Shotgun Starts

PaulS

Visit site
Do we not have shotgun start scheduled for H4H at Bearwood? There's certainly more than 42 players planned. Any thoughts around that?

It will have the same issues and hurdles to overcome , with it seemingly two months away I suspect a lot will change in that period with guidelines changing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, playing devils advocate, you’ve just played in a fourball, or even a threeball, you finish your round and go to the bar, are you then all sitting together?

Where I play -

No if you want to sit inside the clubhouse and all come from different households.

Yes if you want to sit outside.

The rules are simple - inside you are allowed to have only people from two households sitting together.

All of our inside tables are set up with just 2 seats and we are instructed not to move the seats.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a shotgun start at the RickG day at Coventry on 13 August,

The field has been limited to 42 as that is the Covid safe capacity of the clubhouse.

I’m happy with that

What happens when all 42 want to get a drink at the same time. Are they having sit at your table and it is waitress service. How long between when the first person gets their drink and the last person gets theirs.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
What happens when all 42 want to get a drink at the same time. Are they having sit at your table and it is waitress service. How long between when the first person gets their drink and the last person gets theirs.

We have had table service since the clubhouse reopened, and with the Sunday dinners, specific meal (Fish Friday's) days & Steak nights we have had, which have been well supported whilst members came & went off the course, and with over 225 entries in Saturday comps and 100+ in midweek comps, along with most days fully booked of tee times, all have operated very well without any issues with plenty of staff to hand, especially as we have a large balcony area as well as a large lounge/dining room, and we haven't reopened our bar yet where there's even more room if needed.

If thought out correctly with the right amount of staff on hand, numbers don't have to be a issue with the right resources put in place.

Swango1980

Visit site
Thanks for comments. The reason for my initial query is that, we have an annual sponsored event that is a shotgun start. As a Committee, it was decided it was not a good idea to go ahead with it. Even if procedures are put in place for payment and so on, having up to 72 people arrive at same time, many of who will inevitably go into clubhouse to get a drink, toilet, etc and then the same issues after the round, is a recipe for disaster (I don't even have room for 72 cars in car park). And, given that the perception of social distancing is such a sensitive topic, holding such an event is likely to receive a lot of criticism from some quarters (as demonstrated in this thread). Of course, deciding not to hold it has received criticism from others, who think it is manageable, so it is likely to be an emotive topic at tonight's Committee Meeting.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't play in a 72 strong field shotgun and would certainly keep clear of the clubhouse. Nor would I help administrate one on the day. How would you propose scoring and score returns are handled? Golf Genius could be a tool but guaranteeing enough available phones and dishing out access codes on the day would be a logistics nightmare

Swango1980

Visit site
I wouldn't play in a 72 strong field shotgun and would certainly keep clear of the clubhouse. Nor would I help administrate one on the day. How would you propose scoring and score returns are handled? Golf Genius could be a tool but guaranteeing enough available phones and dishing out access codes on the day would be a logistics nightmare
In comps so far, members enter scores directly using the new Anytime Golf feature on howdidido, and send a photo of their scorecard to the comp sec, who then checks the scores before closing the comp. So, that could be done to a degree (except non-members also play in this event and won't have howdidido). However, even with this, you are correct that handling scoring returns would still be almost impossible I think, when the sponsors like to announce the winners immediately after. Bit difficult for the comp sec to make sure all scores are in and top scores checked, without handling at least some cards or chasing people who don't know how to work a phone app.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If thought out correctly with the right amount of staff on hand, numbers don't have to be a issue with the right resources put in place.

Therein lies the essence of what happens where you play- a lot of clubs would not be in good enough financial circumstances to do that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Rulefan

I have been doing some scorecard input this year whilst the appropriate staff member was still on furlough. I only agreed to do it if the cards were quarantined for at least one day which meant they were processed 2 days after the comp.

When we have our club champs this year I have thought of a process whereby cards are not handled on the day but is does mean a scorer on hand as soon as the players start to come in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our Captain's Day is coming in a couple of weeks time. We normally do an 8am shotgun start competition. It's been cancelled. Replaced by a normal start competition. Nothing particularly unusual about our layout or particularly difficult about our car parking.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s good you are happy with it , it’s clearly a potential for social distancing issues even on a small scale with significant numbers arriving at the same time in multiple areas

But we have seen many occasions over the past couple of months where the British Citizen sees guidelines as optional as opposed to mandatory

There have been clubs fined and sanctioned for causing social distancing issues

On a separate note why a shotgun start with just 40 people - that’s just 1 hr 40 worth of tee times leaving the rest of the course for members etc - seems a waste of resource unless the course is very quiet. No benefit of having a shotgun start for 40 people.

Ah, but there's the rub. Guidelines aren't mandatory.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All comps so far have been four scores on one card and one signature including our better ball stableford honours board event on Sunday. We have Captain's Day still in the diary and food apparently still planned although I am doubtful (especially given the new message from Boris today) how that will happen and to be honest I think I'll pass