Silloth on Solway & an Albatross!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Agreed, do the comparison in January when an inland course is mucky and the links doesn't even need preferred lies!

Wish Silloth wasn't so "out of the way" would go there far more often! When we had the Forum Meet there, is was so cold, even the Geordies had woolly hats on!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I didn't mean in that manner:oops:, I was more referring to grass coverage being equal/good/consistent, divots being repaired, semi-rough being consistent and rough being consistent, not having 'tuffy' lumps of grass. I understand that the underlining soil conditions mean it can not be a lot fo the time, just like parkland in winter doesn't drain as well as sand based.

But surely the rating should be based on the course and therefore it is course against course, otherwise you would just ignore the muddy conditions of parkland in winter as it is the underlining soil conditions that causes that.
it was more a reply to the best course conditions you played were two parkland courses, in reality Links courses on the who are never going to be as lush and well manicured as as parkland Even the very top courses, like Muirfield and St Andrews, with unlimited cash and Green keeping staff still can be scabby in parts.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Agreed, do the comparison in January when an inland course is mucky and the links doesn't even need preferred lies!

Wish Silloth wasn't so "out of the way" would go there far more often! When we had the Forum Meet there, is was so cold, even the Geordies had woolly hats on!
I'm not sure its that far out the way.... Look at Dornoch... now thats out the way... no 7 in the GM list and in the top 10 in the world

dronfield

Visit site
Hi

Played Silloth a couple of times over the years en route to golf breaks in the Lake District - wonderful course.

Really enjoy links golf as a change from playing parkland all year - is my favourite form of the game, and i wish i lived near to/ was a member of a links course.

Rich

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's all relative! And I've still got to get myself up to your neck of the woods!

my point was people are saying Siloth isn't as highly rated as it should be due to location, but Dornoch is even further out of the way and higher rated

Must get myself down there... buts its a bit out the way:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 3432

my point was people are saying Siloth isn't as highly rated as it should be due to location, but Dornoch is even further out of the way and higher rated

Must get myself down there... buts its a bit out the way:ROFLMAO:

I will collect you at Carlisle train station ;)

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Silloth on Friday, wow! What an incredible course. If it was in Merseyside it would be ranked even higher than it already is.

Was lucky enough to get joined up with the head pro from Formby, Andy. Really nice guy. Who also had an albatross on the 17th. The first and probably last I’ll ever see. Mental

Is incredibly good fun.

Am working up here for the foreseeable, hopefully will still be here next summer so can get a few rounds in after work.

Going to play a few @ Maryport tomorrow if the weather holds