Should those in the public eye resign for breaking lockdown rules?

PaulS

Visit site
Most of that is opinion, you are of course entitled to it but it's not an opinion I agree with and I guess I am also entitled to my opinion also.

I have said a number of times here that if Cummins broke the rules he should be dealt with accordingly just like some MPs who broke the rules.
Of course it’s an opinion ? What else would it be , thought that’s what posting on forums was all about , giving opinions surely ?

And he clearly broke the rules.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you think he gets involved with making any of the detail in the lockdown rules.
That’s part of the problem ,nobody knows what he does advise on.
If you need military advice you ask a soldier.
Need financial advice ask a economist.
What is Cummings field.?
Who pays him? If it’s the tax payer he is accountable for his actions that involve his job.
If it’s Boris he is only accountable to him.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did anyone notice that none of the journalist from the papers which said he had made a second visit to Durham apologised for the misinformation (ie lie)?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Did anyone notice that none of the journalist from the papers which said he had made a second visit to Durham apologised for the misinformation (ie lie)?

They have apologised as much as he did for breaking the guidelines 3 times and driving to Barnard Castle on his wifes birthday to apparently test his eyesight. But I'm sure in some people's minds they are equally as bad. So we should just forget the whole thing.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s part of the problem ,nobody knows what he does advise on.
If you need military advice you ask a soldier.
Need financial advice ask a economist.
What is Cummings field.?
Who pays him? If it’s the tax payer he is accountable for his actions that involve his job.
If it’s Boris he is only accountable to him.
In business you sometimes get a business advisor in when you want an objective opinion on how things can be improved or if you are considering starting new initiatives. The advisor tends to be someone who isnt involved in the day to day operations as this can cloud your view and involve too much detail such that those working in the company. Often it's good to get opinions from people who are able to look at a bigger picture, often referred to as the movers and shakers.

To take your analogy, if you want military advice on how to plan strategy the last person you want to ask is a Soldier as their speciality is in the operations rather than strategy. You would seek the advice of a Milatry advisor who is detached from the day to day operations.

I am not aware of his funding, it probably comes out of the PMs budget and that will eventually be public funded. Most Ministers have political advisors, it's nothing new.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone think that the millions who have followed the Gvmt advise and has not attended to some very emotional events is now not going to say "fock it....." and do as they wish?
I would wager many are now going to be more likely to ignore what no 10 says and do as they wish.

PaulS

Visit site
Did you read the exception regarding young children? As in golf, exceptions are part of the rules.
Which exception allowed him to drive to a Castle with his wife to test his eyesight ?

Also which one allowed him to go to Work when his wife had Covid Symptoms ( should have self isolated )

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Does anyone think that the millions who have followed the Gvmt advise and has not attended to some very emotional events is now not going to say "fock it....." and do as they wish?
I would wager many are now going to be more likely to ignore what no 10 says and do as they wish.

Think you could be right. I think we've seen a degree of that in the last few weeks with the good weather and easing of some restrictions but I can see why some will be tempted to say "sod it" and it doesn't offer a great example

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'm not convinced millions of people would maybe make such a rash decision, extremely miffed about it yes, but going off half cocked I'm not sure about. You're right though, there will be a portion of people who now will say sod it all, it's interesting to see how this one pans out in relation to public attitude.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
They have apologised as much as he did for breaking the guidelines 3 times and driving to Barnard Castle on his wifes birthday to apparently test his eyesight. But I'm sure in some people's minds they are equally as bad. So we should just forget the whole thing.
Cummings' alleged offences could be considered to be mistakes. The newspapers' reports were lies.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
They are already. At least half a dozen of my neighbours had 'garden parties' over the weekend involving up to a dozen guests.
As I write, the house behind me has two additional separate families sitting round a large table.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
They don't live in a flat its a 3 story town house and i believe they also employ a nanny

I didn't know the exact nature of the premises. Or that there was a nanny.
If that is the case, I would want to know from him why he didn't have some aide drive the nanny and child to wherever he was able to get them to stay safe. Not to the grandparents I should hope, but, if the sister was able and willing, then ....why not there.
Bottom line ...... if there is a nanny, problem over. No need for him or wife to go anywhere.

D

Deleted member 16999

What did they say that was a lie?
Neither article told the truth about how and where they were when self isolating and how they coped.

The press made an allegation about the 19th April from information they’d received.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
You have forced your point, we all get it.:eek:

Question I have to ask you is why was it covered up, if he had grounds as Johnson has repeatedly said, why not let everyone know.
What were they afraid of, Johnson must have known of Cummings movements at the end of March. Why did Cummings wife not mention their move in her scribblings
People may have disagreed if the Tory Party had been upfront about it but perhaps they would have understood.:unsure:

I was replying to Pauldj42.point about the bit in bold- see post 137.
So I wasn't forcing the point.
Also, why do you have to ask me why it was covered up?
You will see from my post that I advocated openness etc by suggesting there should have been a system for folks to ask for permission to leave home in similar circumstances , if they could see no alternative.
So, at the risk of "forcing the point"?, maybe read my post again?