Silloth on Solway Open Comps

• Thread starter Deleted member 3432
  • Start date

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just a heads up that Silloth Open comps which have all been Cancelled since the start of Covid will be running again in 2022.

I believe the entries go live on 10th Jan on club website.

Great opportunity to play one of the UK's finest cheaply and you never know, it might not be blowing a hoolie ??

Hi Ian...had a look, spoken to some of our lot, very interested-BUT £70 per pair for the doubles + petrol/food/mementoes/accomodation??
£40-o.k....but £70??....Must be some prize list:LOL:

D

Deleted member 3432

Hi Ian...had a look, spoken to some of our lot, very interested-BUT £70 per pair for the doubles + petrol/food/mementoes/accomodation??

No idea what prizes are on offer, my handicap is a touch too low to make playing worthwhile :ROFLMAO:

£35 each to play a top 100 course is extremely good value I think, and half the cost of visitor green fee. The course is going to be in great shape next year with the Carris Trophy being played here in July, greenstaff are beavering away, currently revetting many of the bunkers and relaying some paths.

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely not complaining about £35 each for a open comp ? Even more so when the green fee for a visitor is about £80 ?!

It’s superb value to play an excellent course

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Anyone who plays an Open with the primary aim of winning a prize (in the current post WHS climate) must be one of reprobates causing the current climate!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not sure which I can get to, as yet, but the Senior Open in August at £25 is a steal. (yes, I am that old!) But £35 a round for Silloth in May or July is plain daft! You could pay double that and walk off happy! My usual PPs at Newport won't travel for that ...fools... @evemccc How's your diary? :)

Although, why is the Ladies event less than half the price of the mens'?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Anyone who plays an Open with the primary aim of winning a prize (in the current post WHS climate) must be one of reprobates causing the current climate!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not sure which I can get to, as yet, but the Senior Open in August at £25 is a steal. (yes, I am that old!) But £35 a round for Silloth in May or July is plain daft! You could pay double that and walk off happy! My usual PPs at Newport won't travel for that ...fools... @evemccc How's your diary? :)

Prize fund usually half! ??

D

Deleted member 23270

6.5 hrs by car. An open week maybe but not for 1 event.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well I guess that's me told off for coming across as a miserable old barsteward:oops:
Suppose it's no mitigation to say we would also be looking at a practise/get to know the course round as well, to add that into total cost??-No, didn't think so:oops::p
I know how good the place is (but the riffraff I'd be bringing haven't been before) having played it years ago, so a refresher round would be wise, don't you think?
PLUS there's the COVID question to consider as well!....Spoke to one of the cousins who are in health care in Workington and Carlisle, they were a bit on the 'iffy' side about where we'll be travel wise!
Might wind up coming down 'on my todd' Ian-will be in touch either way ( especially if they want to splash the cash);)

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I guess that's me told off for coming across as a miserable old barsteward:oops:
Suppose it's no mitigation to say we would also be looking at a practise/get to know the course round as well, to add that into total cost??-No, didn't think so:oops::p
I know how good the place is (but the riffraff I'd be bringing haven't been before) having played it years ago, so a refresher round would be wise, don't you think?
PLUS there's the COVID question to consider as well!....Spoke to one of the cousins who are in health care in Workington and Carlisle, they were a bit on the 'iffy' side about where we'll be travel wise!
Might wind up coming down 'on my todd' Ian-will be in touch either way ( especially if they want to splash the cash);)

Got to love a cousin in healthcare!! What a load of old tosh!

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got to love a cousin in healthcare!! What a load of old tosh!
Didn't realise you were an expert in the field?
What's your speciality again?
They've both had Covid, so can understand the cautious approach
Back on the Silloth open subject-one of the riffraff has called to say negociated(?) deal with his better half that will see him painting his house insides before being allowed across the border-needless to say that he's agreed:giggle:

evemccc

Visit site

V tempted…
I’ll be on my way back from the Tassie in Carnoustie about then so possible

I’ll let you know in a few days. But if you get someone else before I commit then that’s fair enough

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

At my club the ladies section decide what to charge, what to give in prizes and we keep the balance, obviously I cannot speak for other clubs

Boomy

Visit site

You’re a tough one to please… grumbling at £35pp to play a fantastic course annnnnd expecting a cousin to have a crystal ball about Covid travel next year ? Get it booked man (on the 10th when it opens) you’ll have a cracking trip, play a fantastic course and who knows what the situation will be by then ??‍♂️??‍♂️

HeftyHacker

Visit site

To be fair you could arrive the day before and if its midweek it was £65 this year for a day ticket. Fantastic value for as many holes as you can play around there.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You’re a tough one to please… grumbling at £35pp to play a fantastic course annnnnd expecting a cousin to have a crystal ball about Covid travel next year ? Get it booked man (on the 10th when it opens) you’ll have a cracking trip, play a fantastic course and who knows what the situation will be by then ??‍♂️??‍♂️
Where did I say 'I' was grumbling??-I know how good/hard the course is, having played (and others on that stretch of coast)-It's worth it for the 'fish n chips' alone!!
It's the other 3/5 who I've spoken to about Silloth who are doing the grumbling (so used to paying a Tenner you see):rolleyes:
Will be working on them to go-one has already been turned(allowed/blackmailed by MRS)
As for the COVID situation, then it will be what it will be.....Still waiting for Professor SammmeBee to explain why he's such an expert in Pandemics and can see into the future-sounds like a talented guy-wonder if he's going??.......................Maybe knows his scoring:whistle: (and position for a prize):giggle:?

Boomy

Visit site

A fine example of grumbling right there from your good self ?
Jokes aside, hopefully you’ll be able to get a group together to play, you can split the fuel then and enjoy the challenge with friends.
Fingers crossed CV19 won’t be impacting any plans ?? (But who knows, we could be getting a daily booster by then!)