Signed for score on a hole which is too high

D-S

Visit site
I understand that if you accidentally sign for a score on a hole that is higher than the actual score, then the score you have signed for is what counts in the competition. However which Score should be used for handicap purposes - the incorrect higher one or the lower correct one? If it is the lower one can you point me towards the CONGU or WHS rule.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I understand that if you accidentally sign for a score on a hole that is higher than the actual score, then the score you have signed for is what counts in the competition. However which Score should be used for handicap purposes - the incorrect higher one or the lower correct one? If it is the lower one can you point me towards the CONGU or WHS rule.
In the absence of any mention in the WHS manual, the Rule of Golf 3.3b(3) applies.
  • Returned Score Higher Than Actual Score. The higher returned score for the hole stands.

D-S

Visit site
In the absence of any mention in the WHS manual, the Rule of Golf 3.3b(3) applies.
  • Returned Score Higher Than Actual Score. The higher returned score for the hole stands.
So for handicapping purposes, the higher score also stands?

wjemather

Visit site
While there is nothing explicit, I would expect the actual score made must be posted to WHS, which would be consistent with other rules and guidance (e.g. some disqualified scores, when corrected to the actual score, are acceptable for handicap purposes).

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have thought note to appendix J covered it

Note 1
As a general principle, if a score would have been acceptable under Stableford or Maximum Score conditions it should, whenever possible, be acceptable for handicap purposes in Stroke Play following adjustment for any hole where the player has either failed .....to produce a score that satisfied the Rules of Golf.

D-S

Visit site
Thanks for these - however they seem a bit tenuous (for example this isn’t a ’disqualified score’). Isn’t there something a bit more concrete? Oblique references are difficult to communicate to players involved in such issues.Was there something in previous, pre WHS, advice?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for these - however they seem a bit tenuous (for example this isn’t a ’disqualified score’). Isn’t there something a bit more concrete? Oblique references are difficult to communicate to players involved in such issues.Was there something in previous, pre WHS, advice?
3.3b(3) is hardly tenuous or oblique. It is very specific. WHS demands that play must accord to the Rules of Golf.
Whilst DQable scores are corrected this is not a DQable offence.

D-S

Visit site
3.3b(3) is hardly tenuous or oblique. It is very specific. WHS demands that play must accord to the Rules of Golf.
Whilst DQable scores are corrected this is not a DQable offence.
I agree that in the rules of golf the score stands that is clear, but this does not answer my question whether the actual, not recorded, score stands for handicapping purposes? and if so where is this stated in WHS or CONGU.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Under the rules of golf, if you sign for a higher score than was actually taken on a hole, then the higher score is what you scored. I can't see why it should not be the score used for handicapping. After all, the difference is just the penalty for being an idiot - in the same way that, say, 2 shots is the penalty for having an extra club in the bag?

D-S

Visit site
We are all agreed that the higher score is the one accepted in the Rules of Golf as per 3.3 b (3)

As there is no specific reference in WHS or CONGU, I now believe that the higher recorded score (not the lower actual score) is the score to be used for handicapping purposes and no adjustment should be made.

Do we all agree?

wjemather

Visit site
We are all agreed that the higher score is the one accepted in the Rules of Golf as per 3.3 b (3)

As there is no specific reference in WHS or CONGU, I now believe that the higher recorded score (not the lower actual score) is the score to be used for handicapping purposes and no adjustment should be made.

Do we all agree?
We agree that the scenario does not appear to be covered (explicitly) by either the RoH or CONGU's guidance, but we are not in a position to decide what should actually happen and clarification should be sought from the unions.

Ultimately, it happens (or gets discovered) so infrequently that the effect of a single stroke is not going to adversely affect the integrity of the system either way.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Do we all agree?

I'm afraid I don't agree. We are now in the situation where there are two separate functions - ISVs for competitions, and WHS for handicaps. I had such a situation last week. The player input a hole score which was higher than scored and he advised me in a text message. On the competition software, his higher score stood, but I amended it to the lower figure on the WHS platform.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Do we all agree?
I do and would be surprised if EG rule otherwise.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I asked:
If a player records a score on a hole higher than he actually took the RoG say that the recorded score should be used for the competition. Is this also the situation in the WHS? ie the score on the card is used in the handicap calculations.

EG responded
Yes that is correct its only adjusted if they recorded a lower score.

D-S

Visit site
I asked:
If a player records a score on a hole higher than he actually took the RoG say that the recorded score should be used for the competition. Is this also the situation in the WHS? ie the score on the card is used in the handicap calculations.

EG responded
Yes that is correct its only adjusted if they recorded a lower score.
Thank you - seems clear now.