Shot tracking devices

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
The recent thread on Game Golf rekindled my interest in shot tracking. I was an avid Game Golf user until it crashed, and liked the interface etc. I have looked at alternatives, shot scope, arcoss and GarminCT10, but was just after some feedback from users.

My issue is I don't want to have my phone in my pocket, which i think is necessary for shotscope, unless you purchase the separate caddy link (?) and arcoss.

I have a Garmin watch so can track my shots (apart from chips and putts) with that (albeit manually clicking on my watch). That works OK but I would need to buy some sensors to complete the tracking functionality. The Garmin stats etc seem limited though.

Any users care to give me some feedback on their experiences.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Used Shotscope last year with a V3 watch/GPS/tags. It works reasonably well. Takes some after round editing, especially for putts, pin location, and penalty shots. But can be done. The resulting data is comprehensive, interesting and helpful imo

PaulMdj

Visit site
I switched Arccoss when GG failed, Phone stays in bag, very rarely misses a shot, mainly tap in putts, no issues with GPS, customer support excellent and all the stats you’d want or need.

Yes there is a subscription charge, but if you’re happy to pay imo it’s excellent.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Used Shotscope last year with a V3 watch/GPS/tags. It works reasonably well. Takes some after round editing, especially for putts, pin location, and penalty shots. But can be done. The resulting data is comprehensive, interesting and helpful imo
Thanks, do you have to use the watch though? I have a Garmin that I am very happy with, so would prefer to stick with that. Was hoping I could just get the tags and maybe a device to pair with them.
I have heard that leaving your phone in your bag causes issues when you aren't hitting next to the bag , around the green for instance.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I switched Arccoss when GG failed, Phone stays in bag, very rarely misses a shot, mainly tap in putts, no issues with GPS, customer support excellent and all the stats you’d want or need.

Yes there is a subscription charge, but if you’re happy to pay imo it’s excellent.
Thanks Paul. Having investigated the subscription costs I'd say that is more than Id be willing to pay 😳

Springveldt

Visit site
Thanks, do you have to use the watch though? I have a Garmin that I am very happy with, so would prefer to stick with that. Was hoping I could just get the tags and maybe a device to pair with them.
I have heard that leaving your phone in your bag causes issues when you aren't hitting next to the bag , around the green for instance.
You are confusing Shot Scope and Arccos. You don’t need a phone for Shot Scope and you don’t need a subscription either.

With Shot Scope you get the tags and they work with a watch (receiver is in the strap) or they have another option with just what is basically the watch face but I think you have to tap the tags onto that.

I switched from Garmin to Shot Scope a few years ago now as for golf there was no comparison, Shot Scope blows Garmin away when it comes to stat tracking to improve your game. The Garmin “stats” were lacking to say the least, they were terrible and give you next to zero insight into your game.

If you wear the Garmin all the time and it does fitness tracking for you then it can be a pain switching the watches just for golf but it’s worth it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The recent thread on Game Golf rekindled my interest in shot tracking. I was an avid Game Golf user until it crashed, and liked the interface etc. I have looked at alternatives, shot scope, arcoss and GarminCT10, but was just after some feedback from users.

My issue is I don't want to have my phone in my pocket, which i think is necessary for shotscope, unless you purchase the separate caddy link (?) and arcoss.

I have a Garmin watch so can track my shots (apart from chips and putts) with that (albeit manually clicking on my watch). That works OK but I would need to buy some sensors to complete the tracking functionality. The Garmin stats etc seem limited though.

Any users care to give me some feedback on their experiences.

I got all the CT sensors , if I was doing again I'd just get wedged and add the shots manually but it is useful

Very hands off and no fees

You get a lot of information on the app afters

Only annoying thing is I changed all the batteries the other day after 2-3 years can't remember but now their saying low battery again on some of them ...

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’ve got the ShotScope X5 watch and after some initial teething problems with the watch (released before it was actually properly finished IMO) it’s now a great piece of kit. I’ve had very few issues of missed shots so you can completely forget about it whilst playing. The issue I’ve had in the past with GG (and similar) was I struggled with having to tag each shot before hitting and I’d invariably miss a load of shots. The X5 means I don’t have to worry about it.

