Should those in the public eye resign for breaking lockdown rules?

Wolf

Visit site
Has Cummings' statement caused anyone here to change or modify their view either way?
Nope.. As a parent I understand its difficult to sometimes know what to do for the best, but far to many holes in his story and far to many other parents having to abide by the rules except him it seems.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
GSK is based in Brentford. One of their many UK sites is in Barnard Castle.

What else doesn't tell the whole story?

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Has Cummings' statement caused anyone here to change or modify their view either way?

I can understand Cummings instinct to protect his child in those circumstances.

Problem now is he will be recognised as someone who panics under pressure, is capable of breaking the law to suit his circumstances, is capable of putting his wife and family at risk and someone who is not a team player [never was but this doubles up on it]

BTW British Common sense seems to have gone oot the windae at Southend yesterday :(

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
BTW British Common sense seems to have gone oot the windae at Southend yesterday :(
That was very poor but I was pleased to see the BBC also showed beaches in N'Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Whitley Bay in the NE of England and they were largely deserted. Assuming there has been little noise from the National Parks I would hope that people are also avoiding those in numbers as well. The majority are still following the advice, thankfully.

Hackers76

Visit site
I could fully understand someone wanting their children looked after by family and making that journey, not something I would have done but can empathise with him on that. However you then get to the 30 mile drive to test eyesight with the children in that car. Sorry no this is complete nonsense. It just doesn’t make sense to do this.
Never a fan of seeing people lose their jobs for mistakes but if he is found to be lying after this statement then that would make his job untenable And he should be sacked.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well next time I have conjunctivitis I will be ok to have a test drive to see if my eyesight is ok.
If I don’t kill anyone or hit any parked cars that’s a pass.
For a very intelligent man that was a very poor excuse for breaking lockdown rules.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In business you sometimes get a business advisor in when you want an objective opinion on how things can be improved or if you are considering starting new initiatives. The advisor tends to be someone who isnt involved in the day to day operations as this can cloud your view and involve too much detail such that those working in the company. Often it's good to get opinions from people who are able to look at a bigger picture, often referred to as the movers and shakers.

To take your analogy, if you want military advice on how to plan strategy the last person you want to ask is a Soldier as their speciality is in the operations rather than strategy. You would seek the advice of a Milatry advisor who is detached from the day to day operations.

I am not aware of his funding, it probably comes out of the PMs budget and that will eventually be public funded. Most Ministers have political advisors, it's nothing new.
Yes but if the person giving you that advice then goes against it and breaks his own advice.
That would bring that advice into question.
If he is paid by the taxpayer he should be sacked.
That’s the taxpayers that stuck to his advice. Plenty didn’t!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
There’s also some suggestions that he’s been editing his personal blogs from 2019 to make it appear that he had foresight for the coronavirus pandemic. Will be interesting to see if that’s true.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Who are these Cummings supporters in any case? And why are they so wedded to him. Brexit is done. Why the apparent almost desperate need to find any way to excuse his behaviour?

I don't buy the 'he knows too much about Boris to be sacked ' line, as I think we pretty much know everything we might ever want to know about him (though I do wonder why he won't tell us how many children he has - most blokes with fatherly instincts are proud to tell us of their progeny).

I can only conclude that there must be concern amongst Johnsonians and the government that, without Cummings, Johnson will be dreadfully exposed, both in terms of message and delivery, and policy and direction.