Single plane - Moe Norman type swing

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I have been watching Bryson D, I am finding all of this really interesting might be the engineer in me. So I was googling about watched a few videos and him talking about repeatable swing mechanics and simplification. This brought me to a guy called Todd Graves. He had done a video where he had likened the Bryson swing to Moe Norman, he said close but not exact but philosophy was the same. So all week I have been watching these videos, doing a few swings etc..
Today I got to the driving range, I started normally with an 8 iron, I hit that quite well, it goes pretty much where I intend. Than I started to try and get my self into the position laid out by Todd Graves. This was okay, ball as doing the same thing. So then I challenged myself, took out this 5 iron ( this the ping EI set) and started to strike it, the flight was better, it was straight, it was high and it was pretty repetitive. With a normal swing I am not getting much repetition with the 5 iron and it’s not really further than my 6 iron and 10 yards away from my 7 iron ... making me think it’s just ballast in my golf bag. I don’t know how far it was going because my bays shot tracer was down. But the flag in front of me I think was around 180 yards, and it was flying to there when I struck it cleanly. It was quite positive I think I will persist.
The driver was difficult, I am not a sprayer, but I started off and I sprayed everywhere I topped as well.. so I went to normal set up and hit that poorly as well. So I took a step back had a little break and think about it. Then stepped up normal set up and hit a nice straight shot out there. I did that again. Then I went back to the one plane set up. It took some time and actually highlighted some dirty little hand habits, but when I got my head round it I hit some great shots. So if I could just find the settings I think this could be the future, my back and lower leg muscles are fine..no aching. I went out and played the par 3 course afterwards shooting a respectable 26.

is there any one on here following this ? Any experience you can share?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think I would rather give up golf than swing like BdC, it's so robotic I find it painful to watch.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still don't understand the difference between one plane and two plane. The way I see it, everyone swings differently with their own nuances, I just don't see how you can broadly categorise them into one or the other. It confuses me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One plane refers to swinging around the same angle that the shaft is on at address. Also references the lead arm angle in relation to the shoulders.
You're probably close to this.

Two plane is what most players do, ie turn and lift.

Most of us on here have more planes than Heathrow. ✈ ?
Ha, when I saw you'd replied I was going to ask which one you thought I was because I haven't the foggiest. I've heard the explanations before but I still don't really understand it. Can you really reduce all the golf swings in the world to just two distinct groups? I have always tried to keep my swing as simple as possible, with the logic being that less can go wrong (not always proven true of course). So if I am closer to one plane it's probably only because I keep the backswing short and simple.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ha, when I saw you'd replied I was going to ask which one you thought I was because I haven't the foggiest. I've heard the explanations before but I still don't really understand it. Can you really reduce all the golf swings in the world to just two distinct groups? I have always tried to keep my swing as simple as possible, with the logic being that less can go wrong (not always proven true of course). So if I am closer to one plane it's probably only because I keep the backswing short and simple.
Watch the video, it’s the wrist articulation at address

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Really interesting video, makes complete sense as well.
Although not a pretty swing (BDC), it gets the job done for him.
I wonder if he’s lost flexibility due to the extra muscle and that’s why it works even more for him?
If everyone was the same it would be a boring world.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really interesting video, makes complete sense as well.
Although not a pretty swing (BDC), it gets the job done for him.
I wonder if he’s lost flexibility due to the extra muscle and that’s why it works even more for him?
If everyone was the same it would be a boring world.
Bryson, isn’t the first tour pro to have gone and muscled up. I think Johnny Miller did, and came back not as good. I think this is interesting because he has minimised complexity and that is what Moe Norman did. So watching all of this occur is really interesting it could be a pivotal point in the game’s history

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Horrible looking but everything he said makes complete sense. I would imagine most golf pros would look at that setup and try to change it, particularly as it looks like he is reaching for the club.
Yeah but he is basically pre setting an impact position.. so your body has to find a way of getting there. Hence all of this funny movement in the “beautiful swing” .. you see beauty is in the eye of the beholder and reality is, it is struggling to get to a more natural position. They talk about the back and the damage, now, how much of this is true I don’t know, but I do know that my back is okay after yesterday and I do know that yoga helps me with a conventional swing ( I just haven’t done it a long while!). But if your body is in pain, it naturally tries to protect itself, you can trick it with pain killers but that isn’t a great thing to do. So if you can have a golf swing that sacrifices no distance and is straigh-ish ( don’t get me wrong here you can still hit some pretty wayward stuff if you haven’t practiced!) and doesn’t cause you any discomfort but allows you to enjoy the game then, I’ll have a bit of that all day long ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

That’s fair enough, art is pretty but doesn’t do anything more than hide marks on the wall ...
Scorecard doesn't paint pictures
I'll take his swing, or Trevino's or Furyk's. Nice to have a pretty swing, better to have an effective one.
I'm certainly not denying the effectiveness of his swing and if my living depended on it I would probably do the same. But as a club golfer playing for fun I prefer to watch swings that are flowing, natural and creative rather than robotic. Is BdC hitting the ball very straight? Does his swing allow him to shape the ball when required?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...But if your body is in pain, it naturally tries to protect itself, you can trick it with pain killers but that isn’t a great thing to do...
Often it's the RIGHT thing to do! As 'protecting itself' often actually CAUSES damage to other areas - those ones that are stressed because of the body's 'abnormal' use of them!
But certainly there are instances where pain killers are detrimental - where the cause is 'normal' use.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm certainly not denying the effectiveness of his swing and if my living depended on it I would probably do the same. But as a club golfer playing for fun I prefer to watch swings that are flowing, natural and creative rather than robotic. Is BdC hitting the ball very straight? Does his swing allow him to shape the ball when required?
How often are you watching your own swing??