Shot 70 but DQ'ed and given a score of 106

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I may be totally wrong but I seem to remember way back that, in the absence of a committee member being at the course during a competition, that the pro staff can take that responsibility and I'd say, if that is the case at your club then their instruction would be the latest instruction you received and you acted correctly.

I may be quite wrong though?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't, and I've never really heard anyone at the club speak about the terms of competition.

It doesn't appear that the terms for my club are available online. So I will have to email them and see if I can get a copy.

Thanks for suggesting this.
If you get no satisfaction from an appeal to the committee this would certainly be a case for an appeal to your County.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I think the crux of the issue is whether you registered for the round and not really how you returned the score. Our Terms of Competition state that a player must register for the round , for us , on ClubV1. Registering for the round on HowDidIDo is the sane thing. We insist on a scorecard for a competition score return because, as previously mentioned, the HowDidIDo App does not have a very good verification process.
Similar with us for the Scottish Golf App. After the first 2 or 3 weeks we asked that everyone fill in a normal scorecard as back up in case anything went wrong (which it does every week). IF we have an issue we ask the player to email it through. We haven't DQ'd anyone this year as with Covid and the appalling state of the SG App, we think a degree of common sense and latitude has to be applied.

That said from this weekend we will no longer be scoring via the SG App, it's just not worth the hassle, all players have been instructed that only a paper scorecard will speak, and entry into the club computer terminal is expected post-game. Cards to be fully filled out as per pre-covid restrictions.

I think your H'cap Sec/Committee are being arses here tbh

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my experience of joining the Handicap and Comps committee I find many people responsible for being part of it do not know the rules in depth. For me it is has just been a simple case of advising those responsible of the rules to get errors corrected and polite reminders/pointing to to the rules gets more things done than getting irate about it.

It is very much like the Rules of Golf generally there are not many that are prepared to read the rules in depth and keep up with all changes.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Just my thoughts, but when someone neglects to enter their score via HDID at ours, the handicap chairman will do it on the member’s behalf (assuming a card has been returned of course), but will then DQ them. Surely that’s a fair compromise, as the score should still be registered for handicap purposes.

It sounds to me as though you have a very over zealous committee.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
The handicap committee should also not be posting 18 "0"s or "NR"s to your record since this is not an acceptable score. Since you have submitted your scorecard, they must enter your actual scores onto WHS.

If you hadn't submitted your score, they should be seeking to establish your score for entry onto WHS, and giving consideration to applying a penalty score if non-submission became a regular occurrence.

I was thinking exactly this, they have not right to change the score you submitted for handicap purposes, whilst they me see that they can DQ I think this is unreasonable

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm amazed that only got 11 responses Bob - great question!

For me, golf has always been about improving my golfing skills, challenging myself.
Whether it's being able to split the fairway with a driver, drilling a 1 iron into the wind, finding the pins with your irons or holing those tricky putts, it's my ability to challenge the course and hopefully beat it, that's what used to drive me.
And it's something I can go and do on my own, me against the course.
So when I read about a good golfer who plays by the rules of golf but gets dq'd by some stupid local rule, it saddens me as most people have no idea how much work it takes to get to scratch and be told you're dq'd and you've shot 106
Mental.

Last edited:

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surely the crux of this one is whether the pro shop is delegated to act on behalf of the competition committee. If yes, then the OP has excellent grounds for appeal. If no, then it's hard luck on the OP.

Also, if no, then make sure you phone the comp committee to clarify EVERY slight doubt about rules or procedure - particularly if they happen really really really early in the morning ;)

JW Branny

Visit site
Just a quick update for anyone still interested. After a few emails with the handicap committe the 'fake' 106 has now been changed to 70 (the score that I actually shot). Similarly the 30+ other players, who seemed to have suffed the same fate as myself, have also had their actual scores input.

However, the DQ does not seem like it will be reversed and what I can assume from other communications is that players will continue to be DQ'ed in the future for not entering their score on Howdidido. Hopefully the correct scores are entered regardless of a DQ going forward.

I have asked the club for a copy of their Terms of competition. Although I have had no problem entering my scores online in the past, this experience has left a sour taste. So I will have wait for this document and see what grounds, if any, I can challenge the necessity to enter scores on Howdiddo.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It does not matter what is in the terms of competition at your club, interpretation 3.3b(2)/1 makes it very cear that you cannot be disqualified for failing to enter your score into an eletronic devise.

3.3b(2)/1 Players Are Required to Enter Only Scores on a Scorecard

There is a difference between requiring players to enter a score for a round into a computer (such as for handicapping purposes) and being required to enter hole scores using an electronic form of scorecard approved by the Committee (such as a mobile scoring application).
The Committee may require players to use a scorecard other than a paper scorecard (such as an electronic form of scorecard), but the Committee has no authority to impose a penalty under Rule 3.3b(2) for failing to enter scores elsewhere.
However, to help in administrative matters (such as the efficient production and communication of competition results), a Committee may apply a penalty under a Code of Conduct (Rule 1.2b) or provide disciplinary sanctions (such as revoking entry into the next competition) for failing to enter scores elsewhere.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It does not matter what is in the terms of competition at your club, interpretation 3.3b(2)/1 makes it very clear that you cannot be disqualified for failing to enter your score into an eletronic device.

That's not quite right. The committee may require players to use an electronic form of scorecard. What the Interpretation says is that it cannot penalise them under the rules of golf for not entering their scores in an additional way.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I always thought disqualification was a last resort to be used only when the seriousness of the ''crime'' meant that no other punishment would be considered adequate.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
That's not quite right. The committee may require players to use an electronic form of scorecard. What the Interpretation says is that it cannot penalise them under the rules of golf for not entering their scores in an additional way.

I was addressing this specific situation, but realise now in an haphazard way, An electronic scorecard is acceptable provided it fully meets the definition of a Scorecard. As I understand it HowDidiDo does not have marker certification.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I understand it HowDidiDo does not have marker certification.
That is correct. They have been/are being asked to provide this (together with other functions available in the (flakey?) EG app) but apparently the requirements are not specified in the licence contract.
It would seem that customer pressure will have to be applied.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
If he's in dispute with committee anyway he's probably not going to be popular already. ;)

Any committee member whose decision making is questioned in a proper, dignified and non rude way, by a player who feels the decision might be wrong against him, who then makes mischief against the appellant, is not fit to be a committee member.
It is hoped that committee members are more fair minded than to hold grudges because decisions are ( in a proper manner) challenged.