Should those in the public eye resign for breaking lockdown rules?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not convinced millions of people would maybe make such a rash decision, extremely miffed about it yes, but going off half cocked I'm not sure about. You're right though, there will be a portion of people who now will say sod it all, it's interesting to see how this one pans out in relation to public attitude.
I don't think it'll be millions and was just replying in general terms to the post made. I do think there will be some though. Looking at the beaches again today I can see some families deciding that its ok to jump in the car and drive to whatever beach or beauty spot they fancy and simply mingle and not bother with SD. I do however think the large majority will have their own opinions on Cummings behaviour and whether he was right/wrong but whatever they think will do the right thing ongoing regarding social distancing etc

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was replying to Pauldj42.point about the bit in bold- see post 137.
So I wasn't forcing the point.
Also, why do you have to ask me why it was covered up?
You will see from my post that I advocated openness etc by suggesting there should have been a system for folks to ask for permission to leave home in similar circumstances , if they could see no alternative.
So, at the risk of "forcing the point"?, maybe read my post again?
Yes sorry pasted the wrong post.(y)

NearHull

Visit site
Barnard Castle Tourist Board must be delighted with all the advertising
Trip Advisor for Barnard Castle reviews are worth a good read. It has several recommendations concerning opticians, seemingly worth a drive even if you feeling a little peaky. Some other comments about being a good place for visiting snakes but watch out for grasses.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Does anyone think that the millions who have followed the Gvmt advise and has not attended to some very emotional events is now not going to say "fock it....." and do as they wish?
I would wager many are now going to be more likely to ignore what no 10 says and do as they wish.

Think you could be right. I think we've seen a degree of that in the last few weeks with the good weather and easing of some restrictions but I can see why some will be tempted to say "sod it" and it doesn't offer a great example

No, I don't think we will. People with decent moral standards will continue to maintain their decent moral standards & hold the moral high ground over those that don't. Because it's what they do.

And the halfwits alluded to in the second post are already doing it, some time before Cummings' alleged indiscretions were known about. Because it's what they do. It doesn't apply to them, they can do what they want, it won't make any difference so why should they bother, the same standards of behaviour they've adopted for years before Cummings was appointed, and will continue to do long after Cummings has moved on.

There might be some minor shift, but a seismic shift; no, don't think so.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I do hope you're right, but I'm afraid those who were starting to waiver re following the rules now decide to do as they wish and ignore those rules.

I understand your concerns and I may well be wrong, but the halfwits have been ignoring it from day 1 so I can't see it making that much difference.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Just my opinion, but I feel from the press conference I got the opinion that wasn’t an Aragent, aggressive self centred man we have Been led to be belived he was. He has had a rather big dressing down from a v v senior civil servant. He is also a man with a rather large reputation who I feel in the situation he found himself with his wife Ill he literally panicked But he can never admit that as he would then be seen to be weak in the position he holds. Given the circumstances possibly we all would have done the same if possible to protect our families. Does that make it right what he did? Only if you are ever placed in a similar position can you answer that honestly.

D

Deleted member 16999

Just my opinion, but I feel from the press conference I got the opinion that wasn’t an Aragent, aggressive self centred man we have Been led to be belived he was. He has had a rather big dressing down from a v v senior civil servant. He is also a man with a rather large reputation who I feel in the situation he found himself with his wife Ill he literally panicked But he can never admit that as he would then be seen to be weak in the position he holds. Given the circumstances possibly we all would have done the same if possible to protect our families. Does that make it right what he did? Only if you are ever placed in a similar position can you answer that honestly.
To be fair, that’s the impression I got on his decision to initially drive to Durham.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

No we would not. There are many who can sympathise for the difficult position he was put in. A position he was in due to the guidance created by the government he is the chief advisor for. But the difference is that the vast majority who were in similar or even worse situations obeyed the stay at home rule at the time. There are countless examples of people who missed funerals and could not see dying relatives at the same time he was making his trip.

Having sympathy for a position (which I am sure most people do) is different to using that as a reason to ignore, at the very least, the sprit of the guidance when many others were obeying it. That is what people are angry about.