Should bunkers be raked in tournaments?

Should bunkers be raked?

• Total voters

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a tournament it should be a level paying field for all and not just the first player to go in the bunker who has the advantage and the last player who has all the disadvantages.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe in the pro game they should make all bunkers no play areas and have drop zones with a good degree of difficulty if they go in one.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, they should be raked imo. Not fair to those in the last groups and the way players dig their feet in the sand would make it brutal for them.

Id much rather they limit the loft on wedges to 56 degrees to try and make players be more creative and skilled around the greens.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
In the pro game, all bunkers are smoothed over because that’s how the pro’s like them.

I think it’s only Arnold Palmer courses that don’t get smoothed over?

You say bunkers are hazards, but a bunker shots the easiest shot in golf. You don’t have to hit the ball!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The pros do make these shots seem easy but there again, they are spending hours per week working on their technique and playing from different lies. How many on here honestly spend more than 10 hours in a summer at most working on their bunker game. I am happy to admit the average bunker at most clubs is a lottery in terms of the depth of sand, quality of lie and sometimes you go in one and a bogey is a good result and take dropped shot and move on

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, not at all, but I think it should make it much more of a challenge to make par.
In many instances it's now easier to get up and down from the sand than it is from the rough just off the green ......................... and I think that's wrong.
Bunkers were originally put there to make life more difficult, not easier.
all they have to do is use a rake with bigger tines so it looks like a mini ploughed field .
Not farm sized just enough to create peaks and troughs so the lie is not perfect.
Some pros are that good they aim for the bunker as their choice of best place to miss.