Shortest period a club has been in the bag?

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
One shot, demoed an 'SLDR mini driver' from our pro-shop once, took it to the first tee, hit it worse than I hit my driver, turned around a took it straight back to the pro-shop... :thup:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bought a new Blue Cobra F7 3 Wood just recently. Took out a demo make-up with a stiff shaft and hit pretty well. Had nearly all the dosh in my Pro account so bought one off the peg with a regular shaft. All my clubs are regular so I figured the F7 in regular would suit me even better.

So far I'm topping two out of every three shots.:confused: Not unless it gets its act together it could be moved to the garage.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Titleist 910 3 wood made it into my bag until the third tee when once again I hooked it into the wilderness, luckily my pp decided he would give it a whirl and promptly purchased it from me on the 5th.

D

Deleted member 21258

I bought a M1 5 wood in the pro shop and walked to the 1st tee. By the 2nd tee it was in my sons bag, he pinched it:(

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you can hit it brilliant on the range then you can hit it brilliant on the course. Why dump what is clearly a good club for you just because your golf course swing doesn't match your range swing? Why not persevere - it's as if you expect the club to hit the shot despite your swing. Why not work at it until you can hit it on the course as well as you hit it on the range - because when you can then you yourself will have clearly improved your game.

As you might expect from the above I have never dumped a club because it didn't work for me straight away. There have been some that I have struggled with but I have persevered and found that in all cases the problem was my swing - the club was just highlighting the swing issue. A bit of tweaking here and there - and hey presto.

It's a valid point. I can only assume that the mats at the range are helping me with the bad swings. On the course it's just a duff and a large divot. I have hit some nice shots with it though

I'm giving it until Christmas at the least. The money I will lose on it if it sell
It now compared to in a few months won't be much.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
If you can hit it brilliant on the range then you can hit it brilliant on the course. Why dump what is clearly a good club for you just because your golf course swing doesn't match your range swing? Why not persevere - it's as if you expect the club to hit the shot despite your swing. Why not work at it until you can hit it on the course as well as you hit it on the range - because when you can then you yourself will have clearly improved your game.

As you might expect from the above I have never dumped a club because it didn't work for me straight away. There have been some that I have struggled with but I have persevered and found that in all cases the problem was my swing - the club was just highlighting the swing issue. A bit of tweaking here and there - and hey presto.

I've got a great example of this happening to me. I brought an M2 for Christmas last year (2016 model - widely regarded at the time as the best driver on the market) and when I tried it out in AG I was hitting it ok. Not amazing but good enough for me to think yes I could get used to it, especially since I knew it was such a good driver. However, in the months that followed it went in the complete opposite direction and it was absolutely killing me. I was suffering with a huge slice and could not hit a fairway to save my life.

As a little experiment I tried my old driver again and rather frustratingly I hit it really well so I put back in the bag. I was absolutely gutted that I'd spent all this money on a fancy driver and it was useless. I started to contemplate selling it and I knew a few people that were interested but at the last minute I said no, I'm just going to give it a few more weeks, have a lesson and see if I can get it to work.

So I did just that and granted, it took more than a few weeks to sort out, but sort it out I did and boy oh boy am I glad that I did. I'm now in a position where it is the best club in my bag and hit it much much further than my old driver! It was definitely my swing that was causing the issues, I just needed to make some tweaks to get the best out of the M2.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've got a great example of this happening to me. I brought an M2 for Christmas last year (2016 model - widely regarded at the time as the best driver on the market) and when I tried it out in AG I was hitting it ok. Not amazing but good enough for me to think yes I could get used to it, especially since I knew it was such a good driver. However, in the months that followed it went in the complete opposite direction and it was absolutely killing me. I was suffering with a huge slice and could not hit a fairway to save my life.

As a little experiment I tried my old driver again and rather frustratingly I hit it really well so I put back in the bag. I was absolutely gutted that I'd spent all this money on a fancy driver and it was useless. I started to contemplate selling it and I knew a few people that were interested but at the last minute I said no, I'm just going to give it a few more weeks, have a lesson and see if I can get it to work.

So I did just that and granted, it took more than a few weeks to sort out, but sort it out I did and boy oh boy am I glad that I did. I'm now in a position where it is the best club in my bag and hit it much much further than my old driver! It was definitely my swing that was causing the issues, I just needed to make some tweaks to get the best out of the M2.

Good that you persevered - unfortunately it seems that many golfers give at with this thought - that somehow it was the golf club that was useless and not the golfers swing :)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Good that you persevered - unfortunately it seems that many golfers give at with this thought - that somehow it was the golf club that was useless and not the golfers swing :)

I really think it depends on whether the club is fitted and how well it is fitted. If it's not fitted well, yes you may get some good striked with the club but in general the club is fighting against your natural swing, and so you are trying to adapt your swing to the club. If it's a properly fitted club then I agree with 100%.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I really think it depends on whether the club is fitted and how well it is fitted. If it's not fitted well, yes you may get some good striked with the club but in general the club is fighting against your natural swing, and so you are trying to adapt your swing to the club. If it's a properly fitted club then I agree with 100%.

I beg to disagree - a bit... I have never had a golf club fitted and I have always been able - through not very hard work - to get to the point where I can hit it well. And I have never had to significantly change my natural swing to reach that point. I have found that where I have at first struggled with a club the hard work I have had to do was between the ears. But I admit to being a 100% techno-sceptic when it comes to a lot of stuff associated with golf clubs.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I beg to disagree - a bit... I have never had a golf club fitted and I have always been able - through not very hard work - to get to the point where I can hit it well. And I have never had to significantly change my natural swing to reach that point. I have found that where I have at first struggled with a club the hard work I have had to do was between the ears. But I admit to being a 100% techno-sceptic when it comes to a lot of stuff associated with golf clubs.

I would highly recommend being properly fitted. It's like playing football in boots 3 sizes too big, you can learn to do it, but you'll make life a lot wasier on yourself of you got some that fit.

Everyone is a different height/weight with different length arms and legs, with different swing speeds and angles etc. Expecting everyone to use the same clubs is madness. You may be lucky and naturally fit OEM clubs. But I'm 6'2" 16 stone rugby player with a quick swing, so give me a standard set that's too short, too shallow and with a shaft too whippy and I will struggle. Yes I can learn to use them, but it would be produce better results to fit clubs to my size and swing

D

Deleted member 17920

Taylor made ghost spider putter.

1 putt on the 1st green, wasn't impressed.

Dan then took it and I have never seen it again.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've had a few that only lasted a round. I buy second hand on eBay and, if I don't like them, I resell them for a similar price. Cheap way of trying clubs. And, of course, it's ALWAYS the club's fault, never mine!

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
About three rounds. I took my lovely old Callaway Steelhead III (which worked perfectly) and reshafted it with a ProForce UST V2 in the hope of picking up a few yards. Utterly ruined it. Idiot.