Should WE show handicaps here?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I enjoy reading posts and comments but I was wondering if we should put our actual handicaps at the bottom of our threads in the signature section.

This would give us an insight as to whether someone with 3 birdies in a round is a lifetime best if they are off 20 or an average round for say someone off 6?

Just another madandra thought. I am going to do mine now.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
8.6 this morning. 8.7 after the medal this afternoon.

I had a 10 on my card. Do I have your permission to cry now? Just to add insult to injury, after NR-ing on the 16th, God let me get a birdie 2 on the 17th, then reach the 543 yard 18th in 2 against the wind .....and made me 3 putt!

It's the greatest game in the world.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
And anyway, it's more like mine's smaller than yours!

It's like asking someone what they do for a living. Personally, I haven't asked that question in 5 years but I'll bet you have.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry. That sounded really arsey. The point I was trying to make is that we all make judgements.. deliberate or not... according to what a person does for a living/what their handicap is, etc.

I don't ask what anyone does for a living because I like to judge the person first. However, I do like to know what their handicap is when I may be taking advice from them on golfing matters. It's like asking a plumber how much my house is worth or what I should do about my pension plan.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have seen some really dodgy swings on some quite low handicap golfers, and wouldn't take advise from any of them based on the fact that they have a lower handicap than me.

I doubt there will be many high handicaps here offering swing advise, and anyway, if it is right, does it matter who it came from, and as a better golfer, you should recognise if it is wrong.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good point, murph. But I didn't only mean swing advice. Say someone on the forum recommends or denegrates a course, for example. It might suit a single figure golfer but cause nightmares for a 24 handicapper, say. It's sometimes useful to know where their opinion is coming from.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Scratch!

... until I play three rounds ...

OOhh that sounds good.

I always said a whole number 9, or 10 or 11
not 10.4356 x pi/3.1415

am I wrong????

Soon to be 16 or something more horrible......

Dave

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed, Dave. We all usually say a single number (9,10, 11 etc) but when it's on the cusp it's nice to think that you're lower than you are. I hate saying I'm off 9 (although it took me long enough to get there) when I was off 8 until recently. It's like admitting you're getting worse.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I doubt there will be many high handicaps here offering swing advise, and anyway, if it is right, does it matter who it came from, and as a better golfer, you should recognise if it is wrong.

I have a pal who plays off 20 and he is the best person I have ever met who can tell me where I am going wrong in my swing.

Another reason I suggested it was to see people's handicaps coming down as they improve with age.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good advice can come from anywhere. I can spot bad things in a swing a mile off.....from years of reading and being coached with video help. What is less easy for amateurs (those not trained to coach) is the small stuff and knowing the best methods to cure the ailment.
I've read lots of books from ben hogan to leadbetter and tiger woods. What's interesting is how most describe the attributes of a good swing, but little advice on hitting the darn thing straight. David Leadbetter's Faults and Fixes had some good advice for common issues. I'll happily take advice from a less good player in two situations.
1) he/she watches me swing and spots something obvious ("dave, you numpty, you were aligned exactly where you hit it, so don't complain that you pushed it!") or
2) they have had coaching for a killer problem and say "oohh...I was doing that and tried this"
I don't expect to see 2,3,4 over rounds ever again, so I'm not exactly great, but I won't hold back advice if I can spot a disaster ready to get worse!!!
Dave