Reactions: sjw

Albo

Visit site
I have to say as an Arcoss user it misses loads of shots for me! With the link or the phone.
I regularly shoot in the 80s and if I don’t keep an eye on/update Arcoss continually tells me I’ve shot in the 60s. My guess it it misses 18-25 shots a round for me.
Edit to say, if you keep on top of it and post round edit the stats are amazing, but if not recommend

Viewer

Visit site
I have to say as an Arcoss user it misses loads of shots for me! With the link or the phone.
I regularly shoot in the 80s and if I don’t keep an eye on/update Arcoss continually tells me I’ve shot in the 60s. My guess it it misses 18-25 shots a round for me.
Edit to say, if you keep on top of it and post round edit the stats are amazing, but if not recommend
Which shots…..must be user error. Front pocket?

Albo

Visit site
Which shots…..must be user error. Front pocket?
Not sure how its user error, phone is always in front pocket, and link is always attached to front pocket too (left pocket for right handed golfer).
Had it switched on today for my first round it had me at 78 and I shot 84 or 85. So perhaps 18-25 was a bit harsh.

Just having a look, I got a bird on 1 and it had me at a par, par on 2 it had me at a bird, double on 3 when I had a single, bogey on 4 when I had a double, bogey on 5 was right, par on 6 was right, bogey on 7 when I got a double (one was a drop in fairness), bogey on 8 was right and it had me bogey on 9 when I got par.
So on the front 9 alone it was correct on 4 holes wrong on 5
Better on the back 9 had me correct on 7 holes

Last edited:

Viewer

Visit site
Not sure how its user error, phone is always in front pocket, and link is always attached to front pocket too (left pocket for right handed golfer).
Had it switched on today for my first round it had me at 78 and I shot 84 or 85. So perhaps 18-25 was a bit harsh

Are you using link or phone? Can’t use both. New link or old link? Old link is crap unless you are playing in short sleeves.

Albo

Visit site
Are you using link or phone? Can’t use both. New link or old link? Old link is crap unless you are playing in short sleeves.
It doesn’t matter what I use; most rounds with old link, some rounds with a phone, same results.
Don’t have new link.
Not sure when short sleeves would have an impact?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe some things work better in some areas than others.
I stopped using shotscope when it was regularly measuring the length of my tee shots as about 150-170 yds on a par3 when the hole measures over 200 yds and I was hitting to the middle of the green.

Viewer

Visit site
It doesn’t matter what I use; most rounds with old link, some rounds with a phone, same results.
Don’t have new link.
Not sure when short sleeves would have an impact?

Short sleeves means no jumper! It’s clearly you….need to assess how you use it. Old link is useless. Phone is fine but just try using phone in own.

Albo

Visit site
Short sleeves means no jumper! It’s clearly you….need to assess how you use it. Old link is useless. Phone is fine but just try using phone in own.
Ah sorry get you now, in fairness my top doesn’t come down over the link so theoretically should make no difference.
As I said I’ve tried to just use phone several times but it still doesn’t pick up any better, or worse.
I wish I could get it working as I’m a big fan of the stats but on rounds where I’m just firing round on my own in a couple of hours I don’t want to be looking at my phone checking things every hole I just want to fire and forget

Viewer

Visit site
Ah sorry get you now, in fairness my top doesn’t come down over the link so theoretically should make no difference.
As I said I’ve tried to just use phone several times but it still doesn’t pick up any better, or worse.
I wish I could get it working as I’m a big fan of the stats but on rounds where I’m just firing round on my own in a couple of hours I don’t want to be looking at my phone checking things every hole I just want to fire and forget
What is else do you do when on you’re on your own other than play with your phone!!! All I do is change putting distance and that about it.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Had it switched on today for my first round it had me at 78 and I shot 84 or 85. So perhaps 18-25 was a bit harsh.

Just having a look, I got a bird on 1 and it had me at a par, par on 2 it had me at a bird, double on 3 when I had a single, bogey on 4 when I had a double, bogey on 5 was right, par on 6 was right, bogey on 7 when I got a double (one was a drop in fairness), bogey on 8 was right and it had me bogey on 9 when I got par.
So on the front 9 alone it was correct on 4 holes wrong on 5
Better on the back 9 had me correct on 7 holes
Is that mainly putts? That were I get 99% of errors.