Simple Question Regarding Cancelled Golf Break

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Booked through Your Golf Travel, 3 night break to Portugal cancelled this week, are we legally entitled to a refund?

Yes or No?

D

Deleted member 1147

Who cancelled, you or them?
Is it in government orders, ie borders closed?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Did you receive an ATOL certificate when you booked? If so, then I believe you are covered and should get a full refund.

Yes, it states:

"You are protected from when you were given this certificate to the end of your trip. If stops trading, the passengers named above will either: 1. take and complete their trip; or 2. receive a refund. "

But they have not gone bust and are still trading!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My wife was due to spend a couple of nights in Benidorm at the weekend. (Sat & Sun). She cancelled herself as the lockdown was about to kick in - she had paid half the fee for the hotel.

The booking agent have refunded the balance this morning at their own discretion.

I suspect you will get your money back, or an offer of an alternative trip, but it might take time to process.
Please remember the travel industry will be crippled by this virus, and businesses will go under. If people are willing to defer their travel until a later date, that will be of huge help to all these companies - and remember, there is a knock on effect even down to the ladies that clean your appartments or the greenkeepers on the course.

Diamond

Visit site
I was going the Euros in Spain (Bilbao), UEFA have cancelled. They will offer full refund on the tickets. I have my deposit back from the AirBnB and Hertz hire car are refunding.
The only ones that wont refund is Easyjet £624 for 2 people return. However I have premium single trip travel insurance and made my claim this morning. Based on the fact the attraction (EUROS) I was attending has been cancelled hopefully the insurance company will cover the cost of the flights.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
My wife was due to spend a couple of nights in Benidorm at the weekend. (Sat & Sun). She cancelled herself as the lockdown was about to kick in - she had paid half the fee for the hotel.

The booking agent have refunded the balance this morning at their own discretion.

I suspect you will get your money back, or an offer of an alternative trip, but it might take time to process.
Please remember the travel industry will be crippled by this virus, and businesses will go under. If people are willing to defer their travel until a later date, that will be of huge help to all these companies - and remember, there is a knock on effect even down to the ladies that clean your appartments or the greenkeepers on the course.

The lad who has sorted the trip has spoken to them 4 times and they are refusing to give a refund, each time saying the best they can do is offer a credit note. That's fine, but not if it's against the law!
He's just copied me in to an email he's sent them with all the evidence he's gathered from the Web saying how a refund should be offered if the alternative trip is not suitable and a credit note is not acceptable.

***** Part of this reply or comment has had to be deleted *****

I appreciate things are going to be difficult for them but I cannot afford to be £700 out of pocket!

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The lad who has sorted the trip has spoken to them 4 times and they are refusing to give a refund, each time saying the best they can do is offer a credit note. That's fine, but not if it's against the law!
He's just copied me in to an email he's sent them with all the evidence he's gathered from the Web saying how a refund should be offered if the alternative trip is not suitable and a credit note is not acceptable.

Just got to wait to see what they say, if it's another "No refund" then I'll be ringing them myself and never using YGT again.

I appreciate things are going to be difficult for them but I cannot afford to be £700 out of pocket!

There's a good chance you might not have the option of using them again. Fair enough though, I don't know about your legal standpoint, but if you don't want to re-arrange the trip and they are obliged to refund, then they should.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Generally I would never accept a credit note for any transaction as I believe this can change your consumer rights. Also bare in mind your rights if you paid by credit card as you can usually claim from them if you dont get what you paid for

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Generally I would never accept a credit note for any transaction as I believe this can change your consumer rights. Also bare in mind your rights if you paid by credit card as you can usually claim from them if you dont get what you paid for

Unfortunately the guy organising paid on his debit card!

D

Deleted member 1740

Unfortunately the guy organising paid on his debit card!

I suggest he speaks to his bank, I'm certain( could be wrong but I never have been?) there was change a while back where payments via DC are protected the same way as CC.

As cash transactions are becoming rare DC should be protected.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I suggest he speaks to his bank, I'm certain( could be wrong but I never have been?) there was change a while back where payments via DC are protected the same way as CC.

As cash transactions are becoming rare DC should be protected.

Unfortunately s75 protection is only available on credit.

D

Deleted member 1740

Unfortunately s75 protection is only available on credit.

I'm pretty sure banks can do a chargeback and other stuff, it's down to the type of current account iirc.

If nothing can be done then this needs to be looked at moving forward as we're becoming predominantly a cashless society.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Credit notes are a dangerous way to go as if things go really bad the company may go bust.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Credit notes are a dangerous way to go as if things go really bad the company may go bust.
Yep, I would be wary of credit notes. Companies like this are going to struggle massively over the next few months and that credit note may prove useless.

peld

Visit site
Abta is in the event a company goes bust, not in the cases we have.
Crucially, did you book the jet2 flights separately from the YGT holiday?
if so use your insurance. Portugal is still open so it isn’t really their issue yet. It’s like when you miss a flight connection but it wasn’t on the same ticket so you still lose part of your journey.

I’d accept their offer of a reschedule as they are being fair.