Short game practise

Visit site
Taking an honest assessment of my game, im planning on devoting a lot more practise time on my short game. I have seen articles about playing "par 18" to sharpen short game. However my club won't allow chipping onto putting green. We have a short game area that has targets but no manicured greens that allow you to putt after you chip/pitch.

Can anyone recommend any short game practises/drills that work for them. My short game is woeful, 13 handicap, hit lots of fairways but if miss the green the fun starts!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The best bet would be to get your chipping on video then youutube then post the link here.
We will be able to help you better with which drills you need

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Short game is putting as well.............very few golfers I know spend any more than a few min on the putting green. An hour on the puttting green is worth all day hitting balls.

My practice area doesnt really have a cut green....but, for around the green chips and lobs, I look at where I want the ball to land, not where the flag is.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
short game is pretty much the only practise i do. chipping andc putting before a round. very rare for me to hit full shots in practise unless i'm testing a new club.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am lucky, my course allows chipping on the practice green.

Why do more clubs not allow this? It does no damage, and the benefits for the player are immense.

Yer Maw

Head Pro
Visit site
It isn't rocket science is it. This summer my putting went to pot for a bit, so about 6 1 hr sessions over the course of 2 weeks and everything started going in.
If you don't have a good short game area then go to your course when quieter and find a spot with a couple of greens close to one another so you can use both whe people playing through and practise loads of bunkers, short and back of the green shots, shortish rough with various clubs to see what'll be consistent for you, loads of 8-SW rough to pin shots to see how far the ball runs with each using the same swing.
You want to conclude with what club will do what job in various circumstances and take your medicine when needed, but spend each session working on only one thing to get a real feel for what you want to achieve. Don't try to cure everything but become good at the situations you find yourself in the most.
For me it's getting consistency with mid to long irons which I still need to work on as thin and fat shots still do my head in.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a putting green you can chip onto. I use it and still don't have a short game worthy of the name but thats because I'm crap rather than anything else. I think if you can chip adequately and want to sharpen it up you need to be using different clubs and getting use to landing it on the proverbial sixpence so I'd be looking at ways to do that if I chip to start with

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Taking an honest assessment of my game, im planning on devoting a lot more practise time on my short game. I have seen articles about playing "par 18" to sharpen short game. However my club won't allow chipping onto putting green. We have a short game area that has targets but no manicured greens that allow you to putt after you chip/pitch.

Can anyone recommend any short game practises/drills that work for them. My short game is woeful, 13 handicap, hit lots of fairways but if miss the green the fun starts!!

Why not have a lesson and then practise what you are taught ? If your technique is poor hours of practice may not improve your skills.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was on our practice area recently and another guy was practising his chipping. he explained to me that he was hitting Shermans all the time when chipping. He must have hit one every three chips while I was there but he kept doing the same chipping stroke over and over.

He kept saying that he could not see what he was doing wrong but did not ask me for advice, I dont like to give advice like this unless asked directly.

I was reminded of Einstien's comment that Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Many of us practice a poor shot so many times and ingrain it so well that we can do little else but hit it.

In the end I had to tell him that he was taking the club back too far inside and returning with the face wide open,. I could not just stand back any more and see him suffer.

I guess what I am saying is that only perfect practice will create perfect shots.