Shortening length of driver?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I keep seeing references to adding more swing weight or effecting swing weights, but as club golfers…. would a club golfer really notice any difference?

I’ve noticed shops that’s offer a “proper” custom fit will generally have a mix of heads, various shafts in various lengths and the build the club to your spec, if they are offering various lengths shafts how do they handle differing swing weights?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
It certainly won't apply to everyone but I have quite large hands and I use a baseball grip so I used to feel that I was running out of grip when gripping down. That was until my coach told me to wrap the bottom thumb as well to stop me casting.
You should try the Golfpride CP2 grips then. They don't taper as much from top to bottom, so you can grip down the club a bit more than normal grips without feeling much of a difference. I love them for that reason.
Also available in midsized if you've got shovelhands! ?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I keep seeing references to adding more swing weight or effecting swing weights, but as club golfers…. would a club golfer really notice any difference?

I’ve noticed shops that’s offer a “proper” custom fit will generally have a mix of heads, various shafts in various lengths and the build the club to your spec, if they are offering various lengths shafts how do they handle differing swing weights?
Maybe they won't notice or feel the difference, but it could be making a difference to how the club head squares back at impact, or maybe it opens or closes the club face at top of backswing?
You won't know it's happening, but your shotmaking may suffer as a result of less/more swingweight?
Or maybe it's all a load of baloney! ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe they won't notice or feel the difference, but it could be making a difference to how the club head squares back at impact, or maybe it opens or closes the club face at top of backswing?
You won't know it's happening, but your shotmaking may suffer as a result of less/more swingweight?
Or maybe it's all a load of baloney! ?

I’m inclined to go with the closing line. I tried a standard speeder 565 chopped to the fusion length from the butt end in my callaway xr16, it was exactly the same as standard 565, it made no difference in flight, shot shape or anything noticeable. I made no changes to swing weights. All that was different was that on absolute perfect strikes compared with stock length it was 10 yards less.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just had mine cut by half an inch which has reduced it to 45.

I’m the lower end of 5’10.

Yet to break it in, anyone done anything similar and did it make any difference?

If you don’t mind me asking, what driver do you have? Some are known for notoriously long shafts, the Taylormade r11s for example was 1.5 inches longer than the ping i20 when I was fitted for my cobra amp (which was also an inch shorter than the r11)

Bamberdele21

Visit site
If you don’t mind me asking, what driver do you have? Some are known for notoriously long shafts, the Taylormade r11s for example was 1.5 inches longer than the ping i20 when I was fitted for my cobra amp (which was also an inch shorter than the r11)

I bought a Ping G425 max after about a month of taking up golf.

Stuck one of those Bryson ultra max jumbo grips on straight away.

Tbf it’s all I’ve ever known. Should of played golf for a year or two before splashing out on equipment I had no real clue about.

I’ve definitely got used to the driver now. I used to have a massive slice. Now I’m hitting it slightly better. Can still hit the 300 yard aswell so not much distance lost.

I haven’t had any lessons since I reduced the shaft change but I feel more comfortable. Almost felt as if the shaft was too long for me to come more on the inside during my downswing. Always felt I’d hit it fat so I’d compensate for coming over the top? Hope that makes sense.

Probably all psychological but the slight tweak has definitely made a difference somewhere.

sunshine

Visit site
^^ This with knobs on.

I’ve never entirely understood why there would be a need to shorten a driver, certainly by as little as half an inch, when gripping down the shaft works just as well.

I regularly grip down my driver - it might cost me a few yards but it straightens me out and, perhaps more importantly given the exposed location of my club and the often windy conditions, lowers my trajectory considerably.

But if you shorten it, you can then grip down on that to get even more control.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve always cut down drivers (to play at 44.5” generally) and have never noticed any swingweight affects. We’re merry mortals, not Tour pros. The shorter shaft simply feels more comfortable over the ball. Cutting 1/2 inch off will have no discernible difference I would bet.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I did try it when I was having driver troubles a few years ago, but it didn't really work, it just meant I was short and wayward. It's important to correct a swing fault, rather than look for a quick fix.

But, you never know it may just work for you.?