Should those in the public eye resign for breaking lockdown rules?

Wolf

Visit site
Did those decrying Cummings vote Remain I wonder.
Why does it to have to come back to that, why can people simply not accept some of us simply don't agree with his reasoning and double standards not whether they're a remain voter.. More petty attempts at point scoring, could simply be many of us have abided by the rules of lockdown even when its not in our own interests but did so anyway.

Edit Kellfire literally just beat me to it ?

Last edited:
Visit site
At last a MP with a bit of integrity well done Donald Ross

I'm far from convinced this was the right thing to do

The personal optics may seem good :unsure: but - assuming such a position is actually useful in the current climate - I would have thought in the bigger picture some continuity in his his role was useful to the Scottish people
There is some irony in the stories that in Pre-Covid times he had previous form for his own travels interfering with government policy :)

Far better numbers from Scotland today - that is far more important than the yo-yo politics we are seeing

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm far from convinced this was the right thing to do

The personal optics may seem good :unsure: but - assuming such a position is actually useful in the current climate - I would have thought in the bigger picture some continuity in his his role was useful to the Scottish people
There is some irony in the stories that in Pre-Covid times he had previous form for his own travels interfering with government policy :)

Far better numbers from Scotland today - that is far more important than the yo-yo politics we are seeing
The problem for the guy, and probably why he resigned, is that he would have to stand in front of constituents, cameras, reporters etc and repeat the script that No 10 have given. If he really does not believe it, gives it no credibility, then he can not do it. They may not 100% believe everything they say in interviews but sometimes it is just a step too far.

At that point he has no option but to resign. I understand where you are coming from but in politics there is always another taxi in the rank to step in and take over.

Visit site
The problem for the guy, and probably why he resigned, is that he would have to stand in front of constituents, cameras, reporters etc and repeat the script that No 10 have given. If he really does not believe it, gives it no credibility, then he can not do it. They may not 100% believe everything they say in interviews but sometimes it is just a step too far.

At that point he has no option but to resign. I understand where you are coming from but in politics there is always another taxi in the rank to step in and take over.

I understand what you say but he didn't have to stand up in front of anyone - few are doing that in day to day politics at the moment
He could have stayed schtoom but chose not to - obviously he is allowed to do that but i just think it was unnecessary - he has another 4 years to demonstrate he is a good MP
To say he had no option is a bit much - he was not personally responsible for any of this - doubt other ministers will be following him (and i doubt the SNP will ever forgive him for being there in the first place so he'll get no sympathy there)

This political advisor stuff is quite easy innit :p
I'm available for a wide range of candidates in both government and corporate political arenas - Forum members may get a discount ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I understand what you say but he didn't have to stand up in front of anyone - few are doing that in day to day politics at the moment
He could have stayed schtoom but chose not to - obviously he is allowed to do that but i just think it was unnecessary - he has another 4 years to demonstrate he is a good MP
To say he had no option is a bit much - he was not personally responsible for any of this - doubt other ministers will be following him (and i doubt the SNP will ever forgive him for being there in the first place so he'll get no sympathy there)

This political advisor stuff is quite easy innit :p
I'm available for a wide range of candidates in both government and corporate political arenas - Forum members may get a discount ;)
In terms of the bit in bold I suspect that is what he thought. I do not know what his plans were, could he have kept his head down or was he due to be at events where he would have had to repeat the given script? If he did and he could not then the system does not leave space for him to remain in govt. That is not my view, it is how it works rightly or wrongly. The govt have clearly gone out in defence of Cummings and once Boris aligned himself so strongly with him then it left any govt members with no wriggle room.

He has gone calmly so that leaves the option to bring him back at a later date, no use for your initial point about continuity during this period however.

What level of discount? :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I could fully understand someone wanting their children looked after by family and making that journey, not something I would have done but can empathise with him on that. However you then get to the 30 mile drive to test eyesight with the children in that car. Sorry no this is complete nonsense. It just doesn’t make sense to do this.
Never a fan of seeing people lose their jobs for mistakes but if he is found to be lying after this statement then that would make his job untenable And he should be sacked.

Maybe it does if it is Mrs Cummings' birthday...

Visit site
In terms of the bit in bold I suspect that is what he thought. I do not know what his plans were, could he have kept his head down or was he due to be at events where he would have had to repeat the given script? If he did and he could not then the system does not leave space for him to remain in govt. That is not my view, it is how it works rightly or wrongly. The govt have clearly gone out in defence of Cummings and once Boris aligned himself so strongly with him then it left any govt members with no wriggle room.

He has gone calmly so that leaves the option to bring him back at a later date, no use for your initial point about continuity during this period however.

What level of discount?:D

oh lets say 20% but the base fee is on a case by case basis
In general, sadly, advising elitist golfing fat-cats on successful electoral strategies is a lot of effort - usually my fees are 50% higher :p:p

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
There’s also some suggestions that he’s been editing his personal blogs from 2019 to make it appear that he had foresight for the coronavirus pandemic. Will be interesting to see if that’s true.
Just seen that, the internet never forgets!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
You would have thought that someone who plans strategy for a living would have had a better plan in place for emergency childcare.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You would have thought that someone who plans strategy for a living would have had a better plan in place for emergency childcare.
Indeed. It also shows how isolated him and his family are that they have no friends nearby who have children themselves who could have helped them out in these troubled times just as loads of people around the country have helped each other out.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Indeed. It also shows how isolated him and his family are that they have no friends nearby who have children themselves who could have helped them out in these troubled times just as loads of people around the country have helped each other out.

He was wrong in what he done, but it’s hard to believe he had no one that could help him in London.
As a parent and me and my wife both worked in London and all our family was up in Scotland, I’m honestly not sure what I’d do in the circumstances, i suppose you would need to be in the position in the first place.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

PaulS

Visit site
It’s a shame all this is probably overshadowing any good news that we should be hearing about

The numbers are going down , hasn’t been a spike from the last bank holiday , shops opening up next month

All I can read about it seems is one idiot