Short game distance control

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My short game is probably the weakest part of my game right now... Looking for drills to help with this especially distance control and putting(last 2 rounds 41 & 39 putts).

I feel like my strike is good but really struggling with getting the ball to within 3-8 feet on chipping- often leaving myself with 20+ feet and sometimes 3 putt territory. My pitching yardages are crap too.

Last year I done clock drill and worked out distances but I don't know if it's I'm swinging easier or harder but they now seem way off.

Are there any drills I could use or is it just a case of practice practice practice???

Distance judgement by eye is always something I have struggled with but with full shots dmd usually helps

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Chipping

Assess the pin position and find the closest flat spot to you, about 3ft diameter minimum. This can be very close to the hole on rolling greens.

Pick the club to land on the spot and roll to the hole.

Puttinng

For the stroke thing twice as far through as you take it back, this promotes the acceleration into the ball as most medium length putts left are due to your mind trying to compensate for thinking your backswing is too long.

For long putts practice putting to a box 3 ft behind the ball and 3 ft either side. Putt 5 balls to this box and score 2 points for in, -1 for out and 3 for holes. Works from any medium/long distance range.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
a lot of practice will do it.

Ive a reasonable short game, chipping wise.... the reason I used to chip pretty much every day and sometimes multiple times. different clubs, distance targets and type of shots, high low etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just as well really Martin.
You don't want to complicate things, so the less watched, the better.
:whistle::whistle:

You'll be relieved then that I'm sticking to linear for chipping and will use it for pitching once I have the lesson with Gary Smith HID got me at Chrimbo. Until then I'll muddle on with a normal type (hit and miss). One technique for all my short game by April/May. Simple