short game shots

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
yesterday I asked what clubs people use around the green so thanks for the replies and this is a follow up thread.

I'm very interested in using my irons more around the greens and looking for technique people use. i.e. putting chips or do you play the ball off your back foot?

Any youtube videos or sites describing the technique would be very much appreciated

cheers

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
According to Phil, there is only one way to chip.

I say he's forgotten the chip as you putt method?

I don't break my wrists to putt and nor would I to bump a 7 iron in from 10-30 yards.

Anyone else agree, or are you all wedged up to the exclusion of one of the best shots in golf?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
According to Phil, there is only one way to chip.

I say he's forgotten the chip as you putt method?

I don't break my wrists to putt and nor would I to bump a 7 iron in from 10-30 yards.

Anyone else agree, or are you all wedged up to the exclusion of one of the best shots in golf?

I agree. Keep it simple and chip like you putt. Why add hinge when it doesn't need to be there

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hinging the wrists ensures a crisp downward blow and helps to accellerate the club through impact. Both important aspects of good chipping.

You can use a putting stroke when chipping but it is prone to people thinning and hitting fat. It creates a shallow arc that requires perfect timing to create the right impact conditions.

Of course you dont break your wrists to putt as you dont want to strike down at the ball when putting. I would also hinge my wrists when bumping a 7 iron from 10 to 30 yards, why not? Its the follw through and ball position that keeps the ball low, there is more chance of thinning it with a putting method.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As golfers we all know the huge variety of shots we are called upon to play from close to the green.
Being able to play a variety of wristy shots and putting type shots is the way to go for me.
Sure, if you're 10 yards short of the green and the flag is on 20 yards on then absolutely use a wrist hinge.
However when you are close to the edge and the flag, the firm wrist shot is the one I'd often choose.