Bunkers

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Our bunkers are a inconsistent, to say the least. Yesterday, after a massive effort from the green staff, they were pretty good. Today, after a day of being raked, (or not) by the members, they were rubbish again.

Best avoided.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sounds like the greenkeepers actually made the bunkers worse than they were.
We all know bunkers are hazards and are to be avoided but if they arr going to do a job at least do it properly.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
how deep are these bunkers?

I would be inclined to just chip out as you would on a tight lie unless these are very deep bunkers.

in fact quite a few parkland courses ive played the bunkers are pretty terrible with little or no sand in and or compacted, luckily they don't tend to be any more than a foot or so deep on the whole, so just chip out.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Love to see the Pros dealing with pot bunkers this time of year.

All too often, a bunker is barely even a penalty for the Pros and they would probably be as well in a bunker as they would the rough.

Clearly a bunker is meant to be a hazard, and if you can still hit the ball 160 yards onto the green from one - then it doesn't really bring risk / reward into play.

The deep bunkers that lead to a hack out mean they are a real penalty and guys have to either be very accurate or lay up short of them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
its actually not the same for everyone because anytime someone goes into a bunker they then rake the bunker leaving the sand nice and fluffy for the players behind - which was also another point that frustrated the group that went out early

What!! You actually have a club where all members rake the bunkers themselves!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had linings put in ours two years ago like thick padding felt.
I have gone from a good bunker player to a glad to get out player.
You just don’t know if you are hitting sand or going to hit the lining.
Played a shot on Saturday and the sole of my club had Bruce’s wig on it.
When the sand got really dry it falls off the banks to expose the linings.
absolute disaster and they have done everyone.

The lads were saying they are going to use the artificial interference rule to try to get the club to do something about them.
I am not holding my breath.