Should I upgrade my clubs while I'm still taking lessons?

Loderingo

Visit site
I got my clubs from new about 10 years ago. They are Wilson, I'm guessing aimed at beginners.

I was a complete hacker and then took a few lessons. In retrospect my first coach didn't help me very much as we worked with my existing bad swing.

I completely stopped playing from 2012-2015.

In the last few years, I have been having lessons with a new coach and we have worked together to completely rebuild my swing. I feel this is starting to pay off. My most recent round was 115 (+45), despite carding a 10 and a 9. I will continue to take lessons and would like to get down to 105 by this time next year.

My question is - do you think it is worth upgrading any of my clubs now (I have never even had them regripped) or wait another year? At the moment, I can't hit my 3W or Driver further than my Hybrid (200 yards if I hit straight) so am wondering if it is worth getting a fitting.

Thanks for any advice.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Easiest thing is to ask your Pro what he thinks of your current set for your ability, he might recommend one or two clubs need changing, or leave them all as they are.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Easiest thing is to ask your Pro what he thinks of your current set for your ability, he might recommend one or two clubs need changing, or leave them all as they are.

Wise words.

It is tempting to dive in now but the set you get may need changing again in another few months as you continue to improve. Asking the pro's advice on clubs does not commit you to buying from them, it is just getting their advice.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
10 year od Wilsons sound like Di5s or similar. Great clubs.
If that is the case I do not think you would see any major improvement just by getting new irons.

Wellout

Visit site
A competent clubfitter will understand the changes you're making and fit/build you clubs that will not only allow you to make swing changes more easily, but fit you even better once you swing is in the right place. If your equipment is correctly set up in the first instance, such as shaft weight too heavy (by as little as 5 grams), you will always battle your clubs and no amount of lessons will help you take your swing to the next level. The pro will have no choice but to put a plaster over the underlying issue by trying to get you in a different dynamic position which will only affect other areas of your bag where shaft weight is more suited.

David Lake

www.1irongolf.com
I got my clubs from new about 10 years ago. They are Wilson, I'm guessing aimed at beginners.

I was a complete hacker and then took a few lessons. In retrospect my first coach didn't help me very much as we worked with my existing bad swing.

I completely stopped playing from 2012-2015.

In the last few years, I have been having lessons with a new coach and we have worked together to completely rebuild my swing. I feel this is starting to pay off. My most recent round was 115 (+45), despite carding a 10 and a 9. I will continue to take lessons and would like to get down to 105 by this time next year.

My question is - do you think it is worth upgrading any of my clubs now (I have never even had them regripped) or wait another year? At the moment, I can't hit my 3W or Driver further than my Hybrid (200 yards if I hit straight) so am wondering if it is worth getting a fitting.

Thanks for any advice.

There is no question that if you are considering changing clubs you do it before taking lessons or embarking upon a practice/improvement regimen.