Removing an adapter

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I watched a few videos, looked at the technique and listened to what not to do.
Then got my shaft with the Mizuno adapter on .. was thinking that this was disposable but it survived my technique except the small rubber o ring or seal which caught fire.
So I put the screw in the adapter and thought I’ll pull on that. In the end this was not necessary.
I just heated up the adapter in the gas ring keeping the shaft away from the heat. Rotating the shaft to expose the adapter to an even heat.
It took probably 40ish seconds. Got my pliers on the end, held the shaft still and without twisting pulled the adapter off.
shaft looks perfect.
So in the end a nice and simple job. I’ll give it a little light rub down with ultra fine paper and some solvent before popping on the new callaway adapter.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Had a shaft snap off after I had that done by a clubfitter. Fortunately it was a Matrix shaft with a long stiff tip. Got the tip trimmed, extended the butt end & it played exactly the same, no stiffer. Clubfitter reckoned that the heat had got to the shaft despite his best efforts. Good luck!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah checked the shaft for de-lamination and it’s fine - no flaking or loose wraps so will be good to go.
The next job is to install the new adapter properly.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a clothes steamer to heat the glued area. Never had any issues reusing a shaft after refitting:)

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a clohes steamer to heat the glued area. Never had any issues reusing a shaft after refitting:)
That sounds like a good technique! How long does it take ?

I suppose all we are interested in is a low melting point glue in the adapter so as to minimise opportunity to de lam the shaft.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That sounds like a good technique! How long does it take ?

I suppose all we are interested in is a low melting point glue in the adapter so as to minimise opportunity to de lam the shaft.
Not that long, a few minutes perhaps. The reason why I use it is because the steam cannot damage the shaft finish.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And a pair of pliers and a screw don't do that. Hence why I have a shaft extractor set up in my shed.
They offer up the potential to twist, but if you know what your doing and the consequences then it’s not impossible.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would never trust a shaft that has had the adaptor removed without the use of a shaft extractor.

It's easy to see if the shaft has delaminated after the adapter has been removed. I removed a couple of Callaway adapters recently and they hardly needed any heat anyway. As said the important thing is to pull and not twist, easy to do with the right implement ( I use wire strippers which grip both sides simultaneously ).

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's easy to see if the shaft has delaminated after the adapter has been removed. I removed a couple of Callaway adapters recently and they hardly needed any heat anyway. As said the important thing is to pull and not twist, easy to do with the right implement ( I use wire strippers which grip both sides simultaneously ).
I like that idea, can you post a pic, I have wire strippers but they were really for when I was making computers

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

As I said. I would never trust any shaft that has not been pulled properly. The fact that people butcher shafts in this method justifies me never buying a second hand/used shaft.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I watched a few videos, looked at the technique and listened to what not to do.
Then got my shaft with the Mizuno adapter on .. was thinking that this was disposable but it survived my technique except the small rubber o ring or seal which caught fire.
So I put the screw in the adapter and thought I’ll pull on that. In the end this was not necessary.
I just heated up the adapter in the gas ring keeping the shaft away from the heat. Rotating the shaft to expose the adapter to an even heat.
It took probably 40ish seconds. Got my pliers on the end, held the shaft still and without twisting pulled the adapter off.
shaft looks perfect.
So in the end a nice and simple job. I’ll give it a little light rub down with ultra fine paper and some solvent before popping on the new callaway adapter.
Don’t forget you may need to drill the glue out of the end, if you don’t the air can get trapped and the adapter won’t go on properly.
I always drill a small hole for the excess glue to go up the shaft.
When dry check it for rattles if any old glue has gone down the shaft.
If yes you will have to take the grip off to remove it .

I use a shaft grip rubber in my workmate put it in so the bolt is only just sticking out and heat it then a gentle pull with a claw hammer nail remover comes off easy no twisting.

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t forget you may need to drill the glue out of the end, if you don’t the air can get trapped and the adapter won’t go on properly.
I always drill a small hole for the excess glue to go up the shaft.
When dry check it for rattles if any old glue has gone down the shaft.
If yes you will have to take the grip off to remove it .

I use a shaft grip rubber in my workmate put it in so the bolt is only just sticking out and heat it then a gentle pull with a claw hammer nail remover comes off easy no twisting.

Good call, I'll double check the shaft looks hollow at the moment but it might be slightly further in ..