Shotgun Starts

Swango1980

Visit site
The biggest problem is what happens at the end.

Will all the players congregate in the club house at the same time? Will that even be possible?
And at the start. Up to 72 people turning up around the same time. Then, as you say, up to 72 people finishing about the same time. Doesn't seem right, but I don't think England Golf have ruled it out in their Covid guidelines.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Terrible idea and to be honest the idea of so many people in one place at the same time isn't good. I thought there were guidelines when clubhouses reopened on a limited number of people being allowed in at any given time

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Terrible idea and to be honest the idea of so many people in one place at the same time isn't good. I thought there were guidelines when clubhouses reopened on a limited number of people being allowed in at any given time

This, EG may not have mentioned “Shotgun” starts but just reading the guidelines would automatically rule them out.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So, playing devils advocate, you’ve just played in a fourball, or even a threeball, you finish your round and go to the bar, are you then all sitting together?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So, playing devils advocate, you’ve just played in a fourball, or even a threeball, you finish your round and go to the bar, are you then all sitting together?
Yes. But 'socially distanced' as per guidelines.
After a Shotgun round, the entire field is likely to stream into the bar, or wherever, at the same time - so huge potential for transmission! Just a BAD Idea!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our club has placed seats and tables and we are not allowed to move them. The maximum I've seen around a table is 3 chairs. If a 4 ball come in they have to sit at separate tables as that is the only way the correct spacing can be kept. Other clubs I've been in recently have been the same, the seating is fixed, although not literally.

The above inevitably means that potentially there may not be enough space for a group coming in if other groups decide to stay for a while. A club would have to have a heck of a bar to cope with a shotgun start / finish in a safe manner. It's unrealistic.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Yes. But 'socially distanced' as per guidelines.
After a Shotgun round, the entire field is likely to stream into the bar, or wherever, at the same time - so huge potential for transmission! Just a BAD Idea!

Not what I asked, so let me clarify it more, do you, as a fourball or threeball all sit at the same table together.

If you do, indoors, then that’s in breach of the current guidelines, as only 2 households should share a table or sit together.

Whilst everyone is quick to denounce a shotgun start due to a mass congregation following the round, if the clubhouse can accommodate everyone and split them as per current guidelines, offer a table service etc, then its not an issue, but those same people will happily sit indoors having a drink with the fourball they’ve just played with in normal tee time conditions, so you can’t pick & choose which guidelines you want to abide to and those you don’t!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Our club has placed seats and tables and we are not allowed to move them. The maximum I've seen around a table is 3 chairs. If a 4 ball come in they have to sit at separate tables as that is the only way the correct spacing can be kept. Other clubs I've been in recently have been the same, the seating is fixed, although not literally.

The above inevitably means that potentially there may not be enough space for a group coming in if other groups decide to stay for a while. A club would have to have a heck of a bar to cope with a shotgun start / finish in a safe manner. It's unrealistic.

There was no mention of a full field in the OP, but it’s fair to say the assumption was based on that.

So the answer should be, imo, a shotgun can happen if you restrict the numbers to accommodate them in the clubhouse safely as per current guidelines.

PaulS

Visit site
England Golfs directive that all clubs must have tee booking facility was there to ensure crowds don’t arrive at the same time at the club , to ensure limited numbers on practise facilities , in the car park , in the locker room, toilets , pro shop etc - and then when finished you have 3/4 people every ten mins going to the bar so that the small staff only have to serve that group. Also it allows every club to reduce the capacity in the bar etc

Now if you have a shotgun start it’s going to be over 60 for it to be worthwhile for the players and the club - no club will shut down the course for less

So you will have large numbers arriving at the club at the same time, crowds in locker rooms , putting greens - then in the bar after you again have large numbers , even if you can sit everyone down how can you serve them all at the same time ?!

It’s just clear common sense at the end of the day - and organising a shotgun start under current guidelines shows a lack of common sense

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In a different country so different rules apply but had an 80 player shotgun start on Saturday, full locker-room post golf, full clubhouse at buffet lunch afterwards, no distancing whatsoever, no masks being worn, widespread handshakes & hugs. Amazing to appreciate the simple things again
(fingers crossed the situation doesn’t lapse in future & hopefully normality comes back everywhere soon)

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
We have a shotgun start at the RickG day at Coventry on 13 August,

The field has been limited to 42 as that is the Covid safe capacity of the clubhouse.

I’m happy with that

PaulS

Visit site
It’s good you are happy with it , it’s clearly a potential for social distancing issues even on a small scale with significant numbers arriving at the same time in multiple areas

But we have seen many occasions over the past couple of months where the British Citizen sees guidelines as optional as opposed to mandatory

There have been clubs fined and sanctioned for causing social distancing issues

On a separate note why a shotgun start with just 40 people - that’s just 1 hr 40 worth of tee times leaving the rest of the course for members etc - seems a waste of resource unless the course is very quiet. No benefit of having a shotgun start for 40 people.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Do we not have shotgun start scheduled for H4H at Bearwood? There's certainly more than 42 players planned. Any thoughts around that?
Was thinking the same when this thread popped up.
With a bit of luck SD measures could be relaxed further by then making it viable. But it could definitely be a problem.
The only real benefit to a shotgun start is to get people off the course and into the bar/dinner at more or less the same time.
I remember one of the first H4H, could have been at Blackmoor where we didn't do a shotgun and those who came in first were nine parts to the wind before dinner...
If the layout and size of the clubhouse can cope with the numbers then it shouldn't be a major issue - Bearwood has loads of space - but the limiting factor has to be how many can be in the bar at one time.