Short Off The Tee

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Suggestions please.

Not me, but my mate who is shockingly poor off the tee. Yes he knows it. Yes, we've all told him to go and have lessons. He knows this as well but just never goes. But it get a bit tiresome hearing him say, " oo I caught that well" and see it travel 150 yards...even with run!!!!. Strangely when he hits iron of hydrids off the fairway he get the same distance. How can this be? Oh, he's got a bad slice, which is getting worse over the years. He's very armsy and doesn't complete his body turn. Apart from all that he ok. Got a great touch from just off the green. Poor putting as well.

Handicap....??? Go on guess. Been playing for 20 years at least.

Is there any tips I could give him to help him get him to 180 yards?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If he can hit hybrid the same as driver then his driver dosnt suit him.
He may need a softer shaft in driver to help.
But he sounds like he is not listening
So his real problem is his PPs not him.
Just leave him alone to enjoy his golf.;)

D

Deleted member 21258

Going against the normal forum replies to this kind of question or hitting it short and straight, Swinging faster is the clear answer, most swing speed comes from swinging the arms faster. (along with improving technical elements of the swing and launch conditions).

My swing speed does not really vary(edit within say 5%), if I swing armsy, with the body/arms, flat, steep and so on and that's with a pants swing that I have:(

Most people can swing faster with a bit of practise, I gained about 10+mph a few years ago and in the lockdown period the wife has gone from max swing speed of about 62mph to last night 78mph(quite a lazy swing to start with). Just starting to transition it onto the course and hitting a ball. Going to be an interesting 6-12 months as hopefully she transitions the extra speed to hitting the ball.

Summary, swing faster and stop being so flipping lazy :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Wolf

Visit site
Tell him to play with people that won't keep telling how to improve his game and let him get on with enjoying it. If he wants to improve he will either seek lessons or find a bit of kit that better suits him.

Alternatively tell him to come post on here and he can get untolds amount unsolicited advice ?

D

Deleted member 25172

Suggestions please.

Not me, but my mate who is shockingly poor off the tee. Yes he knows it. Yes, we've all told him to go and have lessons. He knows this as well but just never goes. But it get a bit tiresome hearing him say, " oo I caught that well" and see it travel 150 yards...even with run!!!!. Strangely when he hits iron of hydrids off the fairway he get the same distance. How can this be? Oh, he's got a bad slice, which is getting worse over the years. He's very armsy and doesn't complete his body turn. Apart from all that he ok. Got a great touch from just off the green. Poor putting as well.

Handicap....??? Go on guess. Been playing for 20 years at least.

Is there any tips I could give him to help him get him to 180 yards?

Who is annoyed here, and for what reason? You being annoyed when he claims to hit it well and it only goes 150? If so, don't be.
Is he annoyed that he think he catches it well but only gets it 150? If so, tell him to, well, basically to shut up unless he's gonna take the advice you and your mates have already given him.

D

Deleted member 21258

I reckon this is one of those 'my friend' stories, when really its crazyface who is the shortest hitter in the group and is just to embarrassed to admit to it.;):LOL:

Edit I enjoy CF posts most of the time, sure most are meant light hearted and tongue in cheek.

DCB

Visit site
Based on your description, sounds like he needs to get less armsy, get some proper rotation going, using the big muscles and syncing it properly. Which will most likely take lessons and a lot of practice and perseverance.

I think Kaz has a point here. After a bad accident I had to resort to a shorter more armsy swing as I couldnt rotate properly. A good drive goes 180-200 nowadays. It can mean you keep the ball straighter, but if this chap has a slice, there may be more to it.

Visit site
I have a mate who is VERY short off the tee, with a swing that I certainly wouldn't want to copy. He's off 24, and has never been better than 21.
So, I'm guessing that your "friend" is off 20. To be less than that with only 150 yards off the tee makes his short game really really good.

D

Deleted member 1147

Tell him that he’s embarrassing himself, and that he should either stop playing or learn to hit it properly

Visit site
I can count on one hand the number of par 5s I've reached in two over the last 17years. The only real game I've got is the short game.
A really good strike for me would be 250yards. Generally 220-230, which I'm told is not too bad for a (soon to be) 68 year old off 12.

Visit site
Tell him to play with people that won't keep telling how to improve his game and let him get on with enjoying it. If he wants to improve he will either seek lessons or find a bit of kit that better suits him.

Alternatively tell him to come post on here and he can get untolds amount unsolicited advice ?

If he came on here I'm sure someone has a spare forum 7-iron he could have - that should get him 200yards ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good be combination of poor technique and a drive that doesn't suit. A lesson or two is the clear answer but if he can get it round and having fun then if he's happy then leave him to it if he doesn't want to change

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I reckon this is one of those 'my friend' stories, when really its crazyface who is the shortest hitter in the group and is just to embarrassed to admit to it.;):LOL:

Edit I enjoy CF posts most of the time, sure most are meant light hearted and tongue in cheek.

Of all the posts to pick. I'd like to select this one. I really do mean well.....but on to the post. Sorry, I've been "feeding the nation" Phew....so busy!!!!
There were a few that hit the nail right on the head. I liked the shut up and let him play the game. Lots actually are right. Very very right!!!! He's golf nuts and Me and the rest of his many many mates know this. I was hoping for a crazy one thought / idea to give him the extra oooooomph with trying. Coz we know he's never gonna do the lessons. He had a spell hitting only hydrid off the tee and was much better. He's struggled on 28 for years and due to new rules has quickly jumped up to 32. Off whites at his course he will get to 35 soon. Off yellows he's ok, well should be really. Such a mates mate.