GPS Watches

Grizzly

Visit site
So, I was looking on ebay for a relatively economical watch, as the latest updates to Hole19 have made it incredibly difficult to use on the course. I don't want to spend much over £100, and am looking for something that is easy to use (I'm not great with technology) and has an up to date database of courses (our course flipped its 9's five years ago and some watches still have them in reverse).

I've seen Garmin Approach S12, Bushnell iOn Edge and Shot Scope G3 within my broad price range.

Anyone used these and prepared to share thoughts/recommendations?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have an S12, it replaced my S1. I've had it about 3-4 months and am really pleased with it. It locks on and finds your course very quickly. Very simple to use, very clear. It does the basics, front, middle and back, you can measure individual shot distances, but also shows distances to hazards. At the end of a round it gives you the time spent and distance walked. Not critical but nice. It's very light and comfortable to wear.

It may do other things but I don't bother.

Once charged it lasts an age. I played 4 rounds and a month of 'normal ' watch usage before needing to charge it again first time up. Now I play 3 times and charge, just to be sure, but in effect the battery life is excellent.

This isn't a sexy watch with colour displays but it does all a golf watch needs to do and is very wearable for everyday use.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have an S12, it replaced my S1. I've had it about 3-4 months and am really pleased with it. It locks on and finds your course very quickly. Very simple to use, very clear. It does the basics, front, middle and back, you can measure individual shot distances, but also shows distances to hazards. At the end of a round it gives you the time spent and distance walked. Not critical but nice. It's very light and comfortable to wear.

It may do other things but I don't bother.

Once charged it lasts an age. I played 4 rounds and a month of 'normal ' watch usage before needing to charge it again first time up. Now I play 3 times and charge, just to be sure, but in effect the battery life is excellent.

This isn't a sexy watch with colour displays but it does all a golf watch needs to do and is very wearable for everyday use.
I have one of these too and it's exactly as you say, very easy to use. One criticism I had was that once in course mode you couldn't see the time, until a mate showed me, press bottom right button and it shows the time, then press top right to back on course.
Simples ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have one of these too and it's exactly as you say, very easy to use. One criticism I had was that once in course mode you couldn't see the time, until a mate showed me, press bottom right button and it shows the time, then press top right to back on course.
Simples ?
I've done that sort of thing so many times. A mini moan about something only to be shown how the device in question, frequently my phone, can actually do it ?‍♂️. Read the manual blah, blah ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, I was looking on ebay for a relatively economical watch, as the latest updates to Hole19 have made it incredibly difficult to use on the course. I don't want to spend much over £100, and am looking for something that is easy to use (I'm not great with technology) and has an up to date database of courses (our course flipped its 9's five years ago and some watches still have them in reverse).
Have they?? What do you mean? I still use it and I just paid for the premium version to see what that does.

Grizzly

Visit site
Have they?? What do you mean? I still use it and I just paid for the premium version to see what that does.

The fact that it shuts down whenever your phone goes on to stand by, so you have to reload, wait a minute then flick to your hole?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The fact that it shuts down whenever your phone goes on to stand by, so you have to reload, wait a minute then flick to your hole?
Erm, no? Haha. Not had that at all. Only problem I had the other week was that it was lagging two holes behind, but they seem to have fixed that.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I've been using a Garmin S12 for the last 6-7 months. It really does everything I think I could want.
It's in black and white, loads of colours is prettier but the info is the same.

TigerBear

Visit site
Erm, no? Haha. Not had that at all. Only problem I had the other week was that it was lagging two holes behind, but they seem to have fixed that.

Not had that either.

Had the same issue with two holes behind. Reinstalled the app and working fine again.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I bought and returned two v3 shot scopes but judging by the forums I’ve been unlucky. First one lasted 2 weeks and just died, second one would not register the shots but I noticed the seal had been broken on the box so I had a bit of a whinge at American golf as I suspect it had been returned for the same fault and they just stuck it back on the shelf.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Went from the Garmin S3 to S 12 and it’s a thing of beauty. Bought mine as new for £120. Saw them on Amazon prime last week for £99 plus pence. That’s a steal. ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just purchased an S12 from Snainton Golf for £109.00. Couldn't find one at the cheaper price anywhere.
I'm hoping the software for it will be better than it was for my previous Bushnell Neo XS, because that never worked properly, although the watch itself was pretty good.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not had that either.

Had the same issue with two holes behind. Reinstalled the app and working fine again.

I've never had an issue with Hole19 other than randomly having to re-login on my phone app which takes a few seconds!

@Orikoru - premium is where its at!

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Just purchased an S12 from Snainton Golf for £109.00. Couldn't find one at the cheaper price anywhere.
I'm hoping the software for it will be better than it was for my previous Bushnell Neo XS, because that never worked properly, although the watch itself was pretty good.
I have used my S12 at several courses and not had a problem with it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never had an issue with Hole19 other than randomly having to re-login on my phone app which takes a few seconds!

@Orikoru - premium is where its at!
Not sure where I'll see the benefit yet, based on Saturday the sharper imaging is quite nice, and I measured my drive twice just out of curiosity. That was about it really.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not sure where I'll see the benefit yet, based on Saturday the sharper imaging is quite nice, and I measured my drive twice just out of curiosity. That was about it really.

For me its the stats and using my watch for all the data inputting that makes it worth it!

Don't often measure shots - nor do I use the shot by shot function.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me its the stats and using my watch for all the data inputting that makes it worth it!

Don't often measure shots - nor do I use the shot by shot function.
I wouldn't wear a watch. I only decided to invest in premium on my golf trip last week when the image was a bit blurry and I couldn't tell the difference between water and trees. :LOL: I'm sure there are other benefits I'll use over time.