing well on tour therefore this is proof that it works.
My only concern with distance learning, i.e. reading books and even watching videos is that it can be prone to misinterpretations. I'm certainly guilty in this regards

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just come back from the range, where the first hits are encouraging.
Almost all were straight, 7 iron to driver, and distance was pretty much equal.
Think I can squeeze a bit more of that from it, but, as you say, get the set up right and it seems ok.
I will definitely work on it.

Mind you, the range is always quite good , isn't it. . It's when you get on the course?
Just get it grooved at the range, and play at the golf course.. follow the routine and get it done, swing thoughts should be positive if not at all... my best rounds have been complete memory blanks

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There is a lot of info re Moe Normans swing on YouTube under "Graves golf "My two plane swing is exactly not that. I hit three good drives, then three crap drives- only because I'm not consistent. There is so much to go wrong, and when 1 component does, then it's awful.
Why not?

I am very much in the same boat, I have (apparently) a very good looking swing however the consistency of strike is just not....consistent. I would happily swap to a less good looking swing that keeps me on the cut stuff more often than not. Have a range session booked tomorrow so (having watched a number of the Graves Golf vids) will have a go and see if their is any noticeable improvement.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So finally home in the U.K., but having to do isolation for 14 days. So went into the garage, saw the wife had parked the car a little too far away from the wall. Sadly the battery was flat, so it’s now on charge. Picked up my 9 iron, mp20 with a recoil shaft and thick grips.. gave it a swing and set up like a single plane. Feels powerful and quick... just wish I could get to the range ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is this the same for irons?
Yes but a narrower stance, and ball is around 5” from your lead heal .. if you look for Graves video on iron set up he shows you more.
But get it right and the 5 iron goes like a rocket, get it wrong and the neighbours have your balls in their garden! I was toeing it off right but I was fiddling with wrist height .. so i need time to work it out.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watch also how far you take the club back as the start point .. longer clubs seem to behave better if you have a larger gap. Also you can change the height, by ball placement.. further forward gets lower and further to the centre to go higher.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hit some real golf balls off turf today, into a net so shape hard to comment on, but I think it’s working as the shots feel and sound right.
I wasn’t brave enough to use my current driver just in case I gave it a sky mark. But I started low on the face, pink castle tee just not high enough, so went to the ball a third over the head... straight out the middle no adjustments left or right then proceeded to just hit them in the same spot... fingers crossed that was a straight ball flight ?